The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Buying British food in Sweden

Possible? If so, Where?

MisterDuck
post 1.Jan.2016, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Ok, I've made a list of some of the foods I typically buy in the Uk - I guess not all are British after all, but basically I was wondering what my chances might be of sourcing any of the following after I move to Sweden (or should I buy 3 years supply and bring with me?!)

Atora shredded suet
Bisto best gravy granules
Beef dripping (eg. Britannia brand) and / or lard
Oxo cubes
Cadburys dairy Milk / Fruit n nut chocolate
Doritos
Coconut cream (solid block, 200g)
Coconut milk powder
Angel delight
Self raising flour
Bread flour (high protein flour)
Lea & Perrins Worcester Sauce
HP sauce
Tahini
Sage and onion stuffing (dried, eg paxo)
Dried Chickpeas and pinto beans
Pataks spice pastes, madras, Kashmiri masala, etc

That's all I can think of. I'm not suggesting I can't live without the above and I realise moving to a new country involves embracing the culture, changing your diet etc, but it would be nice if I can still get a taste of England once in awhile.
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 1.Jan.2016, 03:13 PM
Post #2

Were you the slightest bit observant you would have seen two recent postings from someone offering postal service from Falun of English/British foodstuffs - Swenglish -. Also, there is the already established English Shop. Simply try the index in order to do a little bit of the work yourself. Most of the info you require is available on-line. It just requires a little effort on your part.
+
MisterDuck
post 1.Jan.2016, 03:38 PM
Post #3

Well Hisingen believe it or not some people have more exciting things going on in their life than you, so not all of us are forum hangers reading every post as it appears. A few even save their posts for when they have someone useful to say, rather than wasting bandwidth with "you shouldn't ask that question" nonsense posts.

Hope you get some fun in your life one day... (Switch off the computer now and go explore the outdoors, meet people.. Etc)
+
Hisingen
post 1.Jan.2016, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Yet another lazy bar steward who wants everyone else to do his work for him.

tongue.gif
+
elliha
post 1.Jan.2016, 04:38 PM
Post #5

Dried beans and chickpeas, HP sauce, tahini and high protein flour can be bought in Sweden. The rest I don't know.
+
cherrybubble
post 1.Jan.2016, 04:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (MisterDuck @ 1.Jan.2016, 02:38 PM) *
Ok, I've made a list of some of the foods I typically buy in the Uk - I guess not all are British after all, but basically I was wondering what my chances might be of sour ... (show full quote)

I don't know whether these specific things (and brands) are available there but I shop at The English Shop on the second floor of S
+
Hisingen
post 1.Jan.2016, 05:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (MisterDuck @ 1.Jan.2016, 03:38 PM) *
Well Hisingen believe it or not some people have more exciting things going on in their life than you, so not all of us are forum hangers reading every post as it appears. A f ... (show full quote)

For you information you poor lazy individual, the post about the new shop I mentioned was PAGE 1 and PAGE 2 of the current index of Today's active topics. But of course you were too busy typing your shopping list to even bother to take a look.
But since you mention commuters, I suggest you make a better use of yours, or better still learn how to use it. As to helping you, I cannot see how you can expect help when you are that lazy, but at a guess it all boils down to simple idleness, let others do your work for you.
There are folks on these forums who are willing to help, but mainly help those who make an effort to help themselves. And since you say you are not a 'forum hanger' then how in hades do you ever expect to read any answers, even if folks spend their time doing your work for you?
It doesn't add up..
As to getting a life, I hope that perhaps you will - some day. And learn that you do have to do a little bit yourself in this world.
But then who cares - - - - rolleyes.gif
+
Bsmith
post 2.Jan.2016, 12:26 AM
Post #8

Oh now, Hisingen, this new generation doesn't believe in that work ethic crap anymore.
+
Hisingen
post 2.Jan.2016, 01:41 AM
Post #9

Amen to that - and it is said that one day folks like these will be leading the country. I hesitate to think to where.

One thing puzzles me. Now that there are no more Woolworth's, where do they get their BSc's from - - - wink.gif
+
MisterDuck
post 2.Jan.2016, 11:27 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (elliha @ 1.Jan.2016, 03:38 PM) *
Dried beans and chickpeas, HP sauce, tahini and high protein flour can be bought in Sweden. The rest I don't know.

[quote name='cherrybubble' post='880971' date='1.Jan.2016, 03:39 PM']I don't know whether these specific things (and brands) are available there but I shop at The English Shop on the second floor of S
+
MisterDuck
post 2.Jan.2016, 11:29 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 1.Jan.2016, 11:26 PM) *
Oh now, Hisingen, this new generation doesn't believe in that work ethic crap anymore.

I was wondering where Victor Meldrew had retired to after the TV work dried up.
+
Bsmith
post 2.Jan.2016, 12:45 PM
Post #12

Had to google that one. Thanks for the laugh.
+
yet another brit
post 2.Jan.2016, 02:26 PM
Post #13

"Ethnic" supermarkets also often have some stuff, eg English teas, coconut blocks, the odd spice that you can't get in ICA, as well as pulses, rices etc. Marmite you can occasionally see in ordinary shops.

Curry sauces - you can't get Pataks everywhere, but you can get some of the Sharwoods range in most places. But if you want jalfrezi, balti or vindaloo then you have to go hunting.

Self-raising flour - just add some salt and baking powder to ordinary flour.
+
MisterDuck
post 2.Jan.2016, 02:40 PM
Post #14

Thanks YAB, hopefully with more and more immigrants arriving there's going to be more and more ethnic supermarkets springing up in coming years, covering the Indian, Chinese, Middle eastern, etc food markets. I've seen the other threads now about British corner shop and have checked out their website so it seems the odd mail order delivery of Atora and Bisto won't break the bank (but for beef dripping they want
+
Hisingen
post 2.Jan.2016, 04:01 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (MisterDuck @ 2.Jan.2016, 11:27 AM) *
- - - - - Also good to know there are people on these forums who want to help people who come here looking for info, I was starting to wonder if this site was just a haunt for ... (show full quote)

No, it is not such a site . but one for lazy young BSc's who lack the simple knowledge of using a comuter other than for the social media - and wanting others to do their work for them. As Bsmith said - the younger generation and work simply do not go together. Little whippersnappers still wet behind the ears, hardly out of nappies, and do not know what a hard day's work is yet.

Ho bloody ho. Donald Duck
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: