The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Astra 2F (SKY TV)

Better reception

RexCogidubnus
post 6.Oct.2013, 10:02 PM
Post #31

There are a few Freesat channels available if you have a capable receiver and (fairly easily obtainable pseudo-static keys) and point your dish to 27.5W. Google is your friend here, but the use of the keys to decrypt the signal is most likely a little bit naughy smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Micardo
post 7.Oct.2013, 07:52 PM
Post #32

Although BBC may move to a tighter beam, I cant see SKY wanting to do this as they must have thousands of people all over Europe paying for their service through various back door methods and it would be a big loss for them. They follow the rules about non Uk subscriptions but in reality they know ex pats are a big earner for them. I am still getting all the channels OK with a 1.2 in Jönköping.
+
Rick Methven
post 11.Oct.2013, 11:52 AM
Post #33

Reception on 1N is now getting crap I lost BBC and ITV from 21:00 last night until 10 this morning. Astra 2E is moving onto station and it looks like BBC will move over ASAP, within a month, certainly before Christmas. The cost of upgrading to a 1.8 metre dish plus the problem of where to locate it as it would be too big to go on the roof and there is too many trees in the garden to locate it except on the front path, which the missus says NO! The best solution seems to be a Set top box via internet such as Expat TV.

I seem to remember somebody posting that they had bought one and it was great, anybody remember where the post was and which box it was, as there are a few around at different prices and packages
+
intrepidfox
post 11.Oct.2013, 02:16 PM
Post #34

I just found this site. It´s ok although it does have adverts but it´s free
http://www.filmon.com/tv/bbc-one
+
Rick Methven
post 11.Oct.2013, 03:03 PM
Post #35

But that requires a PC to view it.

I want a set top box that does not require a PC. [url="http://www.ex-pat.tv/"]The EX-PAT TV[/url ] is a settop box that has it all built in just like a freesat box, it connect to your TV and to your router via Wifi and gives you the freesat channels. The box costs £99 and you pay £19 per month for BBC/ITV/Ch4 and 5, or £29 per month for all the Freesat channels.
+
intrepidfox
post 11.Oct.2013, 03:41 PM
Post #36

A mate of mine also does it from his pc and just connects a cable to the TV. True it´s not as good but free. The one that you have described sounds really good. Once the channels disappear i will definately invest in one
+
Rick Methven
post 12.Oct.2013, 12:57 PM
Post #37

Using a PC and a VPN or proxy is a bind if you need to use the PC for other things. The cost of a dedicated PC is also a lot more than the cost of EXPAT TY box. I have had some email contact with them and they are responsive.The web site does not mention WiFi so I sent them a message. They replied within 10 minutes saying there was wifi connection as standard ( other suppliers require you to buy a separate USB wifi dongle) but said that the signal would only be as good as the bandwidth. I replied that I had 13mb wifi by the TV, to to which they said that should be OK as the minimum was 0.5mb.

I am keeping an eye on the movement of Astra 2E which is now at 45deg East when it reaches 28.2E I shall order the box which will only take 3/4 days to arrive, max 1 week.
+
Micardo
post 13.Oct.2013, 11:00 AM
Post #38

How can you be sure all the channels will move ? We went through all this with the last launch and then nothing happened !
+
Gordy
post 13.Oct.2013, 11:42 AM
Post #39

A lot of people use the Intel Nuc instead of a set top box. It's a fully featured (but barebones) PC. To operate as a full PC you would need to add RAM and a SSD (hard drive) and an operating system, but the cheapest option is to add RAM and then run OpenElec off a USB key. This gives you XBMC media centre. If you take a look on sites like XBMCHub you will find various plugins and so-called "repositories" that will allow you access to the higher quality UK TV streams and Football etc. I don't currently use it myself so can't comment on the reliability of the streams etc. but you could test it out on your PC first by installing the windows version of XBMC or booting off OpenElec on a USB key before spending any money.
+
Micardo
post 15.Oct.2013, 10:15 PM
Post #40

Which language are you writing in ?
+
Hisingen
post 15.Oct.2013, 10:42 PM
Post #41

Well, as I look at it, it isnt Boolian, it isn't Swedish, and it is hardly English. But no doubt if you are a computer nerd, then it all makes sense. To me it is simply gobbledegook I fear.

But then, it is not from, or even for my generation. cool.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 16.Oct.2013, 10:17 AM
Post #42

all of these geeky solutions of pc bare or clothed, hidden IP etc etc. may work if you can set them up and are prepared to keep tickling the crystal with the old cats whisker. What they all lack compared to a Set top box is a handy remote that you can sit back and change channels and adjust the volume. They also tend to cost more.
+
intrepidfox
post 16.Oct.2013, 11:28 AM
Post #43

I agree. It might cost more but it is worth it and obviously the quality would be better
+
Gordy
post 16.Oct.2013, 02:32 PM
Post #44

No problem using a remote control with a media centre PC, something like this will do the trick for a tenner.

Admittedly a set top box is (or should be) an easier solution to set up but as for costs what you might save on the initial cost will soon be lost on the £30 a month running costs.
+
Rick Methven
post 16.Oct.2013, 03:56 PM
Post #45

OK lets compare

PC to TV
Quiet PC FC8 Fanless Mini PC £1,197
Konig PC Media Centre Universal Remote Control £13.
Total £1210

write off Over 3 years = £33.61/month

plus VPN/ Proxy £ 6.00/month

Total cost around £40 per month

EXPAT TV

STB £99 inc delivery. and remote

writeoff over 3 years = £2.75/month

plus Freeview BBC/ITV/Ch4/Ch5 £19 per month.

Total cost £22 per month

Even if I took the all singing and dancing every freeview channel going subscription, the cost would still be only £32 a month.

STB plus subscription will be cheaper over 3 years by between £288 and £648
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: