The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Going to visit US

What should I buy and bring back?

entry
post 8.Jul.2012, 11:49 AM
Post #31

That was easy. Thanks for letting me know that Amazon UK is the place I want to place my order when I am ready. I still swear by my stockpiled bottles of Ben's DEET insect repellent but over the years it will go away. -Paul
Go to the top of the page
+
iamthestieg
post 9.Jul.2012, 05:22 PM
Post #32

I think many of the items on the replies are great to pick up.

Lolz at Ziploc bags!

Camera equipment

Kids toys

Rechargeable batteries.

Small car parts like air filters, spark plugs, etc.

IF you go to NYC, check out Uniqlo (uniqlo.com). It's like Japanese Gap or H&M. Prices are fantastic! ANd great quality too. I've been shopping there every since they opened their first store (not in NYC, but rather in central Jersey).

Also, if you go NYC, take the PATH (www.panynj.gov/path) 1 stop into JErsey City, NJ and exit at Pavonia/Newport Station. Walk 5 minutes to Target (sells just about anything you may want including mac n cheese) and load up on stuff like there's no tomorrow. Sales tax is 3.5% there! And in the same shopping plaza is BestBuy (national electronics retailer). They too charge only 3.5% sales tax.
+
entry
post 9.Jul.2012, 05:57 PM
Post #33

Lego was less expensive in America.

If you do take that PATH trip to New Jersey, I would suggest Hoboken also. There is a restaurant there that sells 48 & 24oz Angus steaks at a remarkably reasonable price. The story goes that "Arthur's" was started by a man that married and then divorced the daughter of a rancher. The rancher liked Arthur so much that he gave him his cattle ranch anyway.

If in NYC make a pilgrimage to B&H Photo!

You should also avail yourself the opportunity to have some great Sushi, Thai, Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese food because you will not find it when you get back home in Sweden.
+
Hisingen
post 9.Jul.2012, 06:28 PM
Post #34

I am not much good on what is available in the US, but seeing the suggestions regarding a laptop and desktop, you might like to bear in mind that a laptop will only produce Å Ä Ö by using a key-in sequence, since the US keyboard lacks these letters, and is again different from the UK one. Use of a separate keyboard will overcome this, but at the price of convenience (and the keyboard).

Just a thought.
+
Ridgewalker
post 9.Jul.2012, 09:52 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (entry @ 9.Jul.2012, 04:57 PM) *
If you do take that PATH trip to New Jersey, I would suggest Hoboken also. There is a restaurant there that sells 48 & 24oz Angus steaks at a remarkably reasonable price. ... (show full quote)

Oh, what memories! Bring back a reuben sandwich from Katz's deli (or even better, Hobby's in Newark), some deep fried hot dogs from Rutt's Hut in Clifton, a beast sandwich from Cherry Valley in Whitestone and some disco fries from any diner in Jersey!
+
entry
post 10.Jul.2012, 04:46 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 9.Jul.2012, 07:28 PM) *
I am not much good on what is available in the US, but seeing the suggestions regarding a laptop and desktop, you might like to bear in mind that a laptop will only produce Å ... (show full quote)

All you need to do is change the language settings and your laptop will have all the letters and symbols of a Swedish Keyboard. When I travel I make sure I bring Swedish plugs and adapters so that I can cut off the US plugs and travel back to Sweden as if I was returning home with goods that I traveled.
+
zhanna2
post 10.Jul.2012, 05:44 AM
Post #37

are you serious? you are gonna ride across the pond just to go grocery shopping?
+
Ameriborger
post 10.Jul.2012, 08:59 AM
Post #38

I've been doing similar for several years and will be moving back shortly, then I'll miss some of the Swedish and German things I've gotten used to. Here's my ,02.

I don't know about your area, but most grocery stores in Gothenburg have Mac n Cheese, Reese's, Peter Pan Peanutt Butter, various US soda's / pop's, and some microwave popcorns.

Common grocery items I quite often grab are:

Aveeno face soap
Cereal: Cinammon Life, Crispix
Chips: Cheeto's, Chex Mix, Combo's, Tostito's
Wool socks
US wine
Snacks: Nutty Bars, Swiss cake rolls
Peanut Butter, Butterscotch, Vanilla chocolate chips
Q tips (the US ones have a thicker cotton tip)
Bagels
English Muffins
Cheese - Provolone, Colby, Pepperjack
Kroger / Fred Meyer brand Ranch salad dressing, and restaraunt style salsa
Cranberry vinagrette and dried cranberries
If I can find the item here, I don't waste baggage space to claim I get it for a smaller price (nothing is cheaper adding the cost of the ticket).
Jewelry is quite a bit cheaper, plus I've never even found anything with emeralds in europe
Costco muffins
Fruit punch (Denmark 7-11's have this flavor Snapple, I haven't found it anywhere else)

I'm not big on medicine, but some things that come to mind.
Benadryl ani-itch
Neosporin
Hydrogen Peroxide or rubbing alcohol
heat pads (my wife finds better sizes there)

Regarding measuring cups, my wife found a syringe style cup that lists imperial and metric measurements. It's quite handy as it doesn't take up much space and works for liquids as well. I think the store name was Kitchen Collection. Perhaps you also want to grab an American style flipper.
+
JuJuBeeLyn
post 22.Jul.2012, 12:25 AM
Post #39

Drugs: Thanks for the tip on Pseudoephedrine! I need that a lot in the winter! Unfortunatly can’t get codeine over the counter here in the states. I could in Barbados. I should have stocked up.

Food: Definitely adding Beef jerky to the list. I keep seeing about cream of tarter. I will add that as I do a lot of holiday baking; Ditto for the pie spice and molasses. I’m looking into the bisquick. I miss that, too! I found the baking soda at the grocery store, but it comes in such small bags. I heard you can get a big bag at Asian food stores… is this true? I’m debating brining pickles as I’m concerned of the jar breakage smell. Vlasic all the way!! My sambo and I did a search of a million grocery stores looking for dill pickles in Sweden. I had him taste one in America. Now he gets it. I may bring some pickling lime and make my own.

I brought back Worcestershire sauce last time. smile.gif Try the grill oil! It’s a great steak marinade! It does not char like bbq sauce if you put it on the raw meat because of the oil. Just be sure to shake the bottle first!

Other: Ziplock bags…they had these in Barbados, but they were SO expensive! I’m used to bringing these with and will add them to the list. I will get the DEET stuff. I hose my kids down with it after my son got Lyme disease.
Baggage allowance: I’m a bit unique. My sambo works at SAS. He had to fly here with me to drop me off (sent him home will 2 full suitcases) and is coming back to get me (4 suitcases.) Everything I brought here with me fits into half a suitcase. Room and weight is not a major issue for me. Yes.. I know I am lucky. Don’t hate.

Thank you for the laughs (Lightbulbs and Mitt Romney) and encouragement.

Juju
+
sablonkaosmurah
post 25.Feb.2013, 12:15 PM
Post #40

maybe you can bring a more complete cooking equipment again
sablon kaos
+
*Frotte1984*
post 3.Nov.2013, 08:01 AM
Post #41

Get full information about travel news, tips and guides
visit - http://www.usatoday.com/travel/
+
Corinthian
post 11.Mar.2014, 10:47 PM
Post #42

Considering that its only 50$ for an extra 40kg bag with no real limit on how many?

I am planning a trip back to the states this year, I am going empty bagged and probably going to spend 3-5k usd on stuff to bring back here.

Car tools, electronics, shoes, boots, case of captain morgan... you name it. I will bring back probably 500kg of stuff lol.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: