The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Finding good schools and kindergarten for my child

Where is the information?

stigskog
post 6.May.2011, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Does anyone know of any forums or websites that rank schools and kindergartens or discuss their merits ?

In the UK there are league tables to find a half decent state school, or spend as much as you can afford on a good private education .. it is quite straight forward .. but i cant find similar information in Sweden.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 7.May.2011, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Sweden does not have league tables (thank god)

You can find a lot of information about different schools from the Siris database on Skolverkets site which gives huge amounts of information about test and exam results - including which places are cheating (comparisson between the final grades awarded by schools and the grades awarded on national tests - not always the same thing)

You should arrange to visit schools and see which best meet what you are looking for - there are a huge mixture of
- state schools
- free schools
~ religious schools
~ learning philosphy schools (montessori/waldorf schools/ forest schools)
~ bilingual schools - where 50% is taught in English/German/French etc
~ parental cooperatives - run by parents
- private/internationl schools - although can be a risk if you plan to be in Sweden long term as most focus on people in Sweden on short-term contracts - but often do not teach Swedish to a high level

Start with the kommun website and arrange to visit schools you are interested in

Woth finding out how long the waiting lists are
+
stigskog
post 10.May.2011, 08:26 PM
Post #3

Thanks very much , that is a great help

Paul
+
jamesblish
post 10.May.2011, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Luckily, we haven't had to bother with choosing between "good" or "bad" schools. I don't know what the situation is like ATM because I don't go to school anymore nor do I have kids that do but I think one of the main advantages of this country is that there hasn't been such a think as good or bad schools, good or bad hospitals etc. They've all been equally good. Thank god.
+
cogito
post 11.May.2011, 08:56 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (jamesblish @ 10.May.2011, 08:52 PM) *
...one of the main advantages of this country is that there hasn't been such a think as good or bad schools, good or bad hospitals etc. They've all been equally good. Thank god.

Don't you mean equally bad?

@OP: There is a vast difference between schools (and hospitals). Word-of-mouth is the best way to find out which schools are better.
+
jamesblish
post 11.May.2011, 11:32 AM
Post #6

My point was that we've never had to think about "good" or "bad" schools since the whole idea has been to provide equal opportunities to all, regardless of income etc. Btw, a "good kindergarten"... really? I mean, when I was in kg, all the kids did was eat play-doh and throw lego at each other. What's spozed to be good or bad about that? Yeah, I'm sure I went to a bad one, whatever. I wouldn't spend five minutes obsessing over what school to send my kids to, let alone kg.
+
cattie
post 12.May.2011, 06:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (jamesblish @ 11.May.2011, 10:32 AM) *
. I wouldn't spend five minutes obsessing over what school to send my kids to, let alone kg.

As you said, you are not a parent.

Kids grow up...and the quality of the school they begin in can have and enormous impact on later opportunities. If they get "behind the curve" by third or fouth grade, it can be a hard slog to get the skills later. It is not at all easy to convince a child to change schools once they have made friends. Children are labeled and label themselves at an early age.

Places in the "best" kindergartens in Stockholm have been filled for many, many months. The deadline for school choice was February 15. I have upper class friends in Stockholm who put their kids on waiting lists for the best places many years ago. The system of knowing what is best is all by reputation.
+
MarryMoon
post 4.Apr.2016, 07:59 AM
Post #8

Hello! I would like to ask what do you know about the preschool education and what do you think about the preschools in general? Is it helpful for children? Do you know the appropriate preschools for children from birth? I read that to engage with teachers from the very birth of the child will help him in the future. Do you know prechools in Sweden like this (click here)?
+
littleviking
post 4.Apr.2016, 08:44 AM
Post #9

children go to preschool from the age of one to age 6, there is no dagis that you leave your child from age 0 since all parents have parent leave for almost 2 years.
Of course its helpful for the children, they learn a lot the socialize and all the preschool teachers are highly educated people and this is a regulated profession. Daycare personal because is it highly educated they learn children all sorts of stuff. The people are educated to nurture our children. Most daycare centers are really nice some have more perks some have less.
while parents are on parental leave they can go 3 hours a day 15 h a week.
+
littleviking
post 4.Apr.2016, 10:29 AM
Post #10

its quite rare to take children under one, only children with special needs, according to the laws children from1 have the right for a daycare space provided by the city. Considering that most people living here have the right to daycare its unlikely they will have small children sent to daycare.
yes there is children the educators but the only people that work there with out a 2 or 3,5 years educations are temporary staff that replaces the sick ones or best case scenario until new staff has been found.
Förskollärare and barnskötare are regulated professions hence you have to have an education, currently its 3,5 years. Daycare are found all over Sweden even in remote tiny villages. The village outside the city 30 km away with a population of 300 has 2 day cares.
One staff takes care of up to 6 children to 8 children. Children between 1 and 3 are around 4 to 6 to one förskollärare and from age 3 to 6 they get up to 8.
Why do you spread false information? Do you even understand what is a regulated profession? it means that you need a license to practice issued by the government after you have obtained a university degree and with testing. All jobs added have written that you are required to have a license to practice. In the eventuality that there is not enough staff they will hire you only on a temporary basis a maximum of 6 months.
Do you even live in Sweden ?

QUOTE (Savage @ 4.Apr.2016, 09:02 AM) *
Actually, its not uncommon for Swedish day care centers to have children from 6months old.In regards to staff, i am afraid that in the majority of day care's in Sweden' ... (show full quote)
+
littleviking
post 5.Apr.2016, 05:19 PM
Post #11

you do know that universities for daycare personal programs are full to the capacity and they can work while they study and do a internship there.
there are 32 programs with an average of 30 to 60 students so around 1500 daycare teachers, then for next spring almost as much programs start so the numbers grow
then you have teaching personal that is specialized in first years of study can work legally there, a bucket of them. then you have every years a bucket of people with educations that are valued as good by skolverket and UHR.
+
skogsbo
post 6.Apr.2016, 08:16 AM
Post #12

I will agree with littleviking here, our kids are nearly 7 & 9 now, we arrived here when they were 2 & 4 so we've been right through the system and I can only think of 1 or 2 negative points in that whole 5 years. The kids really have been developed far more the eldest was whilst in a UK nursery, despite it never having a low Ofsted rating(which are worthless anyway in the big scheme of things).

Staff, ours has oodles of qualified staff, many have been there for 20- 30 years, the only new faces are for the holiday periods, but there will always be some of the permanent staff working for a familiar face for the kids. They are always active with projects that teach whilst playing, forest and lakes trips, theatre and museums(free despite being 40km by bus away), When they were 5 or 6 they might not have be able to recite the 12 times table like little UK robots can, but their worldly knowledge was better. We've just returned from the UK visiting our friends who all have kids born around the same time, their gang might write a little neater etc.. but their interaction, social skills and knowledge of things beyond the UK exam schemes seem lacking. And 3 of these kids go to expensive private schools.

I've never seen any kids below 1 at the dagis, they had a special class for the 1-2years, but nothing younger.

The bigger bonus is the dagis is on the same site as the school they move on to, so they benefit from all the facilities, gym, IT, good kitchen, big play fields etc.. and they are mixing all the time with kids a few years younger and older, so they is none of that dread of moving to a new place, big kids etc..

Oh finally, no religious assemblies in schools, no uniform, no unacceptable shoes or haircuts. smile.gif
+
skogsbo
post 6.Apr.2016, 08:18 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Savage @ 4.Apr.2016, 09:37 AM) *

you do realise that using a local link as evidence destroys any value in your argument? All local articles are click bait for their US audience, who will never come here to know any better, so they just print stuff that is specifically edited to reflect a certain angle.
+
MarryMoon
post 12.Apr.2016, 12:34 PM
Post #14

Thank you all for useful information! I just recently moved to Sweden, so many things new to me smile.gif
+
DenisePeterson
post 23.May.2016, 01:22 PM
Post #15

You can find Best Dubai schools as well - http://www.edarabia.com/schools/dubai/
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: