The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Cost of running a car in Sweden

Is it bad?

Keithy
post 24.Mar.2012, 11:47 AM
Post #1

Hello.

Would like to know roughly how much I can expect to pay for running a car here. Have never driven in Sweden so am a complete novice. I'm thinking of buying a car (something like an S50 or V50, or a Golf). Would probably go for an automatic petrol model, maybe around 2005.

Really important that first I know how much I would pay for such a car per year in terms of taxes, petrol, maintenance, insurance and parking etc. Any input (or pre-purchase advice) greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+
pendejo
post 24.Mar.2012, 12:22 PM
Post #2

I have a V50 and this is what I roughly spend a year. I don't drive that much in the Winter but in the Summer I use the car a lot. I live in northern Sweden.

Road tax: 1100 SEK
Petrol: 15000 SEK
Service: 2000 SEK
Tire Storage: 2000 SEK
Parking: 3000 SEK (we have a parking space that comes with our apartment)

Insurance is what drives the running costs up. I have the full insurance option with my local company and it runs about 5000 SEK/year. But if you shop around you can find car insurance much cheaper but we got a good deal by bundling all our different insurances together with one company.

So roughly speaking you will be looking at costs that run you about 25K/year give or take a few thousand.

Hope this helps.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 24.Mar.2012, 12:31 PM
Post #3

Well, I have a 1989 Renault 19 sedan, manual.

I pay around 3,500 SEK in insurance which is just liability, and I would suspect you would only want with the age car you are seeking (I would never have collision insurance, though), 1,100 SEK in road tax, and 300 SEK to bilprovning for annual inspection - so I would think you would be paying about 5,000 SEK, plus how much you actually drive it (how many kilometers you intend to drive it each year, multiplied by the cost of driving each kilometer, plus expected repairs, like a starter, battery, alternator, brake relining, new tires, and ultimately a rebuilt engine every so many miles)

I pay nothing for parking here, as I have my own garage which only is a small part of the local taxes in cost.

I guess I pay about 10,000 SEK every year for my driving around Town - mostly just to do shopping on Lidingö.

If I were you, I would not pay more than about 50,000 SEK for the car itself, as you are just looking for a means of transport, not something to show off.
+
Keithy
post 24.Mar.2012, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Thanks for your replies.

Tyre storage? Is that paying someone to store your tyres during the other season?

If someone can recommend some competitive insurers, that'd be great.

I have no idea how much petrol is here, how many KMs would you get from a V50 or Golf per litre?
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 24.Mar.2012, 01:15 PM
Post #5

Well, I checked costs many years ago, and settled for Länsförksäkringar at 11597 Stockholm, telephone. 08-562 830 00. Have had no need to use it, so no possible trouble with them.

About tires, I would get steel, belted radials which you can use all year round. Might be a little too noisy if you drive a lot in summer, but saves having to have another pair, and changing them.

And if I had a second pair, I would not pay anyone to store it, saving 2,000 SEK to start with.

As for petrol costs, I think I pay about a crown per kilometer. Should check performance of car you become interested in on the internet as there a considerable variations.
+
Furu
post 24.Mar.2012, 03:10 PM
Post #6

Cars with Automatic Transmission have a higher road tax.

You can store the tires yourself if you have space indoors.

Insurance prices can be compared on https://www.compricer.se/forsakring/
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Mar.2012, 04:32 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Furu @ 24.Mar.2012, 03:10 PM) *
Cars with Automatic Transmission have a higher road tax.

NO

That is crap

The road tax you pay is based on the emission nothing to do with the transmission
+
Furu
post 24.Mar.2012, 06:46 PM
Post #8

Automatic cars generally have a higher CO2. You can compare any similar models with a manual alternative.
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Mar.2012, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Wrong again, as usual you post crap without thinking.

A lot of so called automatics today are manual automatics - an automatic gear box with a manual over-ride. like my Citroen C4 automatic which just happens to be a miljöbil and tax free for 5 years even though it is classed as an automatic.

When will you learn to check your so called 'facts' before you give unsuspecting people complete bullshit
+
chazza
post 24.Mar.2012, 08:17 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 24.Mar.2012, 07:32 PM) *
When will you learn to check your so called 'facts' before you give unsuspecting people complete bullshit

based on past performance i'm guessing NEVER
+
Furu
post 24.Mar.2012, 08:41 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 24.Mar.2012, 07:32 PM) *
A lot of so called automatics today are manual automatics - an automatic gear box with a manual over-ride. like my Citroen C4 automatic which just happens to be a miljöbil an ... (show full quote)

OP is looking for a car from 2005. Did the "manual automatic transmission" existed 7 years ago?
+
drubb
post 24.Mar.2012, 08:59 PM
Post #12

Semi automatic gearboxes been around since the 1940's with the Chevy vacamatic gearbox. So yes they have been around longer than 2005,
+
Furu
post 24.Mar.2012, 10:02 PM
Post #13

Forgot to add the word "Miljöbil".

According to the local Audi dealer, Miljöbil approved semi automatic vehicles came out in late 2007-2008.

A "smart for two" with a "semi automatic gearbox" from 2002 - 2005 has a 900kr road tax in comparison to manual only transmision that carries a road tax of under 400kr because the former has a higher CO2 and the latter is Miljöbil.
+
Abe L
post 24.Mar.2012, 10:27 PM
Post #14

Biggest downside with the insurance in Sweden is that it doesn't go down overtime as you build up claim-free years. It also skyrockets as you drive upscale vehicles, obviously depending on the level of self-risk you sign up for.

And then there are the gas prices which don't seem to get any kind of excise-tax correction as the actual oil-price goes up and which are in general much higher then what for example folks from the US are used to.
+
drubb
post 24.Mar.2012, 10:31 PM
Post #15

Don't change your point after proven wrong. The point with the Smart cars is that the difference in tax is down to the C02 not the fact it is automatic. A Smart for two 2005 with Automatic and Manual transmission has a tax of 360 sek. So auto/manual gearbox 2005 ?Yes. Tax 360Sek yup.
Anything else you need clarifying ? For your info here is a Smart on blocket 2005 manual/auto gearbox with a 360sek tax.
http://www.blocket.se/sodermanland/Smart_f...m?ca=12&w=1
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: