The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

"Homestyling" prior to sale

Selling my apartment

boomcp
post 15.Feb.2010, 05:11 PM
Post #1

I am selling my apartment, and most of the furniture has been moved already. The estate agent is telling me I should have someone come in and pretty things up with other furniture, fittings etc., as this will make the photos look better. I agree, but she's saying it may cost 15-20kSEK, which seems extortionate for someone to move in some furniture just while pictures are being taken. She also mentioned that it's her friend that could do it for me, which makes me think I can get just as good a service for a lot less. Anyone have any ideas what I should be paying? It's nearly brand new (built in 2008), 3 rooms in Solna.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
post 15.Feb.2010, 05:17 PM
Post #2

that price normally includes rental/moving the styled furniture. i did the styling myself (took some advice from a friend of mine who is an interior decorator from NYC) by borrowing a few pieces from my neighbor and decluttering to a very basic showroom.
+
Rick Methven
post 15.Feb.2010, 05:38 PM
Post #3

This is a rip-off.

The agents tell you 2 different things.

First they say that you need to de-clutter so that buyers can more easily see how there furniture will fit in. We where told to empty book cases etc. Then they said 'Oh it looks bare you need to get it styled. The result was a idiot woman bringing in a load of cheap and nasty bits from IKEA such as white nylon carpets and white curtains that did not fit. It did not get any better price and certainly did not repay the 20K cost.

My advice is tell the agent to get stuffed. I found out that the Agent pocketed 8K out of the 20K I paid
+
Nemesis
post 15.Feb.2010, 05:51 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (boomcp @ 15.Feb.2010, 05:11 PM) *
I am selling my apartment, and most of the furniture has been moved already. The estate agent is telling me I should have someone come in and pretty things up with other furni ... (show full quote)

Professional homestyling in Sverige is never worth the bother, as every Swede seems to want to renovate the moment they move in.

The price you are quoted is a bit on the high side and sounds like someone trying to get there friend some work of an immigrant, who does not know the local market.

Move everything out. Put on some fresh paint and clean it thoroughly. It will at least look bigger and fresher, which in Solna will attract buyers.
+
HALE
post 15.Feb.2010, 08:04 PM
Post #5

Put a free ad up on www.offerta.se and get 6 quotes in your area.
Be specific.
+
Mb 65
post 15.Feb.2010, 09:55 PM
Post #6

Change your agent. that is a disgusting price. just clean everywhere, and make it as bright as you can. i can never understand buyers that can't see a place for what it is, after all they are not buying the place fully furnished.
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 15.Feb.2010, 10:03 PM
Post #7

On the other hand ,selling an empty apartment says "we've already moved and are paying 2 mortgages - so we'll accept any bid because we need to sell quickly".
The prices are high, but it can make a difference of 5-10% on the price (In Swedish).
They should leave the furniture for the viewing though, otherwise it's pretty pointless.
+
boomcp
post 16.Feb.2010, 10:49 AM
Post #8

thanks everyone. I probably won't go for it. Personally, I would prefer to see a clean, empty apartment.
+
post 16.Feb.2010, 10:59 AM
Post #9

if you can even have a few pieces, e.g. a simple table with a few chairs etc. it helps tremendously. people have difficulty measuring size without references. your place will appear much bigger with even just a few pieces.
+
Puffin
post 16.Feb.2010, 11:52 AM
Post #10

I agree with 007 that it helps to have a few pieces in the house to give an idea of how the house looks furnished - some buyers have no imagination and cannot imagine how a place will look with furniture in.

Or worse - a UK lawyer friend told me that when some buyers see an empty place they assume that the sale is because of the 3 Ds death/divorce/debt - and that you are desperate to sell and they can beat you down on the price ...

I have done 2 DIY homedressings and it didn't cost more than around 2000 kr.
- first getting all the furniture out lets you have a really good clean which often helps sell
- second getting the furniture out means the clutter is gone
- don't rent expensive designer furniture - you need very little
- borrow a few pieces from friends with stugas or spare rooms etc or get some stuff from a charity shop - even the most digusting tat looks classy if dressed - for example throw a table cloth (even an ironed white sheet over a junk table and put a couple of china place settings (I got mine for 20kr from a charity shop)/ dress an old sofa with som throw rugs and cushions (if you choose stuff you like you can use it after) - we had an old bed with no matress which I made up using spare bedding.
- dress the bathroom and kitchen with new handtowels and som posh soap which will scent it
-I did spend a few 100 kr on som fresh curtains - although I use them at home so not wasted.
- when the place is sold - keep it, give it back or donate it back to the charity shop biggrin.gif
+
boomcp
post 16.Feb.2010, 12:22 PM
Post #11

Not at all desperate to sell. I am living in the UK and trying to sell now since the market is good, but it will probably be as hot until at least the summer. It's an almost brand new place so it looks clean and spacious anyway. Also, it's in Gamla Filmstaden, which is a very popular area right now. Other estate agents (I met with several before making a choice) told me no need to dress up since these apartments are selling themselves.

As for the article saying 5-10% extra following homestyling, note that it was written by estate agents, and the people interviewed were estate agents, obviously hungry to get their share of that too, so I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
+
Bones
post 16.Feb.2010, 02:36 PM
Post #12

In my experience (buying and selling 5 apartments) homestyling definitely pays off, depending on the residence though. If your place is empty, I would recommend homestyling without doubt. Here's one we use, www.2rum.se some of our places are in the pics too!

Sometimes the conditions are right and you get the right two people bidding against eachother without having to dress the apartment, but why leave these things to chance? 10k is just 2 or 3 bids in the bidding war, which you'll surely get back. Unfortunately it's not quantifiable, but I doubt your agent is trying to force you into it just because it's her "friend".

Best of luck,

Bones
+
boomcp
post 26.Feb.2010, 05:28 PM
Post #13

+
Puffin
post 26.Feb.2010, 11:18 PM
Post #14

????
+
V8farty
post 27.Feb.2010, 06:06 PM
Post #15

Homestyling - now there's a thing.

When looking for a property to buy in Sweden, I spent a lot of time looking at interiors and to be honest most Swedish homes look like my grannies house before she updated in 1981!

It's like IKEA never existed.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: