The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Finding work in Umeå

Help needed

LuxDefrancis
post 22.Apr.2016, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Hej,
I moved here from the UK in February to live with my partner. Since then I've been really stuck on looking for work.
I never got any qualifications after "high school" because I worked my way up in Customer Services. I have a fantastic CV, within customer services. Which of course, is no longer an option to me as I only have a very basic grasp on the Swedish language.
At the moment my partner is supporting me with a place to live and everything else but ideally I want to be making my own money here.
Can anyone advise me on how to even find basic work? It seems you either have to be highly qualified or I'm actually over qualified or I get denied because I'm not a student. It's really frustrating.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gjeebes
post 2.Jun.2016, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Your partner should have warned you how screwed you would be, moving to the middle of nowhere, without a job, and with pretty much zero prospect of getting one.

Good luck, you will need it.
+
Cheeseroller
post 3.Jun.2016, 03:30 AM
Post #3

How can you be over qualified if you have no qualifications and don't speak the language? The employment law in Sweden is much stronger than in the UK, so Swedish companies are adverse to risk. You don't have any qualifications, you don't speak the language, and because of that you can't understand the culture - which at work is quite different from the UK.

If you learn the language to basic conversation level, perhaps you can get a job in a warehouse or office cleaning. But there are Swedes and other immigrants chasing those jobs too.

Alternatively, you can create your own job by starting a business and working for yourself.
+
Genaro
post 4.Jun.2016, 05:27 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 3.Jun.2016, 03:30 AM) *
How can you be over qualified if you have no qualifications and don't speak the language?

This is over qualified for Sweden!

As for work culture, there isn't one. Lots of UK firms that have outsourced development work to Sweden are now taking it back because the Swedes are too slow / always on holiday. I think the OP could adapt to that culture.
+
Hisingen
post 4.Jun.2016, 08:35 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Genaro @ 4.Jun.2016, 04:27 AM) *
This is over qualified for Sweden!As for work culture, there isn't one. Lots of UK firms that have outsourced development work to Sweden are now taking it back because ... (show full quote)

Take little notice of this posting from an anti-everything Swedish and a very disgruntled immigrant (if he is still here that is).

Qualifications in one country are not necessary valid in another, and where Sweden is concerned, often a period of new training is required in order to meet their requirements. Language being one of them, and Swedish is not terribly easy. This is also valid where the UK is concerned, in the reverse situation, and is therefore not unique.
My late wife was an SRN in both Finland and Sweden, but to achieve the srn status in the UK had to undergo further training to meet the requirements of the College of Nursing to become SRN there.
So you can see that what is valid in X is not necessary valid in Y. Add to that, what an employer often is looking for here is someone who is enthusiastic about his or her work, and is prepared to give his/her all to the new employer. Then language need not necessarily be a hinder, as long as you are prepared to learn it, of course. Without it you are at a distinct disadvantage, despite what many would have you believe.
+
Bsmith
post 5.Jun.2016, 12:57 PM
Post #6

As I see it, you have two options. Either throw up your hands and give up, because jobs are so hard to come by, or double up on your efforts as jobs are so hard to come by.

BTW, you gotta learn the language. That's a given.
+
Hisingen
post 5.Jun.2016, 05:00 PM
Post #7

Amen to that. And despite what so many try to tell you, the language is imperative if you truly want to succeed.
+
Calumarii
post 15.Mar.2017, 10:39 AM
Post #8

There's always work as a reklamutdelare. Also for learning Swedish try a university course, it's quicker and free for EU citizens.
Alternatively, perhaps there's a course at the uni which could improve your options. I know there's plenty of masters courses in English but maybe there's some bachelors etc also.
I managed to get a job at one of the bars by handing my cv out at the right time.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: