The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Did Sweden's haste in implementing 4G

Cause too many mistakes?

mångk
post 13.Sep.2012, 04:11 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 13.Sep.2012, 04:58 PM) *
Well, he is right. It is the same standard, just different frequencies. Once the operators clear band 3 from GSM traffic they can use the frequency. They don't need to bui ... (show full quote)

Yes and the operators are not likely going to be in a hurry to slash the cash-cows throat!
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 13.Sep.2012, 04:22 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Snood @ 13.Sep.2012, 11:53 AM) *
Railways were invented and developed in the UK. the result was a sprawling network of twisting and turning track which is completely unsuitable for high speed use. Other count ... (show full quote)

The UK railways are the mess they are for several reasons;
- in the early days they were several different small networks which weren't inter connected, most ran on different guages of track. Eventually the decision was made to pick one, they chose a narrower guage, had they chosen one of the slightly wider ones, they would have been able to run wider, faster, better balanced trains along those curvy tracks. But I guess they couldn't quite imagine a train doing over 200kph that long ago!
-spending the UK and the USA bombed the hell out the European network in WW2, post war rebuilding allowed them the funding and chance to build for the future. Faster, straighter tracks, evened out gradients etc.
-finally semi privatising and splitting up of British Railway, the UK rail network costs a fortune because a huge amount of money just goes straight to industry profit and fees.

QUOTE (Snood @ 13.Sep.2012, 11:53 AM) *
Population expansion due to industrialisation happened in the UK earlier, that population needed housing... housing which was built, and still stands with poor insulation. Swe ... (show full quote)

Houses are better insulated in general, but there is plenty of old housing stock built over a 100 years ago that have zero insulation and are single glazed. There is also the 60/70s era of basement built house (ie the 2/3 submerged style) that have major damp issues.
The UK problem is retro fitting insulation is not as effective as building properly first time round and cost much more.
+
byke
post 13.Sep.2012, 07:37 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 13.Sep.2012, 12:22 PM) *
Why not? Reading a few of the reports out after yesterdays launch, the general view taken by the pundits, including Apple aficionado's is that they were totally underwhel ... (show full quote)

I think the best way to explain one of the greatest differences is to enclose a picture (credit to this bloke)
And just mull over the 1.05 BILLION dollars awarded to Apple in finding Samsung guilty of blatant copying wink.gif

Attached Image

+
byke
post 6.Nov.2012, 10:02 PM
Post #34

Anyone know if the new ipad 4 and ipad mini are supported for 4g networks in Sweden yet?As from what I understand, the lte chip used in these devices are open to ever more bands.
+
timmah
post 7.Nov.2012, 11:27 AM
Post #35

My understanding is that chunks of 1800MHz have been obtained by various telcos and their license to use this starts on 1st January 2013. This includes (at least) Tele2, Telia and Telenor. I guess it won't be switched on right on the 1st January however. Compatible with iPhone 5 and iPad 4, but not iPad 3.
+
byke
post 29.Jan.2013, 11:14 AM
Post #36

Since this thread first started there have been numerous software updates and numerous new carriers and bands added to allow 4g.

Does anyone know if last nights latest update (6.1) has now made it possible for the iPhone to get 4G connections in Sweden? or do the networks have to still change their networks?
+
PDX
post 29.Jan.2013, 11:20 AM
Post #37

Re-read my comments in this thread and then use Google for information. The current status is very well described elsewhere.

~~~PDX~~~
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: