The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Londoner Moving to Stockholm

Software Developer with a job offer

CODESTOCKHOLMGUY
post 11.Nov.2017, 02:16 AM
Post #1

Hej,

I am a Software developer (React, JavaScript) with 5 years experience. My wife is Swedish and she has been living in London for 3 years. I recently got an offer for 49,000 KR/month and we want to move to Stockholm.

Budget

Rent: 15 000
Food/Shopping: 5,000
Transport: 800 SEK

My questions:

- is 49 000/month correct for my level of experience
- Assuming my wife doesn't find work in her field, would 49,000 support us both?
- Should I ask for more? and how open are Swedes to negotiating?
- Any tips you can share?

Regards,
Sabeur
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Nov.2017, 02:24 AM
Post #2

I don't want to seem unhelpful, but doesn't your wife know this???
+
CODESTOCKHOLMGUY
post 11.Nov.2017, 03:46 PM
Post #3

@Gamla not at all, very fair question

She hasn't worked or lived in Stockholm. She from another a small town, and honestly I want a second opinion of what is a good salary.
+
gsurya
post 11.Nov.2017, 04:45 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (CODESTOCKHOLMGUY @ 11.Nov.2017, 03:46 PM) *
@Gamla not at all, very fair question. She hasn't worked or lived in Stockholm. She from another a small town, and honestly I want a second opinion of what is a good salary.

You will find some very ugly trolls on this forum, just ignore them.

49000 is the right level for your are of coding & experience. Domain expertise can also matter. Its an average level for Stockholm, which is an expensive place to live in.

Generally if a Swedish company has already made an offer after discussions with you, they have given it a fair thought & consider it a good offer. You can also ask about some relocation payment, if thats not already added in.

Your wife being Swedish, she will be able to find work sooner or later, as unemployment rates amongst natives is quite low, for those who are looking for work.
+
yet another brit
post 11.Nov.2017, 05:05 PM
Post #5

It's a good salary. Plenty of families survive with a joint income of that...

Note though - that there is no married persons allowance, so a single salary of 49 is taxed higher than 2 x 25.

And life without a job is bit boring, because so few people are home all day. So your wife might want to do something to fill her time...

Check if there is an enhanced non-contributory pension for high earners above some threshold - normally this is around 50k / month. If your employer has such a plan (it ishomen't necessarily so), then try to get your salary over it as suddenly you might get a much enhanced plan.
+
Svedallas
post 11.Nov.2017, 05:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (CODESTOCKHOLMGUY @ 11.Nov.2017, 02:16 AM) *
Hej, I am a Software developer (React, JavaScript) with 5 years experience. My wife is Swedish and she has been living in London for 3 years. I recently got an offer for 49,00 ... (show full quote)

Unless there will be a second job in the household.
This is a fairly tight budget for two. But is the rate is an average range.
+
CODESTOCKHOLMGUY
post 11.Nov.2017, 06:52 PM
Post #7

thank you gsurya yet another brit Svedallas for you replies.

This is very informative information.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: