The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Im looking for work!

Englishman needs a chance to shine

mathew5502
post 17.Oct.2016, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Hi English speaking helpful people of northern Sweden!

My name is Mathew, and i live in Ornskoldsvik with my Swedish girlfriend. I have been studying swedish but still only have a rudimentary grasp and am therefore looking for some help in finding work.

I have many skills and qualifications including a degree in Accounting and Finance, an ITIL Foundation IT qualification and a Microsoft Technology Associate in Database Fundamentals.

Is there anyone willing to help me find a job or offer to meet me to discuss possible employment? I have been to the job centre here and they were polite and helpful but all contact i h ave made with companies thus far has come up with nothing bar polite emails in response thanking me for my interest.

I will need to return to the UK on 25th October if i cant find anything, please help!
Go to the top of the page
+
Laurelia
post 17.Oct.2016, 09:13 AM
Post #2

Try http://www.arbetsformedlingen.se/ https://graduateland.com/jobs indeed.com
For graduateland choose english as your language, for indeed.com use English as one of your keywords in searches.
+
Savage
post 17.Oct.2016, 09:40 AM
Post #3

The OP has a fairly good skill-set according to his statement.
Its just a shame, that his location puts him at such a disadvantage. Sweden is tough, but Ornskoldsvik ?

I would personally suggest he looks further afield than Sweden.
"Winter is coming" (literally) And many companies i(even Swedish ones) n the IT world have been exuding Sweden or looking to drastically slash jobs and relocate in more favorable parts of the world, such as Ericson.

I would like to ask the OP, prior to coming to Sweden.
Where you given any words of encouragement from your partner or related family in regards to finding work in Sweden?
Such as finding work in bars or schools needing an English teacher?
+
mathew5502
post 17.Oct.2016, 11:45 AM
Post #4

Thank you for your replies! No words of encouragement were given, although i understand it would be difficult to find work up here. But there surely must be someone seeking an intelligent English person to work for them!

Im at a loss after having tried many things.
+
Bsmith
post 17.Oct.2016, 02:56 PM
Post #5

How far away from your chosen field are you willing to settle for? Dishwasher? Toilet cleaner? It just may come to that. Sorry, just reality. And October 25th isn't giving you much time. I wish you luck. It's tough out there.
+
Hisingen
post 17.Oct.2016, 03:03 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Savage @ 17.Oct.2016, 09:40 AM) *
- - - - And many companies i(even Swedish ones) n the IT world have been exuding Sweden or looking to drastically slash jobs and relocate in more favorable parts of the world, such as Ericson. - - - -

Do you really mean exuding, or have you not looked the word up??
+
mathew5502
post 17.Oct.2016, 04:13 PM
Post #7

I dont mind being a dishwasher - i will do anything!
+
Bsmith
post 17.Oct.2016, 06:07 PM
Post #8

I got a job in Sweden, with very rudimentary Swedish working for a moving company. Not bad pay and the scenery is better than being a dishwasher. Give it a try.
+
Genaro
post 19.Oct.2016, 08:19 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (mathew5502 @ 17.Oct.2016, 11:45 AM) *
Thank you for your replies! No words of encouragement were given, although i understand it would be difficult to find work up here. But there surely must be someone seekin ... (show full quote)

This is Sweden, therefore intelligence is seen as a de-merit attribute and a threat to the status quo. You'll need to play down intelligence, qualifications and experience for the 'job-market' (if such a thing exists) in Sweden.

Knowledge of Swedish will double your chances at least, but to be frank, they are so slim to start with.
+
skogsbo
post 20.Oct.2016, 07:53 AM
Post #10

Ignore the moaners above. I think location has killed it for you. If you have lived in one of the biggest cities, had a cv with a little experience on top of those qualifications then you would not be having this conversation. Your chances are slim to none unless you move.
+
Savage
post 20.Oct.2016, 09:47 AM
Post #11

I always have a good laugh when posters offset blame onto the "moaners".
And then go on to blame the OP for being in the wrong type of Sweden, etc.

Granted, the OP is in a shitty area, but it still has close to 30,000 residents.
I would say this is more so a reflection on Sweden and what it has to offer (and more importantly, to whom), than anything else.
+
Hisingen
post 20.Oct.2016, 12:41 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Savage @ 20.Oct.2016, 09:47 AM) *
I always have a good laugh when posters offset blame onto the "moaners".- - - -

I bet you are laughing quite a lot then, with that twisted sense of humour and lack of grammar you have.
Are you English, and if so are you a product of the Bliar edjukayshun - ejakaition - ehdyewcaishun? ? ?
T'would seem so. rolleyes.gif
+
mathew5502
post 20.Oct.2016, 01:11 PM
Post #13

Well guys thanks for your replies, but i was kind of hoping some amazing entrepreneur would see my post and rescue me from the hell of returning to the UK without my gf!
+
Savage
post 20.Oct.2016, 02:18 PM
Post #14

Look forwards, not backwards.
This could be a blessing in disguise.

Good luck!
+
Bsmith
post 20.Oct.2016, 02:54 PM
Post #15

Maybe someday you will be the amazing entrepreneur who helps out a person in need.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: