The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Anti-American? Anti-European?

Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 23.Feb.2006, 11:02 AM
Post #16

Only occasionally, dear Aaron. tongue.gif

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
Go to the top of the page
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 23.Feb.2006, 11:51 AM
Post #17

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has never been in combat. Therefore, everything he says is null and void, anyhow.

Next...

So I guess retiring from the Navy as a Captain (One rank below General) has no bearing. Have you ever served your country (in the military)?. If not, then your logic says that your opinion of anyone who has is null and void.
+
Franko
post 23.Feb.2006, 11:54 AM
Post #18

What's a US marine doing in Sweden? Unless he's one of those rude uneducated Bs at the US Embassy in Stockholm.
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 23.Feb.2006, 11:59 AM
Post #19

Top Secret. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to, well you know the rest. Bye the way, I used to be one of those "uneducated Bs" guarding our embassies about 20 years ago. They are more educated than you think.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 23.Feb.2006, 12:03 PM
Post #20

But not in spelling. :wink:
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 23.Feb.2006, 12:10 PM
Post #21

Which word are you referring to?
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 23.Feb.2006, 12:11 PM
Post #22

Bye.
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 23.Feb.2006, 12:16 PM
Post #23

I thought so. Check out dictionary.com. Bye (also by)- a secondary matter, a side issue.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 23.Feb.2006, 12:21 PM
Post #24

Hmmmmmm I'm not sure I'm prepared to accept being out-pedanted on this one, nobody uses bye in that sense any more.
+
Alice Is Back
post 23.Feb.2006, 12:33 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Proud2busmarine)
. If not, then your logic says that your opinion of anyone who has is null and void.

well I see kang has gone from hero to zero in defending things all American. Oh well I guess these thinks can happen!
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 23.Feb.2006, 12:52 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Hmmmmmm I'm not sure I'm prepared to accept being out-pedanted on this one, nobody uses bye in that sense any more.

Had to look up pedant. Which I am definitely not, bye the way. I went straight to boot camp a month after graduating high school. By no means a scholar.
+
Franko
post 23.Feb.2006, 01:10 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)

i'm with you on this one Witch, and the ones in Stockholm are rude. BTW USMarine, how d'you pronounce 'nuclear'?
+
Beth
post 23.Feb.2006, 01:20 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Franko)
the ones [marines] in Stockholm are rude.

in all fairness, i think the marines in Stockholm are right ok...but it could be a matter of which color passport you flash.

and i don't believe in knocking the marines for the sake of being marines, but i don't think it puts anyone into elite privlidge status either...

to serve your country comes in many forms. to say if it has not been in the form of military service is to dismiss your opinion is small-minded. the armed forces are servants of the people. the civilians are your employers to whom you are responsible and accountable.

the marines are an honorable corps or respectful and committed men and women. i don't believe the poster bragging about his US Marine affiliation is a good representative on an institution worthy of merit.

especially when you boast on a public forum that you have a sadistic pleasure of imagining the destructive force of bombs on humans flesh.
+
Roy E
post 23.Feb.2006, 01:32 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Aaron_in_berlin)
well I see kang has gone from hero to zero in defending things all American. Oh well I guess these thinks can happen!

Oh, this can spontaneoulsly combust at any moment. All it takes is one person having a bad day laugh.gif

Actually,It's difficult to make a blanket 'Anti' or 'Pro' statement.

On balance, I'm both pro American and pro European. I cherish the differences and find the notion of a homogenous 'one world' depressingly bland.

I love American founding ideals while simutaneously detesting American pop-culture (from the 1990's on). It Makes me cringe. But alas. freedom also means the freeedom to be stupid - and even the freedom to broadcast that stupidity around the world *sigh* . If that's the (high) price we have to pay for freedom of speech, so be it.
+
Benzed
post 23.Feb.2006, 02:25 PM
Post #30

Anti American.

Almost lost the hate when I spent 5 months there and made a stack of sound Yankoid pals, but since then it is back to judging the country on its political manifesto, foreign policy, public figures and generally apathetic / ignorant / yeehaww public.

Insert TOOL lyrics here re: earthquakes in LA. :twisted:
+

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: