The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Where to live off the beaten path in Sweden?

Sweden is really big.

nomayoplease
post 4.Dec.2015, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Hello!

My husband and I are interested in moving to Sweden, either full-time or just as a holiday home if we cannot find employment or start our own business. We're coming from the Netherlands, and so we would appreciate some space and diverse landscape, both of which Sweden has in great quantities! Hemnet lists so many houses and I would like to narrow it down if possible.

Aside from the major cities... perhaps off the beaten path a bit... what are some towns that you think are nice? Population is not very important, but for example... a town that has a grocery store, a bakery, a few cafes and restaurants, schools, etc. A train station would be great as well. We prefer the bicycle, of course, but we would get a car if it were absolutely necessary. (So far we have only traveled around Sweden by bicycle and train and found it very enjoyable.)

Basically, we are looking for a town with a nice atmosphere. Nothing fancy, just cozy. Do you know any towns that you think fit that description?

Or if you know of a town that needs a bakery, let me know and we'll start one! wink.gif

Thank you for your help!
Go to the top of the page
+
rouet
post 4.Dec.2015, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Check berg.se in J?mtland . They advertise in Holland for "immigrants" and we have several families from Holland living here. THey all seem pretty content with the life here. Lena H?kansson is a good contact on the council. Her e.mail is lena.hakansson@berg.se
We are many different nationalities in the region as J?mtland has always relied heavily on new innovators. Younger home grown J?mte are more interested in seeing the city lights.
+
Bsmith
post 4.Dec.2015, 05:18 PM
Post #3

There is a big difference from north to south in terms of climate. Also, there are many other factors that may or may not be important to you. Do you want to live near the ocean or a lake, perhaps? Is access to the amenities of a lager town within reasonable driving distance a factor in your decision?

I suggest that you visit Sweden and travel around a bit and find something that speaks to you. My wife grew up on ?land in the town of Borgholm. Our family likes that town quite a bit. Also Kalmar which is a bigger city. We drove through Mora in the winter and watched all the families skating on Lake Siljan and thought that was a beautiful place.

But, as you said, Sweden is a big place. Good luck on finding your new home.
+
nomayoplease
post 4.Dec.2015, 08:10 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (rouet @ 4.Dec.2015, 05:07 PM) *
Check berg.se in J?mtland . They advertise in Holland for "immigrants" and we have several families from Holland living here. THey all seem pretty content with the l ... (show full quote)

Thank you so much. I will contact this person. J?mtland looks beautiful, and we are certainly looking for those rolling hills and lakes. City lights don't appeal to us so much. wink.gif
+
nomayoplease
post 4.Dec.2015, 08:28 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Dec.2015, 05:18 PM) *
There is a big difference from north to south in terms of climate. Also, there are many other factors that may or may not be important to you. Do you want to live near the o ... (show full quote)

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, there are other factors that we will be considering, though we are interested in hearing about gems all over Sweden so that we don't accidentally miss something special. smile.gif

In general, we would prefer to stay south of Karlstad/Stockholm, though we are open to the country to the north if we find something that really speaks to us. We also prefer being closer to a lake or river than to the sea, though again, we are open to other possibilities. Being near to a larger town is fine, though actually not a major factor.

We do plan on going to Sweden numerous times over the years before settling on a particular place. I am trying to make a list of places to check out the next time we visit, so I will add J?mtland, Borgholm, Kalmar and Mora!

Thanks again! smile.gif
+
rouet
post 4.Dec.2015, 10:38 PM
Post #6

When you plan the trip P.M. me and you can stay over.
+
Bsmith
post 5.Dec.2015, 12:31 PM
Post #7

Don't forget to visit Gotland. I haven't, yet and it's definitely on my list.
+
Hisingen
post 5.Dec.2015, 05:58 PM
Post #8

As my nomme de pl
+
rouet
post 5.Dec.2015, 08:30 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 5.Dec.2015, 12:31 PM) *

It is on my list too though I fear it will be too touristy. Very interesting history.
I see a lot of places when I am at markets selling wool
+
Bsmith
post 6.Dec.2015, 12:08 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (rouet @ 5.Dec.2015, 07:30 PM) *
It is on my list too though I fear it will be too touristy. Very interesting history.. I see a lot of places when I am at markets selling wool

We lived in ?land and it is extremely touristy in the summer. However, we lived off the beaten path and didn't really notice a huge difference. Obviously, you learn where to stay away from. Gotland, being much bigger, probably has many more places to hide. Also, if they are thinking of running a bakery, maybe tourists are what they want. Many business people in ?land work their tails off during the summer months and make enough cash to take it easy and travel during the winter.
+
rouet
post 6.Dec.2015, 08:58 AM
Post #11

Even 45 years ago on the Yorkshire Moors, the family of the tourist baker/caf? where I worked on holidays spent all the winter in their Spanish summer house. And even then, I felt sorry that they missed the snow laugh.gif
+
nomayoplease
post 12.Dec.2015, 12:18 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (rouet @ 4.Dec.2015, 10:38 PM) *
When you plan the trip P.M. me and you can stay over.

That's very generous of you! I took a look at your blog. Looks like you run a very large and interesting property! It might be 2016 or 2017 that we make our next trip to Sweden. The coming year is looking a little busy, but we are very much looking forward to our next trip. I will PM you when our dates become clearer. smile.gif
+
nomayoplease
post 12.Dec.2015, 12:19 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 5.Dec.2015, 12:31 PM) *

Will do, thanks for the tip! Looks lovely.
+
nomayoplease
post 12.Dec.2015, 12:21 PM
Post #14

[quote name='Hisingen' post='879922' date='5.Dec.2015, 05:58 PM']As my nomme de pl
+
nomayoplease
post 12.Dec.2015, 12:26 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (rouet @ 5.Dec.2015, 08:30 PM) *
It is on my list too though I fear it will be too touristy. Very interesting history.. I see a lot of places when I am at markets selling wool

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 6.Dec.2015, 12:08 AM) *
We lived in ?land and it is extremely touristy in the summer. However, we lived off the beaten path and didn't really notice a huge difference. Obviously, you learn wher ... (show full quote)

When we travel, we generally prefer to avoid "touristy" places, however you make a good point about how places like bakeries need people who eat baked goods. Tourists, despite their flaws, can be such people! biggrin.gif We would like to find a balance, of course. It would only be a small bakery/cafe, so we wouldn't need or want an enormous flow of people. The only issue is finding a nice town needs a small bakery/cafe! smile.gif Hmm!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: