The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

A movie above all others

state your personal preference

nic_tester
post 9.Nov.2010, 10:53 PM
Post #1

Me, i love movies. Or rather, i love narrative. Books, movies, tv, storyteller or what have you. It is an ancient art, as old as mankind itself and we are all stirred. But some storytelling is more skilled than other, some speakers touch more than others, some reach deeper into ourselves than others. Ive seen some movies that would put homer himself to shame, it is good to live in a time when there are so many people on the planet, so much talent, so few hard barriers to hold them back back So, what is your favourite?

Me, its hard to say. I say a movie just lately i liked alot, winters bone which was cute. Other favourites are "Last exit to brooklyn" "The Razor's Edge" "Matrix" "Starship troopers" well, the list goes on and on. I guess if i would choose one it would be "Barry Lyndon". Well told, beutiful and with a very humane, compassionate voice. You can not find one person in that movie that does not evoke sympathy, in one way or another. And there is not a person without blatant flaws. This is very sympathetic.

(personally im allergic to swedish movies. I did enjoy "My life as a dog" thou so guess i can nominate this as well)
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 9.Nov.2010, 11:10 PM
Post #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ik3yHjP2I...feature=related
+
Streja
post 9.Nov.2010, 11:16 PM
Post #3

Narratives...agree with you there. Films are great and novels are great.
I wish I could read all the classics but then I would have no time for new novels.

Favourites? There are so many. I really loved Mina drömmars stad and still do. I am in fact reading it again as I was like 16 last time I read it. Loved the whole stad series.

One novel that I love is The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston.

Films, well I really loved Atonement. Good adaptation.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 9.Nov.2010, 11:35 PM
Post #4

I love the films of my childhood like Planet of the Apes, King Kong, Day of the Triffids, Journey to the Centre of the Earth and the Hammer House films.
+
mjennin2
post 9.Nov.2010, 11:38 PM
Post #5

Movies are a tough one for me. It's not that I have a short attention span, but they have to be GREAT in order to keep me spell bound, and that's the only way I can enjoy a movie: If I am spell bound. Another thing, is that I can't ever seem to watch a movie more than once. Perhaps a year down the road when I've forgotten what happens and everything is anew for me... but some that I really enjoyed were Pan's Labyrinth, Shawshank Redemption, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Little Miss Sunshine, The Fall, Gattacca, and embarrasingly enough, I really enjoyed Armageddon (cheesy, I know wink.gif). Jurassic Park was also a really excellent one - the graphics, the storyline, the suspense. Pretty solid. Dances with Wolves has got to be one of the best of all time, too.

As for novels, I am reading Henryk Sienkiewicz's Ogniem i Mieczem in an English Translation entitled With Fire and Sword, it is such a brilliant masterpiece and beautiful novel and the fact that it is history just makes it all the more sweeter smile.gif
+
AmericanGuest
post 10.Nov.2010, 01:08 AM
Post #6

Movies like Usual Suspects, Eternal Sunshine, Amelie, Wall-E, Let the RIght One in, and Shutter Island come to mind.

I just finished watching the television series "The Wire" and that is undoubtedly above all others in my opinion, the realism and intensity is unrivaled. It's a shame more television isnt like this.
+
dahlin
post 10.Nov.2010, 07:30 AM
Post #7

I love an old slow movie so one of my all time favs is Babetes Feast, La Strada, Så som i Himmelen ( I sing in a choir) and Pulp Fiction (saw 3 times) jump to mind without having to wrack my brains remembering names of movies I have enjoyed.

(From this list its pretty obvious I haven't been to the movies much lately) smile.gif
+
snudel
post 10.Nov.2010, 07:50 AM
Post #8

The Godfather smile.gif
+
red.king
post 10.Nov.2010, 09:41 AM
Post #9

I will go really random here... Buffalo 66

One of the most underrated movies of the 90's. Vincent Gallo wrote, directed, produced, wrote music score and starred in it with Christina Ricci. He made it on a budget of $1.5 million.
+
*designersunglasses*
post 10.Nov.2010, 09:57 AM
Post #10

I am a kid at heart and i just have to say 3d animations like toy story
but the funniest movie i have ever watched was done by some unemployed students in the UK. It was one i saw at a film workshop. The film was filmed on a budget of $5,000 and it was absolutely hilarious. It revolved around one persons addiction with telephones and was called "Out of Order"
+
The Nine
post 10.Nov.2010, 10:00 AM
Post #11

For a brilliant and funny script, Withnail & I.
+
Craptastical
post 10.Nov.2010, 10:07 AM
Post #12

To me, the best film ever made was Saving Private Ryan.
+
*StelaR*
post 10.Nov.2010, 10:09 AM
Post #13

It doesn't matter whether it is old or new i just love to enjoy movies. They are very close friends for me whenver i got stressed or filled lonely. smile.gif rolleyes.gif
+
gplusa
post 10.Nov.2010, 10:18 AM
Post #14

Kenny

"There's a smell in here that will outlast religion"
+
DustinHoffman10
post 10.Nov.2010, 10:40 AM
Post #15

Hi,I'm Dustin my favorite movie is Titanic forever.

Mobile Application Developer
+

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: