The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Going to visit US

What should I buy and bring back?

entry
post 5.Jul.2012, 07:36 PM
Post #16

I prefer my own homemade mac and cheese but I do miss half-sour dill pickles, chewing tobacco and rainbow cookies.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 5.Jul.2012, 07:57 PM
Post #17

OK add deli pickles to the list.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 5.Jul.2012, 08:19 PM
Post #18

Buy a Mick Romney T-shirt.

Could be a collectors' item in a few years - the last Republican presidential candidate.
+
entry
post 5.Jul.2012, 08:48 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (johnjohn @ 5.Jul.2012, 08:57 PM) *
OK add deli pickles to the list.

Willies sells bags of decent deli pickles in the produce section bun not half sour ones or the kind I am used to getting at the Carnegie Deli in Manhattan. They are good enough though. -Paul
+
Valdemaratterdag
post 5.Jul.2012, 09:10 PM
Post #20

There are a few obscure things that I like to bring with, particularly toiletries. I use Clear Care contact lens cleaner, which is unavailable in Sweden (as far as I know), but can be had on Amazon.uk for big bucks, so I make sure I pack plenty. Saline solution costs twice as much in Sweden, though it's quite heavy to be hauling water in your suitcase all the way across the Atlantic, but a couple of bottles lasts me for months and months. I make sure I have plenty of spare contact lenses.

I pack other obvious things like aspirin, and ibuprofin, and Apple computers already mentioned here. I like to use Crest Glide floss picks, so I bring several packs with me. I bring White Cheddar popcorn seasoning and blank DVDs, since the prices in Sweden are outrageous, and USB memory sticks.

I've been looking for Worcestershire sauce for my hamburgers but haven't had any success finding that yet. Any suggestions?

And what the hell is "Grill Olja" in all the different flavors?
+
entry
post 5.Jul.2012, 09:54 PM
Post #21

Hey Valdemaratterdag, Not a bad idea about the USB flash drive but how about one of the secure USB flash drives that are available all around America?

Willies has Worcestershire sauce, Major Grey's chutney, two different genuine tobacco sauce offerings and Louisiana hot sauce. I imagine that ICA has it too. -Paul
+
Shibumi
post 6.Jul.2012, 10:32 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (entry @ 5.Jul.2012, 10:54 PM) *
two different genuine tobacco sauce offerings and Louisiana hot sauce.

Paul, I REALLY hope you mean tabasco sauce! Also, are the deli pickles at Willy's that you mentioned anything like crunchy Vlasic pickles? I'll hunt down a Willy's and buy out their stock if you say "yes"!
+
entry
post 6.Jul.2012, 11:34 PM
Post #23

Alright I am getting nailed right and left here. I will try to post with my reading glasses on so that I have fewer misspellings and auto-correct errors.

Yes, Willies has two varieties of Tabasco sauce. The original and the Chipotle Tabasco sauce.

The whole deli pickles that I pick up at Willys are sold in bags packed in brine. As we often purchase shredded paprika in huge jars we have containers to dump the pickles when we purchase the bags. They are unfortunately not crunchy like Vlasic pickles. Vlasic pickles are special even in America. The bags of deli pickles sold in the produce section of Willys are however decent whole deli pickles.

Enjoy and keep an eye on the bell peppers the prices are coming down again. smile.gif -Paul
+
Doogie
post 7.Jul.2012, 10:19 AM
Post #24

Quote: ...and got a crock pot, (Learned that you must have a transformer, not just an adapter... thank god sambo is an electrical engineer)...

I know that this is an issue here, the lovable slow cooker or crock pot. Hopefully, this work-around may help out some of you. Head on into your local Clas Ohlson store and head directly to the customer service counter and ask the helpful sales person for a special order (kundorder). Ask firstly if item no. 18-5075 or item no. 18-4044 are in stock in the Distribution Center. Both of these items are UK model, thus 230v slow cookers. Item 18-5075 is a larger, 6.5 liter Morphy Richards Slow Cooker with an oval, ceramic removable pot and hardened glass cover and three heat settings, 330 watts (price approx 450:- ). The 18-4044 is a CoLine (Clas Ohlson brand) Slow Cooker with a round, ceramic removable pot and cover, 3.5 liter with three heat settings, 200 watts (price approx. 250:- ). These items were current as of Midsommar. The person working should immediately begin to question you if you are sure you want these as they are UK models and priced in GBP. Insist that you do and you should get the items no problem in about a week or less from the warehouse and available for pick-up at the store you ordered it from.

At the same time you pick up your new, cheap 230v crockpot, make sure to pick up Item no. 22-1887 Grounded Contact for an additional 12:- (http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Stickpropp-och-skarvuttag/Pr221887000)

At this point, you simply need a licensed electrician (said for the sake of you not killing yourself or burning down your flat) to simply cut off and replace the UK contact. And you are off to the races.

This work-around should be infinitely more safe than having a transformer on a heated electrical appliance laying about in your kitchen. And way cheaper than bringing your own. Hope it works out for all of you Crock Pot needy peoples.
+
Zappa
post 7.Jul.2012, 11:26 AM
Post #25

What's the airline baggage allowance again? 20Kg? Or have you chartered yourself a plane?
+
johnjohn
post 7.Jul.2012, 11:51 AM
Post #26

The transatlantic baggage allowance is much more, at least 60 kilo. When leaving the U.S. I would book a space for a bicycle. I would go to my local bike dealer and get the largest box and pack it full for a very nominal fee. Check in was in a separate area and no one ever asked what was in the box.
+
entry
post 7.Jul.2012, 08:37 PM
Post #27

Not more than ten years ago checked baggage was allowed to be 90lbs. I have huge rugged safari bags that are big enough to contain a folded over body. I would pack them to about 130lbs each and carry them to the counter. The check-in clerk would not be able to manipulate each bag so I would stand them up one at a time on the scales lifting as steadily as I could until the scale registered under 90lbs. smile.gif

We need nothing else and if we did I would not know where to put it. The house is full! In addition I no longer have a desire to travel. -Paul
+
Kitale
post 7.Jul.2012, 09:00 PM
Post #28

Definitely DEET insect repellent. #1 priority. Strong DEET mind, 90% or thereabouts. I have to have it shipped from the UK. Nothing Swedish works for my highly attractive body.
And painkillers with codeine. They treat it like heroin here.
Don't know if you can get Zoflora disinfectant concentrate in the US, but it is my UK treat.
Bicarbonate of soda is a must too, for baking.
Cetirizine antihistamines (for when you forget to put on your DEET).
Some fountain pens and ink. In fact, any good pens, if you like writing. Poor selection here.
Medicated talc, for those clammy summer days. I ship in tons of Nivea and Cuticura talc from the UK. And Johnsons Hygiene talc from South Africa.
Have a great trip!
+
entry
post 8.Jul.2012, 12:45 AM
Post #29

Baking soda is readily available in Sweden. Knorr sells packages of bikarbonat in the spice sections of major supermarkets. The boxes of ARM & HAMMER® baking soda that are ubiquitous in the USA do not seem to be around . In addition to standard baking, I also use the bikarbonat to supplement my toothpaste in my dental hygiene regimen along with diluted 3% hydrogen-peroxide.

Kitale, it is good that you recognize the value of high percentage DEET insect repellant and have located a source in the UK. While I am currently stocked up with my 99% DEET insect repellant from the USA I can see some time in the future I will need to gain new stock. Would you be so kind as to direct me towards your current DEET source in the UK?

Regarding insect bites there is a product called After-bite that is marketed in the USA. Basically it is just a convenient stick dispenser that contains ammonia which works to relieve some of the itch. Years ago I found witch hazel to have some relieving effect but I have no idea of what it is called here in Sweden or where it would be found. The on duty people at Apoteket who are normally very helpful were unable to assist me with Witch hazel.

By chance I have found that ACO Acnegel 20 mg/g salicylsyra sold at Apoteket has a rapid effect on insect bites on my skin.
+
Kitale
post 8.Jul.2012, 07:42 AM
Post #30

Yes, you can buy 100% DEET from Amazon UK. Thanks for the tip re bikarbonat.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: