The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Open UK bank account from Sweden

Is it possible

Uncle Fred
post 14.Jan.2019, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Not like me to ask questions but I do have one. Believe it or not I have a tax refund from the UK.
My problem is the tax office want to pay it into a UK bank account that I do not have, closed it years ago.

The other alternative is for them to send a check, which Swedish banks will not cash, except Swedbank who want 1000kr for doing so.
Has anyone here opened a UK bank account from Sweden and if so would they like to share how they did it.
I do not have access to a UK address anymore.
Go to the top of the page
+
wondering_again
post 14.Jan.2019, 12:49 PM
Post #2

What about N26 or Revolut ?

have you looked into those ?
+
Uncle Fred
post 14.Jan.2019, 01:31 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (wondering_again @ 14.Jan.2019, 12:49 PM) *
What about N26 or Revolut ?. have you looked into those ?

I will check (pardon the pun) these out. Many thanks for the reply wondering_again
+
skogsbo
post 14.Jan.2019, 01:52 PM
Post #4

I don't think you can do it remotely. I've started a pension, savings account and fund for my nephew (financially in denial brother).
The barrier is always the bank/bldg soc requires a physical presence with a passport, birth certificate etc..
Your only hope is maybe your old bank will reopen an old account without visiting.
I don't think HMRC will post a cheque in someone else name either. Have they specifically said they won't pay it into someone elses account. If you are on the .gov gateway and put in the account number etc.. how would HMRC ever know.
+
intrepidfox
post 14.Jan.2019, 02:31 PM
Post #5

I recently recieved a tax rebate. They asked me if i wanted to pay it into a family members account as i´m over here. No problem

My tip is to open an account on their home page and ask away. They were very good and quick
+
bonviveur
post 14.Jan.2019, 05:42 PM
Post #6

easiest would be revolut account, just open swedish crowns account with them and then within app open british account in pounds, it will be british based if nothing changed
+
Uncle Fred
post 15.Jan.2019, 11:04 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 14.Jan.2019, 01:52 PM) *
I don't think you can do it remotely. I've started a pension, savings account and fund for my nephew (financially in denial brother).The barrier is always the bank/bld ... (show full quote)

Yes I have been through all that, my old account was Lloyds TSB they have now broken up.

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 14.Jan.2019, 02:31 PM) *
I recently recieved a tax rebate. They asked me if i wanted to pay it into a family members account as i´m over here. No problemMy tip is to open an account on their home pag ... (show full quote)

I spoke to them on the phone and they told me everything you mention.

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 14.Jan.2019, 05:42 PM) *
easiest would be revolut account, just open swedish crowns account with them and then within app open british account in pounds, it will be british based if nothing changed

This didn't work for me, I am one of those rare people with a Windows 10 phone and there's no app for this.

Thanks guys for all your help.

However I have had a stroke of luck, one of my sons old schools friends in the UK is willing to help out.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: