The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Opening a bank account without ID kort

Handlesbanken and nordea refused

post 29.May.2010, 04:48 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (polepar @ 28.May.2010, 11:51 PM) *
Well when I asked the guy at handlesbanken that are you sure about the rules that I cant apply for account without swedish id card, he told me that he is absolutely sure and n ... (show full quote)

which branch was it? if you want to push it, go back and tell them what you're been told by their own customer service. if they deny you, start collecting names and inform them you'll be filing with DO. (discriminings ombudsman)
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 29.May.2010, 06:15 AM
Post #17

Like others who have been here for a while, I had no problems opening a Bank account with once I had a PN but no Swedish ID. after I opened the account SWEDEBANK also gave me (for 500kr) an ID kort.

in some countries, you can live a fairly normal life without a bank account. This has not been the case in Sweden for decades. being paid in cash - a weekly wage packet went out in the 60's and Swedes took a bank account as a sort of social right and the banks gave accounts as a social duty ( with a little bit of direction from the government wink.gif ) and the charges that banks make are lower than a lot of other countries.

Since the financial crisis, Swedish banks have been hurting like everywhere else and would like to pick and choose new customers, taking on those that they see as being potentially more profitable for them. Rejecting a young Swede who is not financially attractive would bring the wrath of the system down on them, but an immigrant even from the EU is seen as an easier to reject as there is no pressure group to back them up.

A possible solution is to avoid the main High Street Banks- Handels, Nordea, SEB, SWEDEBANK and go for an on-line bank. ICA Bank is a good choice as although it is on line you have an effective high street branch for cash withdrawal in every ICA.

All you need to open an account is a PN, from that the bank gets your address and you will get a form to sign in the post. you will get three options as to card. ICA card - only valid in ICA, Maestro or a full Debit/credit card
+
Lingonberry
post 29.May.2010, 05:22 PM
Post #18

Have you tried Swedbank? I went in Handlesbank first because I had heard that their web site was in English and they said no as I don't have a personnummer. Then I went in Swedbank and they asked if I had a personnummer and I said 'no, sorry' and they said 'no problem' and opened an account for me - I think I showed them my EU passport. They were very helpful.
+
Majick
post 29.May.2010, 08:33 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (swozzie @ 29.May.2010, 03:15 AM) *
Sorry Phoenix if I sound pushy but the reason I'm up at this time of night is I'm on cortisone meds for asthma and as well as turning one into Hitler they stop you fro ... (show full quote)

Its cool... biggrin.gif I've got a bad knee so I understand sleepless nights alright...

As it turns out, my partner actually had a Swedish passport from the ages of 2 - 7 but didn't know til yesterday!!! This has his personal number on it but... Do you think it'll still be valid? mellow.gif
+
Johno
post 29.May.2010, 08:54 PM
Post #20

A swedish personnummer is for life and a Swedish passport at whatever age means dual nationality unless the Swedish citizenship has been consciously revoked/rejected, but very unlikely. Nevertheless expect some head scratching from Skatteverket, I guess. Does that help ?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 29.May.2010, 09:00 PM
Post #21

Since your partner had a Swedish passport he was at one point a Swedish citizen and then his personnummer will be valid forever, or at least until he dies + another 100 years. If he lost his citizenship or do not live in Sweden he will not be able to use it though, at least not to open a bank account...
+
Majick
post 29.May.2010, 09:25 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Johno @ 29.May.2010, 08:54 PM) *
A swedish personnummer is for life and a Swedish passport at whatever age means dual nationality unless the Swedish citizenship has been consciously revoked/rejected, but very ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 29.May.2010, 09:00 PM) *
Since your partner had a Swedish passport he was at one point a Swedish citizen and then his personnummer will be valid forever, or at least until he dies + another 100 years. ... (show full quote)

Thanks guys!

Erik has not had his citizenship revoked, his family just moved to the UK, where cos of his Geordie Dad, he got a British passport... It always make me laugh... Swedish Mum and a Geordie Dad PLUS he was born in Italy, poor fella!!!

HA HA HA. tongue.gif
+
*Guest*
post 30.May.2010, 02:35 PM
Post #23

Then he should have a valid personnummer, I am not certain if it is Skatteverket or Försäkringskassan that should be the first point of call though. I think he should be able to use the personnummer for banking and stuff from this point though.
+
Johno
post 30.May.2010, 03:13 PM
Post #24

Real but not active. Assume it was given at birth by an embassy but not in Sweden ? Go to Skatteverket to get into the financial system first, making sure they understand how it was acquired with him never having lived in Sweden, otherwise they will be suspicious that some tax avoidance has occured. The personnummer check works via databases showing that Skatteverket and then credit rating companies actually have some data on you. Personnummers that are not recognised are useless, but as I posted before, once you have one, it is for life and can be activated in Sweden. In fact it could be a mistake to disclose the personnummer openly until Skatteverket have it, because organisations will think something fishy is going on when they find the systems dont recognise it.
+
Rick Methven
post 30.May.2010, 03:55 PM
Post #25

My son had Swedish nationality before he ever lived in Sweden. When we went to register at Skatteverket they said that he did not exist even though he had a Swedish passport with his Personnummer on it. To get him registered and in the Skatteverket database, his number had to be retrived from migrationsverket or some such and activated. - Skatteverket did all this, It actually took longer to get his activated than it took me to get one
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 30.May.2010, 04:36 PM
Post #26

If you are a Swedish citizen and were born and are resident abroad, you will lose your Swedish citizenship when you reach the age of 22. Here we explain what to do if you wish to keep it.

We also explain how you can regain your Swedish citizenship if you lose it — and what to do if you wish to be released from your Swedish citizenship.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/313_en.html
+
uahero
post 3.Jun.2010, 08:16 AM
Post #27

Hej, I'm new in Sweden and arrived just several weeks ago. But I already have a bank account and even a valid card for me and my wife. Both we have non EU passports and she is not in Sweden yet. I had applied for Bank Account even without having a Personnummer - HR manager from our company took me to Handelsbanken branch in Gamlastan and they took copy of my passport - that was only thing required to open the account. They assigned some dummy PN to it. Now I have real PN and have applied for ID on Skattverket.
Then I have to come with ID card later to link the bank account to real PN. Or it could be even enough to show personbevis for it - will check next week when will be in Stockholm
+
jackiejunkie
post 3.Jun.2010, 09:28 AM
Post #28

Try going to a smaller branch of Handelsbanken, and try to approach a younger looking guy or girl!
They are newer in the job and want to make their mark. So They don't think much about paperwork.

When I came to sweden, I went to the main branch of handelsbanken in malmo, and they asked for thousand types of papers (including a cerificate from my bank in home country)!! Then I went to a smaller looking branch in vastra hamnen, and the guy there opened my account without any papers. It just took 5 minutes!

Hope this helps smile.gif
+
*Guest*
post 14.Apr.2011, 03:48 PM
Post #29

I've opened a bank account in Nordea with no swedish ID whatsoever. No questions asked.

If you're an EU citizen, you should be able to use your national country's ID/passport + PN. If they don't accept this then you should look for legal advice.
+
Nemesis
post 14.Apr.2011, 04:17 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (polepar @ 28.May.2010, 02:08 PM) *
HiI visited Nordea and handlesbanken and they refused to make a bank account for me as i dont have a swedish ID kort. I know that handlesbanken used to do it before or may be ... (show full quote)

It is illegal in every EU country for a bank to allow someone to open a bank account without verifiable identification such as a passport.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: