The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Does Gothenburg Want Software Developers?

Rayner
post 7.Nov.2005, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

I'm looking to move to Gothenburg as soon as possible, but *must* find work over there prior to moving...the joys of needing money.

I've read through the posts in this forum, and the job market seems a bit depressing (to say the least). Is this a general trend for all employment sectors?

Basically, I'm a software developer with 6 years experience in Visual Basic and SQL Server. Am I going to find it easy to get a job, or is the area flooded with out of work developers who make ends meet by offering sexual favours in dark alleys?

Thanks in advance,

Rayner
Go to the top of the page
+
Eciym
post 7.Nov.2005, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Are you freelance? I would have thought that you could take work from anywhere in the world. As you may have gathered the jobs front here is limited, plus a lot of programming is done in the far east these days, as you're probably aware of. but that is only a broad view on the subject. Perhaps there is a great demand for programmers here, although I can't think why there should be.
+
Ecosse
post 7.Nov.2005, 03:38 PM
Post #3

Worked 5 years in GBG as IT manager, Applied 40 jobs last 5 months here, NOT 1 interview, only 2 companies had decency to say thanks but unsuccesful.. And I speak swedish... Too many IT trained people here.. When I say "trained" I mean they have the paper qualification, but up to the job is debatable in my experience...
+
Eyallow
post 7.Nov.2005, 03:43 PM
Post #4

The IT branch in Sweden has been officially reported to be stagnated and constitutes one of the sectors that has been most afflicted by the scourge of unemployment in Sweden!
+
Benzed
post 9.Nov.2005, 02:36 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Kevan Hughes)
Worked 5 years in GBG as IT manager, Applied 40 jobs last 5 months here, NOT 1 interview, only 2 companies had decency to say thanks but unsuccesful.. And I speak swedish... Too many IT trained people here.. When I say "trained" I mean they have the paper qualification, but up to the job is debatable in my experience...

most.
depressing.
post.
EVER.
+
Rayner
post 9.Nov.2005, 02:58 PM
Post #6

No, it didn't exactly fill me with confidence, but I'm not about to give up!

Time to step up to Phase 2 of my plan: send my CV to every company in GBG that has an email address.

Phase 3 will include spending a week in GBG and either phoning or visiting every IT Manager I can find.

Phase 4 involves kidnap and blackmail, but I hope I don't have to go that far.

Rayner
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 9.Nov.2005, 03:29 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Rayner)

Go ahead and start with Step 4 - police are too busy watching the money trucks to do anything else... :twisted:

vaya con dios!
+
Steven Kirk
post 9.Nov.2005, 07:59 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Rayner)
No, it didn't exactly fill me with confidence, but I'm not about to give up!

Time to step up to Phase 2 of my plan: send my CV to every company in GBG that has an email address.

Phase 3 will include spending a week in GBG and either phoning or visiting every IT Manager I can find.

Rayner

My guess is that your emails will almost certainly be ignored (but send them anyway). Phoning (or even better, visiting) seems to work much better when talking to Swedish companies, even in IT-based industries. Try to use email addresses for specific relevant people within the companies - in my experience, almost all messages to addresses like 'info@somecompanyname.se' end up in the bit bucket.

YMMV. Good luck.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: