The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Any computer experts

Need a bit of advice

intrepidfox
post 4.Aug.2013, 08:43 PM
Post #1

On tuesday my neighbours house was hit by lightening which resulted in the electricity going off in our house, What confuses me are 2 things, I have 2 decoders on the same contact and one does not work anymore. The other is that my stationary computer is dead but the moniter and scanner are ok which were also on the same contact.

My question is can the computer be saved? Could it be the cable or a fuse in the box? Or should i just bin it? Cheers
Go to the top of the page
+
Vstrommer71
post 4.Aug.2013, 08:58 PM
Post #2

Pull out the black electricity cable that lies in the backside of your PC.Wait a minute and then connect it again.Hopefully,the capacitors of your power supply unit have discharged,and your computer will start again.If not,then the possibilities are you have a blown Power Supply Unit.This is the first component of the computer that may be affected from an electric surcharge.Check it!
+
intrepidfox
post 4.Aug.2013, 09:07 PM
Post #3

Hi thanks for your reply. I have tried the cable with no luck. Im not so technical. What is the power supply unit?
+
intrepidfox
post 4.Aug.2013, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Looking at the net there is no power supply unit on the cable so it must be in the computer?
+
Hisingen
post 4.Aug.2013, 09:45 PM
Post #5

You say that it's a stationary PC therefore a desktop, and in that case the power unit is built in. Where you connect the cable is where the unit is, and there will be a cooling fan beside it. If the fan isn't turning then it could mean that the PSU has 'been hit'.
I have a power surge plug between my techy stuff and the socket, and hopefully it works since I seldom get round to pulling plugs.
That said, I also have a problem that emerged recently. My desktop suddenly just freezes, and the only way to get it moving again is to switch off and re-start. I have tried a 'Windows 7' 'self-repair', but that didn't help, and debugging showed nothing helpful. At a guess it may mean a complete clean re-install with all that it entails. Thank heaven I have a laptop that is up-to-date and fully functional so that I can manage mail, the 'net' and all my other guff.

Back to you, tho'. It does sound as if possibly the problem lies in the PSU, but I can't remember if there is a separate fuse inside it or not. I have had mine apart in years gone by, but memory being what it is these days - - -. You could try removing it from your case, and taking off one of the covers, but be careful just in case. (Disconnect it first of course.)
And hammers are not considered good tools for use on a computer- - - - rolleyes.gif
+
Vstrommer71
post 4.Aug.2013, 10:43 PM
Post #6

@intrepidfox
The PSU is inside the chassis.But you should clarify this:When you press the powerbutton it happens nothing or at least you hear for example the fan working but no signal in the screen?In first case probably the PSU is deffect,otherwise other components might also have been affected

@hissingen

In your case your problem can arise either from your PSU or your hard disk is going to die soon,or(the biggest possibility to me) your computer has a heat problem somewhere,most likely your CPU fan and the surroundings are clogged by accumulated dust,or there is a fan failure.Open the case,inspect the situation and clean the dust by means of an air compressor,if available.To my case I carry my chassis to the nearest gas station and I use the compressor nozzle they are using for cleaning cars' interrior
+
intrepidfox
post 5.Aug.2013, 09:34 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Vstrommer71 @ 4.Aug.2013, 10:43 PM) *
@intrepidfoxThe PSU is inside the chassis.But you should clarify this:When you press the powerbutton it happens nothing or at least you hear for example the fan working but no ... (show full quote)

Thank you for the reply. There is no life in the computer at all. I have a friend coming over from the UK this week that can have a look for me as i am clueless. Looks like a new computer. Lucky that i saved all my pictures etc on a USB.
+
*Minnetonka*
post 5.Aug.2013, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Intrepidfox,

It's likely that the fuse in your power supply has blown if there are no power indications on your computer.

When the lightning struck it does different things to different pieces of equipment. In the case of a computer
PSU (Power supply unit) equipped in a desktop PC, they are typically equipped with a surge suppressor. How this works is that when the voltage of the power goes above a certain level (300 volts or so), the power basically short circuits to prevent the power from ruining your computer.

This short circuit surge clamping manifests itself as a blown fuse in the PSU, or blown circuit breaker on your main fuse panel.

Since your mains didn't trip (Your monitor, etc still work), then a good bet would be to replace the PSU, or replace the fuse in the PSU.

Since you don't seem really tech savvy, it might be easier to have someone replace it for you, or remove the PSU if you have basic screwdriver skills and bring it to some place like Kjell and Co to get a replacement fuse.

Either way, a new PSU for a desktop is around $40USD for a cheap one to 1200SEK for a top of the line unit at webhallen.

replacing the fuse itself will cost less than 50sek.

google computer power supply fuse, then select bilder to see pictures of fuses so you know where it is. You can just look at it with a flashlight to see if the wire is burned off inside the glass tube, or the tube is filled with smoke residue.

www.techrepublic.com/article/learn-to-re-fuse-a-power-supply
+
intrepidfox
post 5.Aug.2013, 11:25 AM
Post #9

Thank you for your help. I will try the fuse later in the week. as the computer only cost me 3000:-, it´s not worth getting it repaired.
+
intrepidfox
post 5.Aug.2013, 11:27 AM
Post #10

I just wanted to say thank you to all the posters for their help. I will keep you posted.
+
Hisingen
post 5.Aug.2013, 02:30 PM
Post #11

Whatever you do, Fox, do not dump the computer, since it is quite possible that the HDD (Hard disc drive) is quite OK and can be used again, with all your pix intact.
Should it be the PSU then as has been mentioned, Kjell & Co have replacements for around 500 SEK. But you will need to take out the existing one to ensure that the replacement is right for your unit. There have been strides in the shaping of computers, and this week's model is out of date before you leave the shop.
I put a new PSU into mine a few years back, and it is still working fine. Rather though like the Irishman's ages-old broom - four new heads and six new handles and it is still as good as new!! I've fitted three different motherboards over the years, upgrading the processor and memory, too, - and yes the same case, so it is as good as new - well would be if it didn't seize up on me. But I think that my problem is in the Registry, which is the set of instructions which tell the computer how to start up and with what. It gets longer and longer as time goes by, with every program and every extra adding its bit until - like me - it gets confused. Hence my seize-ups - or rather the machine's.
I could mention that Telia have started sending SMS's to their customers warning of forthcoming lightning activity, so now my cell phone buzzes with the arrival of a warning, last time with the storm raging overhead, so a bit late there.
Anyway, try for the fuse in the PSU in the first instance. It is the cheapest repair if it is the fault. The fuses are usually the clear glass tube with the wire running centrally, and can be clearly seen when it is at fault. i.e. the wire has burnt out.
Good luck old friend. I feel for you. There is nothing so exasperating as technology that doesn't work when it should.
+
intrepidfox
post 5.Aug.2013, 03:12 PM
Post #12

Thanks Hisingen. I will try. Some fuses have to be soldered but my boss can help me with that and a mates daughter is coming over tomorrow so she can have a look. I have saved all the piscs but my sambos kids have moved in with us so it´s nice that they have their own computer and it stops them using the laptop where all my work is(as i work mainly at home). Cheers
+
Hisingen
post 6.Aug.2013, 04:21 PM
Post #13

On a cheerful note, I changed over between my desktop and my laptop - moving the keyboard/mouse combinations over, and lo and behold - no more freeze-ups. This tells me that somewhere along the line there has been a mix-up in the registry, whereby something has got into conflict with the keyboard receiver, causing the stoppage. Now I am free to use both computers without hassle - well - for the moment anyway, until the next conflict. Windows - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Hope that you get your problem sorted as easily, Fox. smile.gif
+
intrepidfox
post 6.Aug.2013, 04:27 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 6.Aug.2013, 04:21 PM) *
On a cheerful note, I changed over between my desktop and my laptop - moving the keyboard/mouse combinations over, and lo and behold - no more freeze-ups. This tells me that s ... (show full quote)

On a good note. I bought my new satellite box today and all is working well apart from BBC3 and BBC4 which have vanished sad.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Aug.2013, 06:56 PM
Post #15

Hey!

"DO NOT OPEN" the power supply!!!

That unit stores an electrical charge that could hurt you...sort of like an old television tube did...do not get adventurous here, play it safe and replace the whole unit!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: