The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Starting a business in Sweden

Book recommendations and other advice

*Guest*
post 3.Jun.2009, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Hi,

So I've been doing a little research over the last week or so, and I've decided I want to go into business for myself. Does anyone have any book recommendations they can give me in regards to starting a small business in Sweden? They can be in either Swedish or (preferably) English.

I've found a few on this site: http://www.adlibris.com/se/content.aspx?ty...&value=8075 but I wanted to know if anyone had read any of these, or any other books that helped them when they were first starting out.

Also, besides the website http://www.isa.se/ are there any other good resources on the web for someone looking to start a business in Sweden? By the way, I'm looking into an e-commerce site (if that helps).

And one more thing. My current employer mentioned to me that there are many grants available to new business owners, particularly one that gives 50,000 SEK to women starting a new business. Anyone heard of that?
Go to the top of the page
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 3.Jun.2009, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Don't know of any books personally, but if you attend Friday's little gathering, there will be a few of us there who've started businesses, and I'm sure we can share a couple of experiences...

Hardly an atmosphere conducive to this kind of discussion, I know, but I'd be more than happy to spend a few minutes sharing what I've learned, at least.
+
skane refugee
post 3.Jun.2009, 12:32 PM
Post #3

I found 'live and work in Scandinavia' by Andre de Vries useful for an overview ... but (from a quick look at Amazon) it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2002 :-(

Good luck!
+
liveman
post 3.Jun.2009, 12:57 PM
Post #4

I've been running my own IT/Software firm in Sweden since 2000 and an expert in business and e-commerce.

As the global economy continue to worsen and many jobs lost or insecure, starting a new business is the only option.

Unfortunately, not everyone is a business person. Business is about taking risk and not just about soaking up profits as the novices think.

If you are mentally and physically ready to take business risks, then venturing into business will be exciting at this critical time. It gives you freedom and independence and you can work from home and utilise the latest web technology to sell and market your products and services online.

E-commerce is a useful web tool to consider but it does not on its own guarantee sufficient revenue or profits in a short term. Also, your online business must target not only Swedish customers but International clients so I would recommend e-commerce software in English and a dot '.com' domain name.

An attractive e-commerce area people tend to over-look is e-learning. Anyone can legally use e-learning sotware to provide online training in all fields (cooking, painting, gardening, IT/PC, management, secretarial, bookkeeping, D-I-Y, car repairs, consultation, translations, languages etc) without huge investments. Selling hardware products online seems to be declining due to Credit Card frauds and shipping costs, however, online services sales are on the increase.

We have developed several web based software for all purposes including e-commerce, e-learning, e-accounting etc with free training/technical support/installations. We also own a server, host sites and register domain names. The Local members will get 50% discount on our services. (Quote: TL0609).

If you require advise and assistance with your e-commerce projects or business plans, please feel free to contact me.
+
Floridian in Sweden
post 3.Jun.2009, 01:38 PM
Post #5

Try a website named Almi.se. They will help you with everything you need, including financing. They were really helpful with me, until I found out how much I would be taxed. 75%. Give them a call anyway, and see what they can do for you. Good luck.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 3.Jun.2009, 01:48 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Floridian in Sweden @ 3.Jun.2009, 02:38 PM) *
until I found out how much I would be taxed. 75%.

Total myth!

Check it out properly. You're obviously including the additional 25% "moms" (VAT) in your calculation, which is silly.

If you charge, say, 900 kronor per hour, you always say that it's excluding moms... Then you charge moms on top, which goes to the tax office, so it really should enter the equation.
It helps to have an accountant as well - well worth it.
+
*Guest*
post 3.Jun.2009, 02:22 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the replys!

@liveman: Do you have a website you can direct me to that might show previous clients or samples of your work? I'm fairly tech-savvy so I'm not so much worried about the maintenance/design of the website. However I am just starting to look at domain registration/host services, so that may be something I'm interested in.

I plan on targeting Scandinavia and the Baltic Region, with hopes later on to expand into the Russian market—so I'm definitely thinking internationally. I'm also planning on a .com name along with a .se name (to be redirected to the main site). I plan on having an English version and a Swedish version of the website to start, with the idea of providing Danish/Norwegian and possibly Russian later on down the road.

I'm starting out with just the website as I don't have much capital. Hopefully I can use revenue I've generated into investing into a retail location—and possibly starting a retail chain. All of this is going to be mentioned in the business plan I've just started on.

This is going to be a fairly ambitious project, but I'm a pretty ambitious person. Prior to living in Sweden I worked in marketing and public relations for two very large international companies, so I already have a fair amount of experience marketing products, both online and through other media streams.

@Floridian in Sweden: Thanks so much for that site! I'm just starting to read it and it has a lot of really great information.

@Mark: I will try my hardest to be there.
+
RocknRoll
post 3.Jun.2009, 03:11 PM
Post #8

I am also looking to set up a retail business in Northern Sweden (Umea & Skelleftea) ... I do have prior experience in retail & distribution business. Ran a few stores & a successful distribution company in the Baltics until the whole economy started crumbling in mid 2008 (-18% GDP for Q1 of 2009) ohmy.gif
I was lucky to have solf off my interests in the retail business as soon as I got the wind of the coming collapse and never had a huge amount of overheads in WS as well.

Only thing I would suggest to you Grandma Death is that keep your inventory as minimum as possible to start with and the range as wide as possible.
You can convince your suppliers to supply you with samples of the products you want to retail. This way you do not commit to huge stock which if worst comes to worst you might be stuck with.
And you can also give your prospective clients as wide range as possible, because you can never know for sure which goods will sell better o worse and just ordering huge quantities of stuff that you like or you think will sell good is a risk you must definately avoid.

As they say "Hope for the best and plan for the worst". & "No Risk = No Return"
+
liveman
post 3.Jun.2009, 03:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Grandma Death @ 3.Jun.2009, 03:22 PM) *
Thanks for the replys!. @liveman: Do you have a website you can direct me to that might show previous clients or samples of your work?

I've sent infos to you. Check your Inbox in TheLocal.

Hope you will find it useful?
+
*Guest*
post 4.Jun.2009, 09:44 AM
Post #10

Does anyone know if there are any marketing companies in Sweden that provide marketing analysis reports containing demographic data and customer profiling (population, gender, age, employment, disposable income, tendency to shop online, etc etc)? For example, a company similar to Nielsen (but perhaps not as expensive wink.gif ).

Thanks.
+
Aneud
post 4.Jun.2009, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Are you asking because you think including such statistics data will give your business plan more weight? If so then I would advise against investing in reports. I'm sure you're a brilliant researcher, try those key search words in search engines and you'd be surprised what amazing stats you can find with high relevance in forgotten Cached views and previews of expensive reports or of similar business plans. (It's a method I've used in our company marketing in the past and if done right to make sure the data is not BS, it's terribly cost efficient even if it takes a few more man hours to put together.)

Other than that, didn't Sweden use to have a collective statistics website? Statisticsbureau.se or some such. Hold, yup, there we go http://www.ssd.scb.se/databaser/makro/start.asp
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: