The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Deciding between job offer in Oslo vs Stockholm

A really confused student needs help!

*sickha*
post 6.Jun.2015, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Hello dear readers,

I am a student in Stockholm and I am about to finish my Masters degree. I have received a job offer in Oslo offering 25000 NOK (I am not sure if its before or after tax). I am also in final stages of another job here in Stockholm. Now, I am really confused between these two.

I am confused as I have heard that the working conditions are better in Norway than in Sweden, but after some research I found it to be not true:
  • Like working days in Norway are from Monday to Saturday, where as in Sweden are Monday to Friday
  • In Sweden an employee is entitled to five weeks of paid vacation (plus the vacation bonus), where as in Norway an employee gets four weeks of unpaid vacation some holiday pay, which is deducted throughout from the pay.

My other concern is that would 25000 (even if it is before tax) per month be okay for me to survive in a city like Oslo?

I would really appreciate comments and feedback from you all, as it could really help me in my decision making.

Thanking in anticipation.
Go to the top of the page
+
dogwalker1
post 8.Jun.2015, 10:30 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (sickha @ 6.Jun.2015, 03:47 PM) *
Hello dear readers,I am a student in Stockholm and I am about to finish my Masters degree. I have received a job offer in Oslo offering 25000 NOK (I am not sure if its before ... (show full quote)

this is a really confusing post

oslo, please correct me if i am wrong, offers a more casual and relaxed working environment. if you want to stay there forever, maybe that's OK. if you want people to take you seriously, consider the gig in stockholm. unless the Norwegians throw so much money at you that you'd be an idiot for not taking the job. also, the cost of living is higher in oslo.
+
essi
post 9.Mar.2018, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Hey!
I would recommend Oslo. It's a higher income and a simpler life. They don't pressure employees as hard as in Sweden. Workers finish work quite early and can actually leave their computers at work.
I have a friend that is a dentist in Oslo, He works at Rommen Tannlegesenter and he is saying that life their is just great. But then again, if you don't have education then it can be a bit difficult. But you'll still make much more money than sweden.
Good luck!
+
Svedallas
post 23.Apr.2018, 09:35 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (sickha @ 6.Jun.2015, 04:47 PM) *
Hello dear readers,I am a student in Stockholm and I am about to finish my Masters degree. I have received a job offer in Oslo offering 25000 NOK (I am not sure if its before ... (show full quote)

- The standard of life is good, and you get 1/2 tax month in November
- The work balance is better there, most start early and leave really early.
So plenty of time to have hobbies, and do things outside work.

Like many stupid people who move without visiting, do not do that.
Visit the city first, before moving.
+
bonviveur
post 24.Apr.2018, 11:12 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 23.Apr.2018, 10:35 PM) *
- The standard of life is good, and you get 1/2 tax month in November- The work balance is better there, most start early and leave really early.So plenty of time to have hobb ... (show full quote)

you are not very good at counting tax you pay , are you?
tax office take more every month than they should, and yes november is half tax deducted, so people can have extra money for Christmas, but there is no such thing as a half tax after all.
+
Svedallas
post 24.Apr.2018, 03:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 24.Apr.2018, 12:12 PM) *
you are not very good at counting tax you pay , are you? tax office take more every month than they should, and yes november is half tax deducted, so people can have extra mon ... (show full quote)

I am simply stating there is a higher disposable especially for November.
And, how they do it in Norway.
OP possibly did not know that.
YOU FOOL.

If you do not have anything to contribute or say, find another thread.
Idiot.
+
bonviveur
post 24.Apr.2018, 04:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 24.Apr.2018, 04:39 PM) *
I am simply stating there is a higher disposable especially for November.And, how they do it in Norway. OP possibly did not know that.YOU FOOL.If you do not have anything to c ... (show full quote)

it is you who write either misleading information or telling to look for answer yourself, one of those toxic people I guess
+
Svedallas
post 24.Apr.2018, 04:50 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 24.Apr.2018, 05:43 PM) *
it is you who write either misleading information or telling to look for answer yourself, one of those toxic people I guess

Misleading? It is not.

Feel free to quote from tax authority from Norway.
Again if you dont have anything valuable to write.

CASE CLOSED.
+
john.boy
post 25.Apr.2018, 05:56 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (sickha @ 6.Jun.2015, 04:47 PM) *
[*]In Sweden an employee is entitled to five weeks of paid vacation (plus the vacation bonus), where as in Norway an employee gets four weeks of unpaid vacation some holiday p ... (show full quote)

They are the same thing, just described differently.

In Sweden your paid vacation is accrued in the year prior to it being paid. Your first year is therefore unpaid vacation. Some employers will pay year 1 vacations, and because you are not entitled to paid vacation it is counted as a debt to the company that you must pay back if you leave within 5 years. The debt is normally written-off after 5 years.

As for the Swedish vacation bonus, also exists in Norway (just counted in the % they accrue for vacation pay), it isn't exactly a bonus, it is an amount you are not paid in the rest of the year and saved for when you take a paid vacation.

Difference in Norway is that you can actually ask your employer to pay the vacation pay 1 week in advance of vacation, in Sweden you are paid after you take it.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: