The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Court slams sex change forced sterilization clause

The Local
post 14.Mar.2012, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Compulsory sterilization for people undergoing gender reassignment surgery is in breach of the European Convention on Human Rights and the rule should therefore no longer apply, an administrative court in Sweden has ruled.

"I think that it is important for anyone who has been involved in the issue that the legal community has taken a stand and that we receive confirmation that the convention's support for human rights apply in practice," said Kerstin Burman, lawyer at the rights organization Diskrimineringsbyrån, in a statement.

The verdict follows the appeal from a Swede opposing the demand for sterilization from the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) in order to legally change sex from female to male.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
karex
post 14.Mar.2012, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Hurray for them. One small step.
+
Nemesis
post 14.Mar.2012, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Which will be quickly followed by Sweden's first pregnant man.
+
Amber Dawn
post 14.Mar.2012, 05:11 PM
Post #4

I am glad this idiotic practice is shot down, but it leaves a few what-ifs.
Where will this fall within the confines of the reproductive assistance? As of now, only partnered women, either gay or straight, can receive insemination or IVF assistance. There is much talk of assisting single women as well. Will this guy also fight for the right to use the reproductive services since he is able to carry a child? Two men can't seek assistance because it would require the cooperation of a third party. This person is biologically female, so that wouldn't be the case.
+
philster61
post 14.Mar.2012, 07:17 PM
Post #5

Ah yes. The Swedish eugenics program. Had almost forgotten about that...
+
prince T
post 14.Mar.2012, 08:49 PM
Post #6

I cannot believe this is happening
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: