The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Can I be a driver in my working holiday?

I love driving

iwanttogostockholm
post 29.Dec.2017, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of going to Sweden to have 1 year working holiday. I work as a taxi driver in Hong Kong, and really want to be a driver in Sweden. I have all types of driving licenses.

Normally, will any company employ a person on working holiday to be a driver? But I know nothing about Swedish and the roads of Sweden. I can only rely on GPS.

What about snowplough driver? There is long snowy winter in Sweden, and the country is quite big. Will it be shortage of snowplough drivers in winter?

Or, how to be a taxi driver in Sweden? Just rent a taxi and I do it on my own?

Thank you!
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 30.Dec.2017, 12:53 AM
Post #2

You will need Swedish licensure and insurance. Not so easy to get.
+
yet another brit
post 30.Dec.2017, 09:34 PM
Post #3

Well, as far as I know, your driving licence per se will be valid for private use, for one year (not being from the EU).

To drive a taxi - you need a separate endorsement (includes a medical, I recall). I suspect strongly, but don't know, that a foreign taxi licence doesn't count. There is not an undersupply of taxis or drivers here.

Driving a snow truck - well, I think the problem would be getting a job/contract even if your licence is valid. Again, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of drivers.

Good luck!
+
iwanttogostockholm
post 4.Jan.2018, 04:54 PM
Post #4

So, what jobs are in shortage?
+
yet another brit
post 5.Jan.2018, 11:55 AM
Post #5

IT folk of all types, healthcare professionals, teachers, construction workers...

There is the small problem of a work permit if you are from HK... you have to get a job first, then a work permit. You have to be a EU citizen to just come and find a job.
+
hatim
post 5.Jan.2018, 12:41 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 5.Jan.2018, 11:55 AM) *
IT folk of all types, healthcare professionals, teachers, construction workers...There is the small problem of a work permit if you are from HK... you have to get a job first, ... (show full quote)

I believe that OP specifically mentioned about new work holiday scheme that started for hong kong this year.
+
yet another brit
post 7.Jan.2018, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Didn't know about that scheme. I know there is one for Aussies...

Good luck, then!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: