The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

The final countdown....

Move to Linköping

gse1986
post 3.Sep.2016, 08:04 AM
Post #1

I've been hanging around here for a while, however yesterday we exchanged on our house sale in the UK - There's now 25 days until we move to Sweden!

Some background, my fiance is originally from Linköping, and we decided about a year ago to sell up in the UK and move over. It's taken some time to sort things with the house, sell it, and now complete all the paperwork. Given the recent brexit decision, it seems like it's probably a good time to move. Hopefully I'll be able to get citizenship before the UK finally leaves, or at least I'll be a good way along the three years.

We're soon to book a removal company (though mostly it's boxes, we're not bringing much furniture with us as we've not really spent very much on it in the UK, and the cost of removal would likely me more than the furniture is worth).

We've started applying for jobs, and will carry on applying for more now that we know when we'll actually be there.

I've put together a list of people we need to inform - HMRC, local council, banks etc - would be useful if anyone has any suggestions for other people that we may have forgotten about.
Go to the top of the page
+
gse1986
post 4.Sep.2016, 08:32 AM
Post #2

Thanks!

I've been looking into that actually, I've been thinking of paying to speak to a financial adviser regarding what's best to do with pensions and other things in the UK on moving abroad.
+
intrepidfox
post 4.Sep.2016, 02:17 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Savage @ 3.Sep.2016, 08:26 AM) *
Depending on your age, it could be advisable to get in contact with NI and get the details needed to continue to pay NI contributions from outside the UK. Its usually a very s ... (show full quote)

Unless you have a really good pension there is no point unless you plan to return to the UK.
+
gse1986
post 6.Sep.2016, 08:50 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 4.Sep.2016, 02:17 PM) *
Unless you have a really good pension there is no point unless you plan to return to the UK.

Does that mean I wouldn't be able to claim unless I moved back?

Is there any general advice for pensions?

I've obviously got a number of years contributions to state pension, plus also a pension with my current job. Would it be worth transferring to a pension in Sweden?

I'm guessing most of these questions are what I should ask a financial adviser about!
+
skogsbo
post 6.Sep.2016, 10:54 AM
Post #5

the answer is really many unknowns, we don't know the brexit deal, any futures Swedish/UK taxation or pension deals, what job you'll have, it's pension, how long you'll stay. There are also existing complex rules on how it is or isn't index linked etc..

Rough knowns, A full UK pension requires(currently) 30 years of NI payments. You can buy years to make up gaps, this cost increases a little annually and at the moments it's roughly £13/14 a week, depending on which years or gaps you are topping up.

Deciding on if it's worth buying years depends on your age, how much you've put in already in years, your job here and the pension etc..

If Brexit results in two totally independent nations with no financial agreements, then there is no reason you can't draw a smaller pension from each country.

The UK is a good deal, but unless you're close to retiring you might have to be 70 before you can claim the full amount, or possibly even older.
+
yet another brit
post 6.Sep.2016, 02:43 PM
Post #6

Well, you'll get enrolled into the Swedish state pension system whatever. It is quite generous - but of course years in the scheme will affect how much you get in the end.

18.5% of your salary (levied on the employer within the payroll tax) goes into your SE state earnings plan. The entitlement tops out at the equivalent of a monthly salary of 38k, and will give (on full number of years) about 60% of final salary up to that limit. A few % of the money you get to choose the investment vehicle yourself (if you want). If you are earning more than the limit then most employers will have a non-contributory top-up plan above that, and these can be generous indeed (especially in the private sector). Assuming they earn enough to qualify for the better top-up plans, new employees are likely to find themselves on a defined contribution plan rather than a final salary scheme (sound familiar?)

You can put money into a private pension also, but paying into them isn't tax deductible nowadays so they aren't that useful (personal opinion).
+
intrepidfox
post 6.Sep.2016, 02:45 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (gse1986 @ 6.Sep.2016, 07:50 AM) *
Does that mean I wouldn't be able to claim unless I moved back?Is there any general advice for pensions? I've obviously got a number of years contributions to state pe ... (show full quote)

Regardeless of if you stay here or not you will be get your UK pension. The only problem in Sweden is that you have to have worked at least 40 years to get a full pension. I would contact an expert as there have been so many changes during the years.
I am ok with my UK pension as i opted out of the state pension years ago so i can collect a few thousand when im 55 as the sum when i am 65 would be pathetic.

PS good luck on your move
+
intrepidfox
post 6.Sep.2016, 04:26 PM
Post #8

Your best bet is to come as a refugee. I just heard on national news that you are guaranteed the full state pension regardeless of age
+
LLHope
post 6.Sep.2016, 04:57 PM
Post #9

Do you have a residence permit as partner to a Swedish citizen? Or alternatively meet the EU Right of Residence Requirements as person of sufficient means? You cannot just move if you intend to stay longer than 3 months!

In either case, I consider delaying notification to HMRC that you are no longer resident in UK. The UK has been quite aggressive with regards cancelling EHIC cards for people leaving the country, you could find yourself in the grey-zone where you have no health cover, and Sweden might say that even your welfare should be covered by the UK for a period whilst you are in Sweden (but UK may say no!).

Consider registering as unemployed in the UK, coming to Sweden as Job Seeker, register with Arbetsförmedlingen whilst seeking work so for 6 months you are covered, giving a little settle-in time.

Keep in mind, if you apply for person of sufficient means, you still need the UK EHIC card, or comprehensive health insurance.

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 6.Sep.2016, 03:26 PM) *
Your best bet is to come as a refugee. I just heard on national news that you are guaranteed the full state pension regardeless of age
Nothing new there, and in addition to that, depending what age you are they calculate contributions from early 20's up-to your current age when you are given refugee status based upon each years average salary (something which I suspect statistics might just show is well above what you would have earned!), after that you are then on track as every other resident.
+
gse1986
post 6.Sep.2016, 09:17 PM
Post #10

Thanks for the comments smile.gif

QUOTE (LLHope @ 6.Sep.2016, 04:57 PM) *
Do you have a residence permit as partner to a Swedish citizen? Or alternatively meet the EU Right of Residence Requirements as person of sufficient means? You cannot just mov ... (show full quote)

I'm moving with my fiancee, who is a Swedish citizen so I will be able to get a permit that way, however we've also just sold our house so I would also be able to register under sufficient means as well.

QUOTE (LLHope @ 6.Sep.2016, 04:57 PM) *
Consider registering as unemployed in the UK, coming to Sweden as Job Seeker, register with Arbetsförmedlingen whilst seeking work so for 6 months you are covered, giving a little settle-in time.

I've had a look at that, however it seems you need to be registered under JSA in the UK for at least 4 weeks before moving, as we've handed in our notice once we'd exchanged on the house sale, we won't have 4 weeks between leaving our jobs and moving (in fact I'll have one day).
+
*redtree*
post 9.Sep.2016, 08:33 PM
Post #11

I can't believe I found this forum. We are looking at scandanavia generally and this forum has so much info on what its actually like in Sweden
+
gse1986
post 6.Nov.2016, 09:55 PM
Post #12

Well, things seemed to work out ok.

We used europeanmoving who collected our things a few days before we moved, on the Monday, and they arrived about 7:45am on the Wednesday! Luckily my fiancee had headed off earlier than me, so she got there Tuesday night so was ready to accept delivery of our things.

I drove over, set off 10am crossing on the Wednesday, then drove to Bremen, stayed overnight and did Bremen to Linköping on the Thursday. Finally arrived about 11:30pm. Friday morning I had a some messages from a recruiter for a large enterprise software company asking if I was looking for work still. I had a phone interview later that day and was offered the job smile.gif.

Still waiting for my personnummer, which I applied for a few days after being offered the job, once the contract had come through. Not heard anything yet, but hopefully will arrive soon smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: