The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Bringing a UK car to Sweden

Hjälp mig...

*Guest*
post 7.Jun.2015, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Hi, I realise a few of these threads already exist but I just wanted to clarify a few things which have seemed uncertain to me through reading people's experiences and the ever conflicting information available on Swedish government sites.

My partner and I have been looking at getting a car for a while now and have just been offered my grandma's old car for free, unfortunately it is a right hand drive car currently in the UK. As I understand it if I want to register this car in Sweden I will need to modify the speedometer (if it doesn't have a kph scale), the headlights and foglights before taking it through a very expensive, bureaucratic process. This process may not be entirely worth it as the car is a daihatsu...

I noticed in another thread (http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=51831) however, that "You can drive an EU vehicle in Sweden for 7 days if you are permanently resident, or for up to 12 months if you are a temporary resident". Which leads me to ask if I could instead legally drive my grandma's car here for 12 months on UK insurance, giving me time to decide whether it's worth modifying and registering as Swedish? The only thing I am unsure of is whether I am considered a temporary resident or a permanent resident, as migrationsverket makes no use of those terms in the information I can find about being an EU citizen living and working in Sweden (I'm from the UK and have lived and worked here officially since April 2014). Has anyone else driven a right hand drive car on UK insurance in Sweden for an extended period?

Failing all of this, if I were to choose to simply buy a Swedish car I am assuming it is legal for me to own, drive and insure a Swedish car with my English driver's licence? This was the original plan, but I thought it best to check about the RHD car as a free car is a pretty good offer!

TIA
Go to the top of the page
+
trumanshow
post 7.Jun.2015, 05:31 PM
Post #2

It depends on your UK insurance. Not many will let you drive a car abroad for more than 3 months in a year. I drove my UK car here on and off for a period of time and told them when i was driving it and not.

Ultimately it wasnt that costly to get it through registration. I think the speedo thing you could probably find a cheap sticker. Mine had both kph and mph. The headlamps were a bit expensive even second hand and for the fog lamp i just ran a wire from one light cluster to the other. The actual registration wasn't that much - around a 1000 if i remember correctly.

Having said all that, I wouldnt bother. I wouldnt again but i was attached to my merc vito and i always assumed i would need something to take my stuff home to the UK. You can pick up a half decent old volvo for 5000 krona and save yourself a lot of bother.
+
Zakalwe
post 7.Jun.2015, 11:13 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Catziki @ 7.Jun.2015, 03:35 PM) *
I noticed in another thread (http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=51831) however, that "You can drive an EU vehicle in Sweden for 7 days if you are permanen ... (show full quote)

I don't think those 12 months actually still apply - if you follow that link you will end up at a missing 404-page on the Transportstyrelsen-site. If you instead dig into the current pages, you will only find the 7-day-rule, with no distinction between types of residents.

That being said, the borders are open, it is hard to tell for anyone when you import a car from another EU-country, or even whether a car has been imported at all. Do tourists have to register their cars here if they stay for more than a week? Hardly. Can a permanent resident drive to Denmark and back once a week to reset the counter? In practice no one can really check.

The critical thing is the insurance. When I moved here I took my car with me, and I had informed the insurance about this. I drove that car over half a year with its original plates before I bothered registering. It is a process that takes weeks (or even months, if you add getting the prerequisite person number). The one week rule is completely impractical, and I think people know this. When I started the registration process I asked the Transportstyrelsen on the phone whether I would need a temporary registration for the time being, and they basically said, eh, why bother, as long as you still have a valid insurance...
+
Hisingen
post 8.Jun.2015, 12:09 AM
Post #4

It is possible that the insurance will be the bugbear. But I would point out another risk - do not be too sure that no-one will take note of a foreign registration for any length of time. The Customs have eyes everywhere. I speak from personal experience. Albeit many years back - but in the current atmosphere of the alcohol and tobacco smugglers, the Customs even today will be aware of a regular appearance of foreign plates.
RHD will put you at a disadvantage, too. Of that you can be sure. Depending upon the age of the car, you might possibly even fall into the 'vintage car' category which could make life a little easier. You might find it worthwhile just looking into that aspect. According to the Road Traffic Authority's web site, any vehicle that is certified as being over thirty years old is free of road tax. You did mention that the car in question was your grandmother's - - -

Anyway - hope this is of some help.
+
peter81
post 8.Jun.2015, 05:30 PM
Post #5

I've just had the exact same situation as you. 13 year old UK reg peugeot 206 given for free. My speedo was already both KM and mph so no probs there. I bought new lights on Ebay germany whcih cost 70 EUR inc. shipping. Took about 2 hours to fit them (I'm not a mechanic). No issue with fog light as on the 206 it is in the middle.

First you need a Certificate of conformity - ursprungskontroll- costs 600kr. You send your V5 to Transportstyrlsen and they do their thing for about a week then send you a number to give to your local Bilprovning place when you book the inspection.

Bilprovning - Both vehicle registration and Mot done at the same time cost about 2000kr - includes number plates

All in, not to bad, considering my old 206 had nearly no miles on it, in great condition, but if sold in UK was nearly worthless.
+
Rick Methven
post 9.Jun.2015, 07:29 PM
Post #6

The law has changed since I brought my Saab 9000 from the UK. Nowadays EU law says that you must register your car in the country that you are resident, so if you have a Swedish PN then you have no leeway of time to put it on the Swedish register. You can expect a total cost of around 2000kr and a couple of hours work to get it approved as long as it was made after 2002. Check out the cost of a LHD Swedish model of the same year and work out the cost. Remember getting the car to Sweden wiil cost you a lot more than a flight on Ryanair.
+
skogsbo
post 9.Jun.2015, 08:42 PM
Post #7

the only logical reasons for bringing a car here, would be some nostalgic value, vintage etc.. or you are given the car that is worth enough money to justify the time and spending involved in getting it road legal here. Ferry, fuel, lights/speedo, admin costs... a set of winter tyres, triangle too. Or you plan to return to the UK pretty quickly.

If I was you I would just buy an old car here, you can pick up a wreck for 5-20,000kr it will still have a years test on it, winter tyres etc.. and might easily last you 5months or 5 years... there is a lottery element of course. We've just sold our original car here, a 98 model mazda 323, the thing just kept on going. It didn't go for scrap though, went for 5000kr, new test and decent tyres. It should give another 12mths driving before they need to cross their fingers at test time. Very few cars here get scrapped because they rust, generally they physically wear out, where parts that need replacing start to outweigh the cost of replacing the whole car.
+
Rick Methven
post 11.Jun.2015, 09:47 AM
Post #8

Another facto against importing a RHD car to Sweden is the resale value which is zero. When I sold my RHD 9000 Aero I got 1500kr which was the scrap value. In the UK it would be worth
+
skogsbo
post 11.Jun.2015, 10:43 AM
Post #9

Rick, before coming here I looked in the UK for any under valued LHD cars to try and benefit the other way around, but there was very little.
+
DigitalLove
post 14.Jun.2015, 11:05 PM
Post #10

Just a tip i overheard: if you insure the car in the UK with the normal 90 days max euro cover, just buy a ferry ticket from UK to continent every 90 days and that starts your cover again (as long as you haven't told offically your travel dates).
+
Bsmith
post 15.Jun.2015, 12:08 AM
Post #11

My advice is to not bring a car over. It's not worth the hassle.
+
spord
post 15.Jun.2015, 02:38 PM
Post #12

I imported a motorcycle from the UK. The process was indeed long and bureaucratic, but certainly not impossible and not particularly expensive. The bike didn't require any modification work to make it road legal here, which helped.

I wouldn't bother importing a car though, there are plenty on Blocket.
+
gubbenilådan
post 15.Jun.2015, 04:49 PM
Post #13

Clearly there are a lot of conflicting views regarding the value of bringing a RHD car from the UK to Sweden!!
My own experience after bringing 3 cars is that, one I sold (yes as a RHD Volvo 850) for more money than any dealer would give me in the UK, two I have fully imported and the process was relatively simple and as stated above not too expensive. Both cars were well worth bringing to Sweden in terms of the value. One car I drove here on UK insurance for 1 year before I registered it. Stuart Collins & Co of Swansea will sell you an EU wide policy for 12 months. This was the only company I found in the UK selling such policies, it's underwritten by AXA.
+
Rick Methven
post 17.Jun.2015, 07:53 PM
Post #14

If you have a PN, even if your RHD is UK insured, it is not valid in Sweden. If you have an accident you are not insured and it will be your fault even if the other car drove into you. It is idiots who flount the law that put up the cost of insurance.
+
DuneSunny2
post 18.Jun.2015, 08:39 AM
Post #15

Unless it is a car of great sentimental or economical value, I would not bother. It is easier to just buy a car here, rather than investing all of the money in car that you can then probably not even sell on later.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: