The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Tow bar on cars

Stuff needs moving

chinde01
post 18.Jun.2015, 12:38 AM
Post #1

Hej people

I'm looking to get a tow bar fitted to my car and something in my memory says that if I get a bar fitted then I will need to get the bilprovning done again, is this true? Also never had a tow bar fitted before and never taken a bilprovning any advise would be great!
Go to the top of the page
+
DuneSunny2
post 18.Jun.2015, 08:18 AM
Post #2

If you have a tow bar installed or taken away, the car has to be inspected again.
Any changes made to a car result in it having to be re-inspected.

https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/Nyhets...ragkrok-i-host/
+
chinde01
post 18.Jun.2015, 08:41 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the link, my Swedish is not yet up to standard to google this sort of thing easily, and it looks like my suspicions are confirmed.
I think I'll wait till the current provning running out.

Does anyone know if it is a job that must be done by a mechanic?
+
DuneSunny2
post 18.Jun.2015, 02:24 PM
Post #4

I do not think it legally has to be done by a mechanic - but from an insurance point of view, I guess it would be better. I would strongly advise that you check with your insurers - they will definitely need to be informed of the alterations.
From a logical point of view - if it is not fitted by an approved mechanic but passed by Bilprovning, then it is ok - that is until something goes wrong and then your insurance company will be looking into ways of reducing their risk / not paying.
Good luck!
+
chinde01
post 19.Jun.2015, 03:21 PM
Post #5

Tack once again, all good information.
+
agw9262
post 19.Jun.2015, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Hi

it's actually the opposite... you no longer need to have the car inspected after adding a tow bar - the link provided was a news update from Transportstyrelsen saying that from 1st September 2013 the rules have changed. Any class 1 vehicle which includes passenger cars and light trucks up to 3,500KG is now exempt from inspection.

So you do not need to have the besiktning after the installation.

/Andrew
+
chinde01
post 20.Jun.2015, 10:30 AM
Post #7

Bloody hell, didn't even try to read the link. Thanks for that, think I'll get one fitted by a pro as it sounds like it will only be valid if the car and tow bar are approved for use with each other.
Thanks Andrew
+
Rick Methven
post 20.Jun.2015, 10:35 AM
Post #8

As most modern cars have complicated electronics, putting on a tow bar and connecting up the lights socket to the system is not simple, so you would be best advised to go to a main dealer for the car.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: