The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Intensive Swedish Lessons in Stockholm

aellis1798
post 30.Jul.2008, 11:19 AM
Post #1

I live in London with a Swedish wife and bilingual daughter. In order to improve my Swedish I'm keen to spend a week in Stockholm on an intensive course in October

I've followed up with some of the places mentioned on this board (e.g. Folkuniversitetet)but they don't offer what I need. I'm thinking 1 to 1 teaching might be the only option.

Any suggestions welcome.

Email: andrew.ellis@uk.abnamro.com
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 30.Jul.2008, 12:09 PM
Post #2

Berlitz offer private tuition
http://www.berlitznordic.com/1-136-private-instruction.html

Folkuniversitet - do offer tailored courses which might be possible to meet needs
http://www.folkuniversitetet.se/templates/...me.aspx?id=3929
+
*Sweat Loaf*
post 30.Jul.2008, 12:18 PM
Post #3

I can't help thinking you'd do a lot better by getting a textbook and reading it, while instructing your wife and daughter to ONLY speak Swedish to you. YOu have to surround yourself with the language, and that's actually quite difficult in Sweden. Case in point, I (unusually for me) was in Burger King the other day, ordered my food, but due to pronouncing "chili cheese" the correct way (i.e. not Sheeallly Sheeyasss) the daft bint behind the counter decided to ask "vot err woowud you lye-ak to err dreeyank?" At which point I informed her, in Swedish, that seeing I was apaprently rather better at her language than she was at mine, perhaps we could stick to the local lingo and it would be easier (and less insulting) for all concerned.
+
treffen
post 30.Jul.2008, 02:53 PM
Post #4

Ah! I think that YOU were being insulting to the woman behind the counter. She heard you speak English "chili cheese" and was undergoing discomfort to make the customer more comfortable. Sorry, if she expects to hear "sheeally sheeyass," it might take her a moment to understand "chili cheese," especially as you are just one of many customers in a long line on a busy day..When I've worked with multiple customers in a day, I sure as heck don't remember any of them at the end of it...I did what I needed to do in the moment, made my best guess as to what was needed, and moved on.

Nice if you just responded in Swedish without the lecture, IMHO.

I'm sure if a friend of yours introduced her to you, you wouldn't call her a "daft bint."
+
*Sandyclaws*
post 30.Jul.2008, 03:01 PM
Post #5

Berlitz is probably the best shot here, since Foluniv mayb requires your booking/registration in good time.

Since your wife is a native speaker, why you study w. her, and have maybe set one hour a day speaking Swedish at home (with wife and daughter).. this doesnt cost you ... That is if you dont mind get corrected by your other-half. :wink:
+
*Sweat Loaf*
post 30.Jul.2008, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Actually, I was being quite restrained, having just been insulted - I accept that it was due to her youth and ignorance, she wasn't intending to be insulting, but that's hardly the point.

Swedes, on the whole, absolutely adore speaking English, especially with the British (Very well, too. Though often not *quite* as good as they think.) This makes it an absolute pisser to try and learn the language,if you compare it with e.g. Italy where you're going to have to learn the language damn quick, or become a very good mime artist if you're going to survive.
It wasn't until I'd been here a year and a half and my work colleagues, quite literally stopped speaking English to me in the space of a day, that I made any real progress beyond the Folkuniversitet stuff. I find it incredibly rude if someone patronises/tries to show off by speaking English to me when I'm speaking Swedish to them.

And she WAS a daft bint. How else would you describe a career burger-flipper?

Sandyclaws addition - the missus used to make me read to her from the paper and do it PROPERLY with none of that ghastly British habit of swallowing half the letters. With a correction at least every other word. It was like being back at primary school, and my poor male ego did get a bit defensive at times... but it all helps.
I'm still shit at writing it, though.
+
*Sandyclaws*
post 30.Jul.2008, 03:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Sweat Loaf)
Swedes, on the whole, absolutely adore speaking English, especially with the British (Very well, too. Though often not *quite* as good as they think.)

Maybe thats why my colleagues speak English to me ... they dont understand my Danish. :?
It's very discouraging when someone reply in English when you're trying to speak Swedsih.

Why do you need an intensive Swedish course, if you're not using it daily?
+
freezebtn
post 30.Jul.2008, 03:44 PM
Post #8

Berlitz exists in England and has Swedish (at least the one in Brighton does) why come to Sweden for a one week course when you can do it at home.
+
aellis1798
post 30.Jul.2008, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Have been in contact with Berlitz and they are very helpful and have a place in the centre of Stockholm. Quite pricey at 45754, though.
+
*Sweat Loaf*
post 30.Jul.2008, 03:52 PM
Post #10

Ha! NO-ONE understands Danish. Including the Danes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
+
weychick
post 30.Jul.2008, 06:06 PM
Post #11

I have the same problem. I am trying to learn swedish but have no real need for it (we are in South Florida) until my swede gets on the phone to home and I can't understand the conversation. I have been using Rosetta Stone, not very helpful. I translate everything I see, so I can read some but not speak or understand. Also, don't really like being corrected either (especially after I practices something and he doesn't understand me, then laughs and corrects it!!) Belitz was almost $5000 (US) and I was the only one who was looking for Swedish lessons. Has anyone been self taught just by having everyone around them speak only swedish.
+
Sofia_stockholm
post 30.Jul.2008, 07:23 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Sweat Loaf)
I find it incredibly rude if someone patronises/tries to show off by speaking English to me when I'm speaking Swedish to them.

And she WAS a daft bint. How else would you describe a career burger-flipper?

QUOTE (Sweat Loaf)
Ha! NO-ONE understands Danish. Including the Danes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

Good lord! You really are arrogant, aren't you?
+
Nomark
post 30.Jul.2008, 09:25 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Sofia_stockholm)
Good lord! You really are arrogant, aren't you?

No - he is probably just a stirrer who's a bit insecure about his command of Swedish.
+
Mzungu
post 30.Jul.2008, 09:35 PM
Post #14

Stirrer?
Appears to be more in the vein of a tosser!
+
*Sweat Loaf*
post 31.Jul.2008, 08:34 AM
Post #15

Dearie me.. not much of a sense of humour here, is there?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: