The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Working Holiday to Working Permit

How should it be done?

hoavis
post 14.Apr.2019, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Hi all! I can see there's similar topics on the forum but most of them are rather old and some closed so I hope it is ok for me to create this new topic.

First of all, some background info. I am a Hong Kong citizen and currently on a Sweden working holiday visa (expiring July 2019), have a full time job my employer is willing to sponsor me for a working permit. I only hold a coordination number (samordningsnummer).

I have been calling Migrationsverket and looking at similar topics about this issue on the internet and found a lot of different info so I am confused. The info I am certain of at the moment are,
1/ The working holiday visa is not extendable (reason why I am aiming for a working permit).
2/ Visa approval time ranges vastly.

I am confused about the following questions,
1/ Can I apply for a new visa while my current visa still valid? In some topics I also read you can only apply for the new visa if there's only 30 days left on your current visa.
2/ Can I stay in Sweden while waiting for the decision?

In addition, me and my girlfriend (a Swedish citizen) are expecting a baby in September. Has there been any case where the partner is granted a temporary visa so that he/she can stay in Sweden for at least the birth.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+
markbanana
post 30.Apr.2019, 05:01 AM
Post #2

Would love to know how this is done.
Everything I have read suggests it is mandatory to leave Sweden.

My main question is surrounding the timing of submitting Working Visa vs leaving Sweden.

Say the WHV expires in July 2019

• May 2019: Can you apply for the Work Permit, submit the relevant documents- waiting time 1-3 months
  • July 2019: leave Sweden when WHV expires
  • July/August 2019: Possibly approved?
+
hoavis
post 1.May.2019, 02:08 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (markbanana @ 30.Apr.2019, 06:01 AM) *
Would love to know how this is done.Everything I have read suggests it is mandatory to leave Sweden.My main question is surrounding the timing of submitting Working Visa vs le ... (show full quote)

Hi markbanana, thanks for the reply. Saw your discussion in the other post, apparently it can be done but the applicant needs to wait outside of Sweden. For my case I really hope they can at least let me stay until my baby is born sad.gif .
+
markbanana
post 8.May.2019, 07:39 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (hoavis @ 1.May.2019, 02:08 PM) *
Hi markbanana, thanks for the reply. Saw your discussion in the other post, apparently it can be done but the applicant needs to wait outside of Sweden. For my case I really h ... (show full quote)

Hope it all goes well! I would love to help you - I'll be reading more on this and will let you know if I read anything that might be relevant to you!
I would love to hear any news you receive so post here smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: