The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

O'Leary upping the price of

Baggage for the hold.

Hisingen
post 1.Aug.2013, 12:06 AM
Post #1

Ryanair raises the price of baggage in time for the holiday season.

News on Sky is that O'Leary is upping the price of your baggage in the hold from 30€ to 50€, and his stated aim is to up the price until he gets his passengers to travel without any baggage at all, thus saving him millions. As yet he is a bit uncertain about hand luggage.

He is also telling his pilots to fly slower - to save fuel.

BUT - he says that even he will not reduce the air conditioning - some consolation I suppose.

My joke about having to bring your own seat and aviation fuel does not seem so far-fetched after all. He could perhaps be already working on the idea - - - - - -

Fly with Ryanair?? Never.
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 1.Aug.2013, 06:11 AM
Post #2

other airlines have narrowed their margins and with a good summer in the UK, he is losing trade. So he has to make money. As with any of his stunts, he reportedly gets increased custom after every rant, even though logically you would think the opposite. But people are convinced he must be the cheapest, so book without comparing.

It is possible he will cut himself out of business though and people will get fed up trying to jam two weeks of clothes in carry on luggage. Airports won't like it either as people who are lugging around the big bags of carry on are less likely to buy anything in their shops and the airports won't get the hold luggage handling income or employment.

I can see things suddenly swinging the other way in 10 years or less, another carrier will suddenly offer hand and hold, no booking fees etc.. all for a flat upfront price.. Just re-inventing the wheel.
+
Seamus Sean
post 1.Aug.2013, 06:56 AM
Post #3

Hard to beat Dublin to Sweden for €15!
+
skogsbo
post 1.Aug.2013, 07:09 AM
Post #4

it's impossible to beat, but that's why his profits have fallen 20% in the past 3mth alone. He is running routes at a loss, won't and can't last forever. He'll need to sell a few millions of his scratchcards to cover his losses!
+
eurobloke
post 1.Aug.2013, 07:26 AM
Post #5

The thing is, I personally don't mind spending the 30€ per way on having the suitcase in the hold if it balances out the cost of the ticket. However, like the others the issue should be the cost of those extras and how it balances out. I have flown BA to Arlanda and I felt no different then if I was flying Ryanair e.g. one example offering a snack of a roll I couldn't eat as it had cheese in it.

Carry-on charges, Spirit Airlines does this, at $35.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: