The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Advice for moving to Gothenburg

Helenmay
post 10.Jan.2006, 08:17 PM
Post #31

Thanks for the really useful pot Haz - I'll bear all that in mind when I'm looking for a flat.
Go to the top of the page
+
Haz
post 10.Jan.2006, 08:24 PM
Post #32

-.-.- earth to Helen .-.-. earth to Helen .-.-. do you read me Helen .-.-.-.-.

trying to get, let alone follow, advice from strangers that know nothing about you or what you are looking for on the INTERNET of all places isn't really logical.

All you need to know

- It costs alot to get anapartment
- it takes a long time (unless of course you are super-fabulus like me and the world does things like i don't know ... warms the toilet seat right-up before you get ready to take a wee-wee at night)
+
Helenmay
post 10.Jan.2006, 09:23 PM
Post #33

There was me thinking that a discussion board for moving to Sweden was a good place to ask for advice but you obviously know more about the internet than me Haz.

I asked a couple of simple questions...

QUOTE (Helen Clark)
- how long did it take you to find a flat to rent?
- can you recomend any good letting agencies/estate agents etc. We have heard of a company called 'Posidon' or something as being good but don't know the actual name - does anyone know it?
- we don't really mind where we are in Gothenburg so long as we can catch the tram/bus into the centre. Are there any areas we look out for as being good/places to avoid?
- is it more common to have 1st or 2nd hand contracts?

..so yes, strangers do know what I'm asking.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 10.Jan.2006, 09:39 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Streja)
It is a bit short really I think. Especially if you have no contacts I think. How about buying something? Is that a possibility?

Our plan is to buy somewhere but I wanted to rent first even if it was just for a short while because otherwise we'll rush into buying a flat just to get out of his parents' place, and I'm not sure that's so bright.

Bugger. I really don't want to be here alone in London for too long, but I don't want to be shacked up at his parents house for months either. Maybe if I offer a year's rent up front I can get ahead in the queue, or something...

Helen I think askng advice in here is what it's for, isn't it?
+
Helenmay
post 10.Jan.2006, 09:44 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Helen I think askng advice in here is what it's for, isn't it?

Well thats what I'd hoped!!

Hopefully with your boyfriend actually being Swedish and being in GBG will make it easier. My bf and I speak OKish Swedish but I don't know how we'll do reading contracts and having to drive to GBG from Trollhattan if/when a flat turns up... Fingers crossed for us both and I'll maybe see you there!! biggrin.gif
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 10.Jan.2006, 09:46 PM
Post #36

Meeting up would be cool! (You're not the Helen who once replied to me on the very very dead BritsInSweden forum are you - English teaching assistant...?) I'll have to get there first though, at this rate it'll be 2007 before I actually make the move!
+
Helenmay
post 10.Jan.2006, 09:51 PM
Post #37

Yes, it is me! Sweden is a small world like that!! Would be good to meet up but I'm not sure how to go about getting in touch as I don't really fancy sticking my email on here for everyone... :?
+
Haz
post 10.Jan.2006, 09:52 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Helen Clark)
There was me thinking that a discussion board for moving to Sweden was a good place to ask for advice but you obviously know more about the internet than me Haz.

don't worry about me, im just trolling

- how long did it take you to find a flat to rent?
-- 15 minutes

- can you recomend any good letting agencies/estate agents etc. We have heard of a company called 'Posidon' or something as being good but don't know the actual name - does anyone know it?

-- i found the number posted on a wall and called it.

- we don't really mind where we are in Gothenburg so long as we can catch the tram/bus into the centre. Are there any areas we look out for as being good/places to avoid?

-- i think you get what you pay for, and i really don't think there any "bad" places in Gbg
every place is very close to the train so don't worry about that

- is it more common to have 1st or 2nd hand contracts?

-- i rented directly from the (little houses) owner.

Best of Luck,
- When you come here we can have Tea Together, On me, I promise.
+
Helenmay
post 10.Jan.2006, 09:53 PM
Post #39

Thank you Haz! See you for tea soon then!
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: