The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Booking Flights to London

Seems like a good time to book

Mib
post 19.Aug.2013, 09:10 PM
Post #1

Just booked 2 adults and 2 children for 6100kr with SAS over the Xmas/New Year period. Did a comparison with Ryanair and they were 1300kr more!! BA was also cheaper than Ryanair. What's going on? Do they really not want families or people with checked-in luggage anymore?

Oh well...cheaper and more convenient for airports. Bizarre but happy all the same. Hope SAS are not going to have finance years only a year after they were bailed out.
Go to the top of the page
+
Willy
post 19.Aug.2013, 09:26 PM
Post #2

I don't see what is so bizarre. Sometimes airline A is cheaper and sometimes airline B. That's how a market works.

Sorry to sound harsh, but if you thought that Ryanair would always be the cheapest, you have completely bought into O'Leary's propaganda. Sadly, you are not alone.
+
AW1
post 19.Aug.2013, 09:32 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Mib @ 19.Aug.2013, 09:10 PM) *
Just booked 2 adults and 2 children for 6100kr with SAS over the Xmas/New Year period. Did a comparison with Ryanair and they were 1300kr more!! BA was also cheaper th ... (show full quote)

What route is that? We have at times found that some of the Ryanair tickets start out expensive, then get lower before finally increasing closer to the date. Something to do with "dynamic pricing".
+
Mib
post 19.Aug.2013, 10:11 PM
Post #4

Skavsta to Stansted was the route with Ryanair.

@Willy... That's why I always compare with the major airlines. When you start adding the baggage fees for 20kg at 631kr, it makes a big difference. Was surprised at the 1300kr difference. Anyway...I was just highlighting the situation...for those who might be going to London over Xmas/New Year.
+
Willy
post 19.Aug.2013, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Good thing you did. It is needed.
+
Hisingen
post 19.Aug.2013, 10:43 PM
Post #6

Ryanair is cheapest if you:-
Don't weigh above 75kg
Don't take any baggage
Print your own ticket - preferably in triplicate,
Don't eat or drink in flight
Don't use the toilet

Preferably bring your own fuel

and in time you will also be asked to bring your own plane - - -

O'Leary sure is a cheapskate, but getting rich at the same time from his so-called cost cutting. Sacked a pilot who spoke out recently, ensures black box recordings get erased, cuts back on the amount of reserve fuel taken on board to the barest minimum - to save weight. Pilots must now fly a bit slower to save fuel. The list is no doubt much longer but this is enough, yet still people want to fly Ryanair.
There's nowt so queer as folk - - -
+
Mib
post 19.Aug.2013, 10:43 PM
Post #7

Last year we booked a bit later than normal and SAS & BA were charging 11 to 13,000 for seats and Ryanair was then the cheapest at 7,600kr. So it's all in the timing as usual and clearing your internet cache. Have no problem with Ryanair...it's just more hassle to get to Skavsta/Västerås and from Stansted to the family home + getting an extra 3kg each for the PG Tips etc is always welcome.
+
Mib
post 19.Aug.2013, 11:20 PM
Post #8

@Hissingen...if a Ryanair plane crashes, regardless of the reason outside terrorism...their business model will suffer and cost them more than they've ever saved. So it's in their interests to not cut corners on safety. Also, while not 100% confident, I would like to think that the authorities keep a close eye on these things. Incidentally, Ryanair have announced that they are suing The UK channel that broadcast the program highlighting alleged safety issues. See http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-sue...tches-programme

For me when flying solo with cabin luggage only, Ryanair out of Stockholm tends to be the cheapest by a big margin. Like them or not, they have forced the big guns to become more competitive...and that benefits every traveller.
+
skogsbo
post 20.Aug.2013, 06:32 AM
Post #9

sas and ryan air simply have a different business model, SAS won't sell many seats at the price you got, whilst Ryan Air will most of them at the price you were quoted. The difference being that SAS have far more back office staff and managers and probably less chance of still being in business in 10 years time.

safety wise, I would be far more worried about the work load of the London air traffic controllers, than anything aircraft related. Most near misses are in the air, or whilst circuiting on the ground. The bit in the air, is the easy and safe bit. Unless they are on a death wish, all the crew, including the still tipsy pilot have a desire for the plane to safely complete it's journey, this does not apply to controllers. Most modern planes are so rigged up with electronic sensors & warnings that practically tell the engineer what to change, check or service daily, they are many times safer engineering wise than 20 years ago.

Ryan Air is just like the UKs Mega or Big Bus alternative to National Express or taking the train. It's cheap but not always the most comfortable or convenient, but it works for people if you understand their system. I do chuckle at the 'admin' fee some attach though. What admin, I print my own pass, I prefill all my passport details, I have no luggage to declare, I've paid electronically, I can simply turn up at the gate, 30/40 mins before departure and they scan my bit of paper once!!

I predict in less than 10 years these airlines will switch to promoting a single all inclusive price as a market tool!!
+
Ivor stephé
post 20.Aug.2013, 09:17 AM
Post #10

Does RyanAir pay any sort of corporation tax ?
+
cartenui
post 20.Aug.2013, 09:22 AM
Post #11

used to study in the uk, i went home to sweden for holidays etc. the price you are paying is still redicilus imo. i used to fly from västerås - stansted for around £60-100 return ticket. just about picking the taxfree days etc.
+
koshka
post 20.Aug.2013, 03:19 PM
Post #12

A few other things worth bearing in mind based on my experiences over the past few years:

1. It's worth checking the price for two singles instead of a return
  2. BA give you 890 Avios per single which equates to almost a free flight for every nine paid for flights (as long as you use them for London to Stockholm and not Stockholm to London)
  3. Having to cancel a non-refundable SAS flight can be relatively inexpensive. I've had to book a different flight for a trip next week. For an £81.60 flight Heathrow-Arlanda I received £41.30 back in taxes and charges

And for those who haven't heard yet, BA are adding a middle of the day flight for the London City - Arlanda route.
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Aug.2013, 03:32 PM
Post #13

I have flown with Ryanair once. never again regardless off the price. Too much stress.

I now fly with Norwegian which is great. Unfortunately this xmas the price is 4000:- for 2, but SAS and BA are a couple of thousand extra
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Aug.2013, 03:37 PM
Post #14

I just checked Ryanair and it would be 800:- more than Norwegian. The price with Norwegian included 3 bags with 20kg and pre booked seats. Ryanair only 2 bags
+
Rick Methven
post 20.Aug.2013, 04:40 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 19.Aug.2013, 11:43 PM) *
Pilots must now fly a bit slower to save fuel.

This is a typical bean counters mistake. The amount of fuel saved by flying Long range cruise instead of Max cruise speed of Mac.82 with the 737-800 saves very little fuel on the short trips that Ryanair typically flies. however, flying at long range does increase the flight time. There are many other costs that are time related that will increase such as engine and airframe overhaul and crew costs. Even at the current average aviation fuel price of around $3 per US gallon, the increase in other hourly costs will be more than the saving in fuel.

Some of my client airlines have experimented with using long range cruise over the years, usually at the behest of the bean counters. All have reverted to flying at max cruise when the facts are put before them.

Ryanair claims the crown as Europe's best on-time airline. Even flying a little slower, and without changing the scheduled flight times, they will still retain that crown as they pad out the fight time. and forget about the taxi in time. If you are unfortunate enough to be on an on-time ( or early) Ryanair flight, your ears are blasted with that horrible trumpeting sound and that annoying paddy yelling "another on time flight by Ryanair", the moment the wheels touch the ground. In fact the flight is only on time if it reaches the stand and the engines are off on or before the scheduled time of arrival.

You can bet on O'leary telling his crews to fly faster very soon when he realises that not only is he not saving any money, but those bolshie pilots are getting paid more because he only pays them for flying time. I bet most Ryanair pilots wish the 737 had a hover mode biggrin.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: