The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Advice - Moving to USA

Scottsdale AZ

cogito
post 29.Sep.2012, 10:04 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (MWolf @ 28.Sep.2012, 05:59 PM) *
... After all, you guys gave the Nobel Prize to a pawn, a man who allows violence and wars to continue, and who ordered the murder of a man rather than bringing him to justice.

Which Nobel prize would that be? Your rant suggests you are as confused about Nobel prizes as you are about America.

If you do not already live in Sweden, you should move here immediately. You will find many like-thinkers…though "thinker" is perhaps not le mot juste.
Go to the top of the page
+
Jamtjim
post 29.Sep.2012, 10:47 AM
Post #32

Oh the irony! Being lectured about reading comprehension and thinking from somebody with the track record of demonstrating neither!

No doubt Sweden has benefited from your presence.
+
olga118
post 29.Sep.2012, 11:15 AM
Post #33

"Much of the bible belt and middle America is founded on early Swedish settlers who emigrated there."

The Bible Belt has nothing to do with Swedes in the USA. The Bible Belt is primarily in the south and consists mostly of southern Baptists. The Swedes are in the midwest, Nebraska, Kansas, the Dakotas, etc.
+
Migga
post 29.Sep.2012, 04:25 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Investor612 @ 28.Sep.2012, 07:34 PM) *
Rather than cite a partisan source like you did, I'll stick to the statistical facts:http://voices.yahoo.com/state-education-ra...es-6382040.htmlArizona is about in the mi ... (show full quote)

You write about that not all schools in Arizone are bad and that some schools drag down the average. You then turn around and make a remark about swedish schools. You don`t think your point might apply in Sweden aswell?

Sweden has great schools, as I can imagine that Arizona has aswell. But there are schools in Sweden that drag down the average. Some students come from war-torn countries, some have other priorites, some come from a low educated home, some are poor, some are analphabets, some have a different native language and some don`t want to integrate or be a part of the swedish educationsystem. Those schools will drag down the average.
+
globaltracker
post 29.Sep.2012, 08:18 PM
Post #35

Thanks a lot Ladies and Gents...

I would seriously do more research on Schooling for the kids in Scottsdale or in Phoenix. There were two things that prompted us to send our children to International schools in Sweden.

a. We were not at all happy with the Swedish primary education system. I know it has worked since I work alongside some amazing Swedes who have come through that system. Yet I see that there are more things that could go wrong in it and didn't want to take any chance.
b. That we may end up in a situation like this where we might move out of Sweden.

So we would not settle for a school that does not have the education standards as the current school in Stockholm my kids are studying.

I am from a tropical country myself. Hence the heat should not matter but rather an encouraging factor compared to Sweden. Yet reading the comments I see that it's not tropical climate that I will have to face.

Anyway my first priority during the recruitment process would be to drag it as much as possible so that I can hopefully get my Swedish Citizenship sorted out.

The job advertisement more or less targeted a candidate living in another state in US who would move to Scottsdale. I am in a field which is somewhat specialized. Yet there should be enough candidates in US who should be having the same skills. The fact that no other American from another state not being interested in moving to Arizona is puzzling. I guess this must be the only case that the company want to hire me going through the complex routines of arranging a work visa for me.

Anyway thank you again for the valuable comments.
+
Investor612
post 29.Sep.2012, 08:23 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (Jamtjim @ 29.Sep.2012, 08:52 AM) *
That's right, it wasn't. It was my somewhat lighthearted response to it.Nope and nope. But then one does not necessarily need to have done either in order to know a li ... (show full quote)

I'd agree you know "a little" about both.

A much larger percentage of Swedes believe in trolls, another way they differ.
+
Jamtjim
post 29.Sep.2012, 11:16 PM
Post #37

I'd agree you know "a little" about both.

Is that the best you could come up with? I must say I'm slightly disappointed!

A much larger percentage of Swedes believe in trolls, another way they differ.

Really? Care to quantify that one? What percentage of Swedes actually believe in trolls? The supernatural kind that is, which is what I assume you are getting at, not the Internet kind as nobody reading your posts could be under any illusion that the latter exist. How does this compare with the prevalence of the same belief in the US? When you say "much larger" how much?

Let's set the bar low for you here and say that 1% of Swedes believe this which I'm sure is vastly over estimating the tiny fraction of nutters and loonies who think that these forest dwelling pixies are real and not mythological. Let's say then that nobody in the US shares this belief, that means that your "much larger" percentage is in fact a mere one percent. Now I'll hand this one over to you as you have obviously all this information to hand and have already analysed it to be able to deem the findings "much larger".

Seems like you may have your "little"s and "larger"s back to front...
+
Investor612
post 30.Sep.2012, 12:27 AM
Post #38

QUOTE (Jamtjim @ 29.Sep.2012, 11:16 PM) *
Is that the best you could come up with? I must say I'm slightly disappointed! Really? Care to quantify that one? What percentage of Swedes actually believe in trolls? ... (show full quote)

My, he/she/it really gets testy.

Yes, probably a higher percentage of Americans (though just a small percentage of the American population believe the earth was created 6000 years ago than Swedes who believe in trolls.

Happy now?

Probably a much higher percentage of Swedes than Americans believe Bush and the Jews were responsible for 9/11.

Some idiotic views are more common in America. Some are more common in Sweden.

Your pointless?
+
Jamtjim
post 30.Sep.2012, 06:50 AM
Post #39

My, he/she/it really gets testy.

Yes. This is an unfortunate failing of mine when confronted with vacuous bullshit!

Yes, probably a higher percentage of Americans (though just a small percentage of the American population believe the earth was created 6000 years ago than Swedes who believe in trolls.

Oh that a higher percentage of American citizens are Young Earth Creationists than Swedes who believe in trolls is without reasonable doubt. However your statement betrays your tendency towards making rather misleading statements. According to a recent Gallop poll (which I am sure that you will be able to find by searching as was I), a staggering 46% of Americans believed in "creation" within the last ten thousand years. That is the "small percentage" you are talking about, nearly half, almost one in two.

But as both you and I well know, this was not the point you were getting at. Oh no, you were (rather ineptly as it turns out) trying to make the totally baseless claim that a "much larger" percentage of Swedes believed in trolls than Americans believing the same. When I asked you to justify this assertion, it seems you try to divert attention from this by ceding a rather trivial argument which you never even made!

As America lacks the tradition and mythology found in Nordic countries, perhaps a better comparison could be made between two types of mythical, forest-dwelling creatures with a local tradition by asking as to the relative levels of belief in trolls by Swedes in comparison to that in Bigfoot by Americans. I doubt such a study exists, but it might make interesting reading!

Probably a much higher percentage of Swedes than Americans believe Bush and the Jews were responsible for 9/11.

Really? Now I am sure that you have learned from the incompetence exposed in your last claim and can back this one up. At least you have learned to preface this assertion with "probably". However this does not liberate you from the onus to back up your claim. So what percentage of Swedes think "Bush and the Jews" were responsible for 9/11? What about in the US, the spiritual home of modern conspiracy theory? Once again, you must have some figures before you even to be able to attach a probability or comparison to it.

Of course you could have pulled this statement out of your arse. After all, you have shown form in this area.

Some idiotic views are more common in America. Some are more common in Sweden.

Oh almost undoubtedly. But as yet you have not demonstrated a single one where the frequency is greater in Sweden. I look forward to your third attempt!
+
mångk
post 30.Sep.2012, 01:06 PM
Post #40

I think the OP has been provided some good 'local' advice from Investor and Jeepili and some interesting points have been raised.

I think, and perhaps Jeepili could answer this a little better, that one issue could be the potential for culture shock. As mentioned by others it appears that this area is very strict and may lack tolerance to some degree.

Regarding religion (and not having been there myself) it sounds that the area has a very different perspective than that of Sweden. Possibly Jeepili or Investor could answer if perception that religion is actively pushed upon people, including in the school system!

On a side note, if you didn't want to live in Scottsdale directly you could always live in Paradise! laugh.gif

Well, it could be a Last Resort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekytTpFy96o
+
Jeepili
post 30.Sep.2012, 10:54 PM
Post #41

Janet Brewer/Joe Arpaio: Isn't this proof enough that the world is older than 6,000 years and trolls exist?

All these 'politicians' are just media whores. Let me rephrase that: All 'politicians' are media whores. Has anyone read anything about Sheriff Babeu? Another scumbag. A few months ago there was a discovery of a burnt out SUV in the desert with several bodies inside. Babeu was all over the local news saying that this was proof that the cartels were in the states. This got everyone (the sheeple) all up in arms, freaking out, preaching more hate about the illegals, etc. Several days later it was found out the SUV belonged to a missing family. It turned out the cowardly husband killed his wife and children, set the vehicle on fire and killed himself in the vehicle. Babeu was quite from the media for a while.

I think the f*wit should have been fired for his statement. But no nothing happened. It shows that you can believe everything you hear, see and read. These people suck.

Yes, we do have our share of problems here, but who doesn't? For the most part we are a very culturally diverse state. Religion is the same: Christian, Muslim, Jew, Shiite, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Hindu, etc.

Everybody for the most part gets along, you just don't see that part on the news. I love the Mexican and Native American cultures here. If you show even the tiniest bit of respect for them it goes a long way.

Out here it can be very laid back. As long as one doesn't act like a dick then we will get along just fine. Just watch young children, they don't care what color you are. They will be inquisitive about it but if you are fun to play with then that is what it is all about.

One last thing, please don't judge us by what our politicians say, they really don't represent the people, only themselves.

Another plug for my state: Arizona Highways
+
Investor612
post 1.Oct.2012, 05:35 AM
Post #42

Most politicians are to some extent whores. But in spite of a sheriff jumping to the wrong conclusion in a single incident, drug cartels are present in the state-and many other states as well- and they do kill people...a lot of people.

Illegal immigration is a huge problem, socially and economically, and nmeeds to get addressed. If I were a Mexican in Mexico, poor, and with a high school education or less, I'd be over the fence ASAP to try and make a better life for my family. Most come here to work and work hard, but unfortunately the criminal element also enters the country illegally.

Don't know where mangk got the idea Scottsdale is a place that isn't tolerant or that religion would be pushed anywhere in the US in public schools.

I've visited Tucson literally dozens of times after my parents moved there in the late 1970's. Great place and as you say diverse and people get along well with each other.
+
Investor612
post 1.Oct.2012, 05:52 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Jamtjim @ 30.Sep.2012, 06:50 AM) *
Yes. This is an unfortunate failing of mine when confronted with vacuous bullshit!Oh that a higher percentage of American citizens are Young Earth Creationists than Swedes ... (show full quote)

Someone pee in your cereal this morning to get you in such a piss poor mood?

Did you miss the word "probably?" It indicates an impression or guess. It isn't a claim.

Regarding the percentage of Americans who believe in creationism or evolution, the polls vary on the particulars of the questions asked. In most polls I've read the total that believe in a hybrid of the two is greater than either the all evolution or all creationism totals. If the only choice for any divine role is created in 6000, or 10,000, or 20,000 years ago that's what many will choose. At any rate polls show a correlation between strict creationists and lower levels of education. Scottsdale's populace is much better educated than the average which makes associating the city with that view off target:

http://www.clrsearch.com/Scottsdale_Demogr...ment-Statistics

Regarding 9/11 truthers I did a little research. There isn't much out there, but what there is changes my opinion. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that not very many Swedes, in contrast to some other EU countries like Germany, are 9/11 truthers.
+
Jamtjim
post 1.Oct.2012, 03:39 PM
Post #44

Someone pee in your cereal this morning to get you in such a piss poor mood?

My inherent truculence means that I am almost always in what you would describe as a "piss poor mood". This is only exacerbated when confronted with abject nonsense.

Did you miss the word "probably?" It indicates an impression or guess. It isn't a claim.

Wrong, it makes a claim to an inferred likelihood ie. that one possibility is more probable than another. Perhaps you should look up the meaning of words before use so as to avoid misusing them. wink.gif

Regarding the percentage of Americans who believe in creationism or evolution, the polls vary on the particulars of the questions asked. In most polls I've read the total that believe in a hybrid of the two is greater than either the all evolution or all creationism totals.

Quite possibly, but you stated that this percentage was "just a small" one. The exact percentage is not as relevant as the fact that you seem to think that a fraction of, for the sake of argument, between a third and a half represents a "small percentage". However in the case I quoted, the participants were given three options so as to avoid misleading interpretations such as the one you mentioned:

Attached Image

If the only choice for any divine role is created in 6000, or 10,000, or 20,000 years ago that's what many will choose.

Young Earth Creationism is an unavoidable consequence of Biblical Literalism in which the lineages of certain mythical characters have been "traced" and point of the creation of Adam and Eve arrived at. This ranges from about 6000 to 10,000 years depending on which "information" is prioritised (the Bible is as ever self contradictory and in-consequent). I have never heard of a YEC believer asserting a creation event 20,000 years ago as, poor in their source selection as they undoubtedly are, they have not simply plucked a figure out of thin air.

At any rate polls show a correlation between strict creationists and lower levels of education.

Do they? Would you like to provide a link to that information? Whilst I believe you may be on the right lines here, this is to my knowledge by no means certain and many otherwise very well educated and intelligent people still manage to suspend their disbelief enough to prioritise the bronze age screeds of a barbaric desert tribe over the impassionately reasoned and critically thought conclusions of the scientific method. What about those highly educated in Theology for example, or those highly educated in subjects where they and YEC beliefs are not incompatible? I am afraid that such a sweeping generalisation is unfortunately not warranted.

Scottsdale's populace is much better educated than the average which makes associating the city with that view off target:

Whilst this may be true, I refer you to my previous point.

Regarding 9/11 truthers I did a little research. There isn't much out there, but what there is changes my opinion. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that not very many Swedes, in contrast to some other EU countries like Germany, are 9/11 truthers.

Well at least that is cleared up then. Perhaps the lesson to be learnt here is to check ones claims prior to making them thus avoiding looking silly.

Just a side note, I tend to believe that the word "truthers" in combination with 9/11 claims should almost always be placed inside quotation marks as the truth is seldom what these people are claiming.
+
mångk
post 1.Oct.2012, 05:13 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Jeepili @ 30.Sep.2012, 11:54 PM) *
Yes, we do have our share of problems here, but who doesn't? For the most part we are a very culturally diverse state. Religion is the same: Christian, Muslim, Jew, Shiite ... (show full quote)

Thanks Jeepili, good to hear!

Exellent pictures in the link provided. Quite a diverse landskape!
QUOTE (Investor612 @ 1.Oct.2012, 06:35 AM) *
Illegal immigration is a huge problem, socially and economically, and nmeeds to get addressed. If I were a Mexican in Mexico, poor, and with a high school education or less, I ... (show full quote)

It may well be perception via the media!

But a Penn State study last year that revealed that only 28% of High School biology teachers in the US provide adequate information and meet NRC recommendations regarding the teaching of evolution, 60% try to avoid teaching evolution as a part of biology and 13% of the teachers advocate 'creationism' in Biology lessons! Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/general-sciences-fe...teach-evolution

Thats a very worrying set of statistics given other information available regarding 1st ammendment rights and the responsibilities of teachers to follow the set curriculum. See: http://www.firstamendmentschools.org/freed...q.aspx?id=13031
+

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: