The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Information regarding Universities reputation

Lulea vs Stockholm

Netsec
post 19.Dec.2016, 01:28 AM
Post #1

Hello all,

I am interested in applying to Lulea and Stockholm Universities for a distance learning Master degree (almost done with the applications). A couple of days ago I found this forum and I thought that this is the best place to ask for more information regarding the reputation of these two Universities. I know that Stockholm was among the first 100 unis but I have no information about Lulea. Any thoughts, directions? It would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 19.Dec.2016, 09:58 PM
Post #2

It's quite difficult to compare the two. In essence, it depends on what you want to study.
Luleå is a technical university; Stockholm is a "full service" university.

As a technical university, Luleå is pretty good, but ranks behind the KTH and Chalmers.

KTH (in Stockholm) and Chalmers (in Gothenburg) are effectively the engineering faculties of Stockholm and Gothenburg. In Stockholm, KTH and Stockholm University overlap, in the sense that some courses are shared, and some departments are located in the same buildings.

Since Stockholm University per se doesn't really have an engineering faculty, the better direct comparison to Luleå would be with KTH. SU is very good though at the more theoretical end - so mathematics is fine, for example.

But to a person without any insight, the general perception would be that Stockholm is "better" than Luleå. But that perception is from (for example) the law program at Stockholm being highly regarded, which likely has no bearing on you as Luleå doesn't offer law!
+
Netsec
post 19.Dec.2016, 11:32 PM
Post #3

I think I completely understand your point. I'm interested for IT Master's. Thank you very much for your info it was very helpful. Also if there is any student currently enrolled to these Unis in IT Master progammes I would be glad to read their experiences.
+
hatim
post 22.Dec.2016, 02:28 PM
Post #4

Lulea is a small university compared to Stockholm. So I imagine that you will have more chances of making personal connections when studying remotely. You should compare the course contents and learning outcomes to make your choice. University reputation is overrated.
+
wallace1837
post 22.Dec.2016, 03:07 PM
Post #5

Universities in Sweden are only starting to be accountable for the program they give, now that they are changing full tuition for non EU citizens.

With that in mind, you could check the legal case won by an American student over the poor quality of her program in Sweden http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/...degree-and-win/ . It is about another university, but the legal framework of accountability is rather a new thing in Swede, when it exists.

Quality will vary, but you should put your expectations really low. What value would you give to a program that allows you an infinite number of re-exams when you fail?
+
Netsec
post 2.Jan.2017, 02:17 AM
Post #6

Thank you all for the info and personal opinions. I submitted my application based on the MSc subject and courses.Let's see what will happen. I guess there will be another post on this forum to talk about this year's admissions etc.
+
smullyan
post 2.Jan.2017, 04:41 PM
Post #7

I am guessing by your username that you are interested in taking an information security masters. I know Luleå offers a new one by distance but am not sure what you are referring to with Stockholm (is it the Decision Support and Risk analysis masters?). Honestly, unless you are expecting to work in Sweden afterwards and stay here for your career you would be much better off looking at one of the more reputable distance masters degrees in the UK. I know both Royal Holloway and Edinburgh Napier offer masters in infosec by distance with Royal Holloway being among the best in the world. The Royal Holloway programme may cost a bit more but its guaranteed to be a very solid programme with a strong alumni network and is certified by the GCHQ. I don't know as much about Edinburgh Napier but have heard pretty decent things. I would honestly stay clear of both Luleå and Stockholm if you have any ambition to work outside of Sweden. Having spent a few minutes looking at the syllabus for the programme at Luleå there are massive gaps of knowledge being missed for a well rounded programme, nothing on cryptography, digital forensics, application security, offensive security (exploitation, reverse engineering, penetration testing). The goal after any masters in infosec should be to take the CISSP (associate) right away but I think you would have a very difficult time doing that. Anyways, just my thoughts, good luck.
+
Netsec
post 3.Jan.2017, 02:16 AM
Post #8

Thanks smullyan for your reply. This would be my second MSc (first was from UK uni in networks) and I have infosec , networking and forensics certs but not CISSP because I am interested in the practical side of infosec so I prefer hands on certs just for now. I am aware about UK MScs but they have a high cost. Since Sweden's Unis are free I am interested to pursue an online degree. I think some of them are reputable too. Royal Holloway of course its the best in UK but is very expensive. For the Stockholm uni I am interested for both the one you mentioned and the open eGoverment.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: