The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Closed Topic

The Local Forum RIP 2005 - 2009

This forum is dead to me

Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Jul.2009, 04:26 PM
Post #16

Agree fully with the OP! This place has become extremely dull and if TL want to keep their ad-revenue I suggest they ditch the moderations/rewriting/deletion of posts and threads...
Go to the top of the page
+
Eric Cantona
post 16.Jul.2009, 04:31 PM
Post #17

Yeah BUT, the interested parties will point to the highest spike ever online at any point as being in June just passed...

Not sure re overall averaged viewing figures however
+
High Priestess Kang - Slu...
post 16.Jul.2009, 04:40 PM
Post #18

Kitten...

It could be that my reading comprehension is fail given that I'm currently driven to distraction by a combination of heartburn and Elisabeth Hasselbeck's crowing on The View. I don't recall anyone taking Mark Base, Puffin and you to task regarding moderation, though.

There is a ginormous difference between the moderators who are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts and the forum administrator who is a paid employee. I understand that people haven't been the nicest to the moderators and they should be openly shamed for shitting on volunteers.

My frustration and interpretation of others' frustration is rooted with the paid employee who feels above responding to normal requests of the regular participants. Granted, Editor Bob need only answer to those who are depositing shiny kronor in his account but he comes across as a right asshole when he ignores basic requests. Even more of an asshole (borderline toddler) when he deletes comments which critique his, "management" style.

Fact of the matter is the content of discuss has been vapid for months. None of Bob's, "enhancements" have made the place better. Perhaps it would be less frustrating for the users if Bob could be arsed to step off of his vaulted pedestal and lower himself to communicating with the masses so we could maximize the features he feels are so lacking. :vomits in mouth:

Trowbridge is correct. Jamtjim is correct. Rubbi is correct. Paulo is correct.

The administration of this forum is nothing short of random and solely at the discretion of one individual who feels he doesn't have to play nicely with others.

I remain gobsmacked by Bob's silence and the silence of the actual proprietors of this website. I think Dock Ellis mentioned something about shitting on the customer base in one of his well-founded rants directed at Bob. At the time, I thought Dock was simply being hissy about having been edited. Now, I realize that Dock saw this trainwreck happening long before the rest of us.

As I see it...the journalistic stylings of The Local have been swinging more towards tabloid in the past two or three years. Now the discuss section has become a breeding ground for vapid, repetitive conversation (shame since the repetitive nature could be resolved by have a query function that actually works). The members came to The Local to discuss actual news. If they had wanted a refuge for expats, they would be more comfortable playing at LIS since it's quite obvious that site is specifically tailored to that.
+
collan
post 16.Jul.2009, 05:03 PM
Post #19

I feel that one of the big problems is that many of the users that are solely using this forum to spread hate and inflame the rest of us have found their way here through articles.

The function of discussion connected to articles on the page is one that has only brought hate-mongering and idiots.
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 16.Jul.2009, 05:05 PM
Post #20

I have left this one for awhile, to see what direction it would take before I put my oar in. Rather than trying to find the original thread, whereas I stated that this site if it continued in the direction that editor bob was pushing for. The site would lose its uniqueness, and become boring and dull... it is obvious we are that stage now. My relationship with bob was not a good one, and I lost count the number of times he deleted my posts...never mind its only a web site.

Whoever started this site can feel pride for the effort, but now like any business when customers begin to leave...they had better get their act together now. The only success that bob achieved was his ability to get a lot of you in his camp...remember that(there was a lot of sucking up done). And most probably the same for the people at TL. What he has achieved with his meddling, is he has stripped out all that was good with the site...I said it back then as I say now. Most of what we have now on this site is our fault for believing that a few cosmetic changes would do the trick.

I wonder how long this post stays before being deleted, will someone time it please ?

angry.gif
+
Plowbridge
post 16.Jul.2009, 05:37 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 16.Jul.2009, 05:26 PM) *
... and if TL want to keep their ad-revenue I suggest they ditch the moderations/rewriting/deletion of posts and threads...

How wrong can you be? You fail to see the patently obvious that the watering down of the forum has become necessary to protect ad revenues. I suspect that the forum has somewhat outgrown it's functionality and usefulness to TL as they can now report enough readers of the news and associated tabloid articles to make required profits and protect growth targets. The only danger to the model comes from within the forum where all kinds of upsetting or controversial issues are found. The naive thread on Air France would have confirmed that for them and it would not surprise me if Ed Bob has been hauled over the coals and sent back to dealing with TL.de.

If an official reply is required as to the concerns of direction and standing within the forum then it should not come from the unassociated moderators but ones that have actual responsibility. James Savage will presumably be happy to respond if requested. It may be a private answer though.
+
lolly
post 16.Jul.2009, 06:07 PM
Post #22

Plain and simple.. the new format of the forum sucks.

It is too PC!
+
Eric Cantona
post 16.Jul.2009, 06:24 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Plowbridge H. Broad @ 16.Jul.2009, 05:37 PM) *
How wrong can you be? You fail to see the patently obvious that the watering down of the forum has become necessary to protect ad revenues. I suspect that the forum has somewh ... (show full quote)

Have you thought this one through?

Surely a watered down forum
= less entertainment for punters
= less log-ons
= lower figures
= more talking sihte when trying to flog advertising for revenue
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 16.Jul.2009, 06:42 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (lolly @ 16.Jul.2009, 07:07 PM) *
Plain and simple.. the new format of the forum sucks.. It is too PC!

I agree, but...

I hate to even mention this here in case Bob gets even more heavy handed with the post deleting, but in Australia there is a film maker, Greg Smith, who is suing forum owners because he lost lost foreign financial backing for a film as a result of insults and defamatory comment on a forum.

"But the film deal was axed after the overseas party that contracted Smith to make the film allegedly stumbled across the comments on the zGeek forum and decided Smith's reputation was too damaged to continue."

The attacks on Smith began after he entered a discussion on the zGeek site about the book The Third Truth, which claims the destruction of the World Trade Centre towers in New York was the result of nuclear weapons installed by Israeli intelligence service Mossad.

Smith wrote that "the arguments and evidence presented are very convincing", but the forum community quickly turned on him, claiming he was connected with the publisher.

It sounds like The Local better hope that Trow is not trying to negotiate a film deal as these guys are on the same wavelength wink.gif

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technolog...4t.html?page=-1

Maybe this is not a problem in Sweden. The article mentions that US website owners are protected from this sort of thing.
+
lolly
post 16.Jul.2009, 06:52 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Renfeh Hguh @ 17.Jul.2009, 01:42 AM) *
I agree, but...I hate to even mention this here in case Bob gets even more heavy handed with the post deleting, but in Australia there is a film maker, Greg Smith, who is suin ... (show full quote)

On a forum I use, a company attempted to sue it for defamation.

Users of it's software were on it making statements about their experiences and the company believed that it was being defamed. They ended up having to drop the lawsuit as it had no merit and the company's reputation was damaged more by it's own attempts to sue rather than fix the software that people were complaining about. The company went into liquidation less than a year later.

Do a search of a company called "2clix"

I understand that yes, some of the things that are said are terrible, things that break the law like the hate stuff, sure get rid of it - but editing individual opinions / titles? come on.

I have a right to say that Editor Bob is a git. Granted, I haven't said it, but it's my right to express my personal opinion!

Either way, the forum is being sanitised of personality and flair, the kind of thing that drew people to it's site in the first place.
+
Plowbridge
post 16.Jul.2009, 07:04 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Eric Cantona @ 16.Jul.2009, 07:24 PM) *
Have you thought this one through? . Surely a watered down forum . = less entertainment for punters . = less log-ons . = lower figures . = more talking sihte when trying to flog advertising for revenue

TL doesn't rely on the forum for viewing figures; It is just one of the contents within and carries potential to be most the most dangerous to TL's future. How do you sell ad space to an airline when you have staff posting mock plane crash stories? How does constant racism and hatred on threads add to the brand?.
+
High Priestess Kang - Slu...
post 16.Jul.2009, 07:23 PM
Post #27

Whoa Nellie...

Plowbridge, I adore you but I think you're off the mark.

Bob's role should be adding user-friendly enhancements and ensuring that the racist bile is limited. Not one single person advocates allowing the racist slime and homophobic commentary. Not a soul.

Let's face it...Bob thought it would be cheeky to start the Air France thread. Personally, I found a lot of the comments to be overly histrionic because it was all to obvious that the thread was a phucking joke. That said, I can see how people found it overly offensive and it wasn't Bob's finest hour allowing it to stand, not responding to the criticism and then simply deleting it to cover his poor judgment.

To speak to a point Dock Ellis made earlier (and I referenced), I find it really hard to believe that the Editorial staff actually gives a flying phuck about the brand when they cannot be arsed to answer the feedback that's being posted in this very thread.

The responsibility for the success of The Local lies directly with Paul, James and company. If they want to goat-phuck their own site by allowing Bob's assbanditry to continue ... that's on them.

Bob is a tool and, to be blunt, a blatant coward since he cannot answer one question about why he refuses to respond to the valid concerns of the participants. Nothing highlights this any more clearly than the fact that he doesn't even have the balls to visibly log in (has anyone ever noticed that you never see his name on the list of active users?).

Yeah. I'm pissed off. I have been playing here for years and while I may be part of the problem according to those who whine about a mysterious clique, I'm still an active member who is really upset about seeing a once fantastic site watered down because of some poor decisions being made on the part of ONE admin.

Lastly - and I feel utterly compelled to say this to everyone - back the phuck off of Kitten, Mark Base and Puffin. They volunteered to do the job and we all supported that. They're not the problem. If anything, they're the solution provided Editor Bob relaxes his autocratic ways and allows these intelligent folks to use their judgment accordingly.
+
Mzungu
post 16.Jul.2009, 07:46 PM
Post #28

All one can add to Kangs latests posts, is that miss the old times on TL when we could play and laugh for hours on end. Then in the next breath indulge in a serious discussion,without the crap we endure presently.

*really miss those times,also the likes of Espen,Mary,Alfredo to name but three of dozens*
+
Nuname
post 16.Jul.2009, 07:53 PM
Post #29

IMO The Local wants the discussion page to be only about Swedish news and a place where people can get helpful advice about Sweden. This is what's it's become and as such is successful.

It's a shame because it was generally a fun board to be on but it seems to be the way of the internet that companies are getting away with suing people for any old rubbish, (see my football team SWFC) so people who run boards have to be very careful.

I'll second Kang that the mods are fine upstanding people (well the ones I know anyway), who are trying to keep this community going. I think they're fighting a losing battle though.

Has Bob gone by the way? I notice the title hasn't been changed.
+
70sdreamer
post 16.Jul.2009, 08:21 PM
Post #30

I'm very ambivalent about getting involved in all this, partly because my comments usually either kills a thread or are not really taken in as part of any on-going discussion... But I still feel I have a right to stick my oar in... I've been here long enough now!

OK, so we have a new forum layout (which seems to work quite nicely), some new rules (not all of them working quite as nicely) and some new people to take into account (like the infamous Bob)...

I loved the old forum and have met some amazing people through this site (including, but not limited to the wonderful Mark Base and the lovely Miss Kitten)! I never participate much (I don't do politics much, and I don't like to get involved in controversy), but I still felt part of it all somehow on the old TL... The new forum? I'm still undecided, but I don't feel as at home here yet. Perhaps it just takes time? Now, granted, I haven't had my posts edited yet (difficult to edit someone who mostly posts about meet-ups, places and times) or my subjects audited (same reason), but still... It doesn't feel the same.

Maybe, just maybe, we're just going through a shift in generation (generationsväxling, whatever that might be in English)? There are quite a few new posters here, posters who never knew the old TL and who are now shaping this forum and guiding it in a different direction, and us 'oldies' might just have to move over, move on, move out? Now, if you guys go, please let me know where, because I'd love to still read all your funny, mad and sometimes outrageous posts! But maybe not even TL can stay the same forever?

I don't know the politics or business ventures behind this site, and honestly I don't care much, but I've actually met Bob and he doesn't seem like a coward to me. In fact - and you might not like this at all - he was quite fun and disturbingly charming! This is his job remember and I doubt he's come up with the rules completely on his own - don't confuse that with him as a person, please! But in his work capacity I suppose he really has no way of pleasing everybody, does he? And don't forget, we were whining quite a bit about the old forum too!

Has anything I've said here added anything to the discussion? Probably not. But at least I've got it off my chest... Whatever that might be worth!
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed Topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: