The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to Gothenburg with wife

New job offer

Mogambo
post 29.Sep.2018, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone!

I have received a job offer from a Swedish company and was planning to move in there with my wife. They would be applying for my work visa, as we are in an Asian country.

My employer is recommending that I come alone at first and call my wife later after a period of 6 months. They are saying that it is time consuming to find good house arrangements, make all administrative work with banks etc.

I would like to know your opinions regarding this topic. Will there be any difficulties in moving in and setting up if both of us come together ?

Thank you
Go to the top of the page
+
wondering_again
post 1.Oct.2018, 10:29 AM
Post #2

I think the company is hedging and will have you here for 6 months and check to see how are working first then give you a offer after probation period.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 1.Oct.2018, 04:27 PM
Post #3

That does sound odd, you both will be alone for six months and it's at the company's suggestion...

Totally in agreement with the previous post...be careful...
+
ChocOwl
post 1.Oct.2018, 04:35 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Mogambo @ 29.Sep.2018, 09:47 PM) *
They are saying that it is time consuming to find good house arrangements, make all administrative work with banks etc.I would like to know your opinions regarding this topic. ... (show full quote)

the level of difficulty depends partly on how much your employer will help you
+
Gjeebes
post 1.Oct.2018, 05:40 PM
Post #5

"My employer is recommending that I come alone at first and call my wife later after a period of 6 months."

Ask them in what way that is a recommendation. Sounds exploitative and dodgy, and makes you look desperate if you accept it. You are married, tell your employer to deal with it (I can guarantee you if your employer is Swedish, there is no way in hell they themselves would accept this non-sense).

"They are saying that it is time consuming to find good house arrangements, make all administrative work with banks etc."

This makes no sense. What is their point with this? You are not worth finding good housing arrangements for (that's basically what they are saying, right?).

Typical Swedish cunts. Don't bother with this unless you get a decent offer that a) doesn't require you to separate from your family and b] includes at the minimum "effective" help getting somewhere for you AND your family to live, affordably.

It already sounds like a bad start, I wouldn't bother with it. In fact, I would avoid Sweden like the plague.
+
SmokerT69
post 1.Oct.2018, 07:30 PM
Post #6

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the spouse have to apply to come, he said he's not EU. Maybe that's what the employer meant? And don't you have to apply from your country of orgin? You can't come along with your spouse until you have been approved. Don't they also have to prove they can provide for and have enough space in their house/apartment?
+
Mogambo
post 4.Oct.2018, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the replies!

The company did say that I would be on probation for the first six months. But I am ok with it, since it will also help me in understanding if the company is good for me. smile.gif

The company is helping me in finding a suitable accommodation, they would be checking the contract and be in touch with apartment landlords.

@Gjeebes Could you elaborate a bit on this point - "I would avoid Sweden like the plague"

@SmokerT69 I read that my wife's application can be submitted along with my work visa application and the decision for both would come together.
+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 8.Oct.2018, 11:08 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 1.Oct.2018, 05:40 PM) *
"My employer is recommending that I come alone at first and call my wife later after a period of 6 months."Ask them in what way that is a recommendation. Sounds expl ... (show full quote)

Indeed, there is some sense in this.
+
mirnass
post 11.Oct.2018, 11:16 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (GamlaSkogHisingHope @ 8.Oct.2018, 11:08 AM) *
Indeed, there is some sense in this.

I agree. But I would suggest a compromise to the employer: that they cover the application for the work/residence permit of you and your wife at the same time (so once you get approved, she's also approved). Then you fly and get settled in alone (maybe temporary housing will be cheaper for a single person), once you have longer-term housing have your wife fly over. Maybe this will be three months, maybe it will be two, maybe six. In this situation the choice/power would be in your hands.

Just my two cents.
+
Mogambo
post 11.Oct.2018, 06:57 PM
Post #10

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I conveyed to the company that we would like to come together. Lets see what they reply.. smile.gif
+
Svedallas
post 16.Jan.2019, 07:43 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 1.Oct.2018, 05:40 PM) *
"My employer is recommending that I come alone at first and call my wife later after a period of 6 months."Ask them in what way that is a recommendation. Sounds expl ... (show full quote)

6 months trial.
If you pass you might MIGHT be able to bring your wife. But know you need to prove to Migration that you can support your wife financially and have adequate living arrangements.

Have a back up plan. This must be a startup.
+
Bsmith
post 16.Jan.2019, 11:42 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 16.Jan.2019, 07:43 PM) *
Have a back up plan.

Always have a back-up plan!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: