The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Six months in... does it get better?

Regretting moving here

Savage
post 1.May.2017, 08:20 AM
Post #31

Sweden has some of the highest use of Antidepressants in the world, and a reputation for suicide.

And yet is also self portrayed as one of the happiest nations on earth ?

https://web.archive.org/web/20170501071538/...artikel=5710716
Go to the top of the page
+
LLHope
post 1.May.2017, 09:46 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (Savage @ 1.May.2017, 08:20 AM) *
Sweden has some of the highest use of Antidepressants in the world.... And yet is also self portrayed as one of the happiest nations on earth ?

The two are connected ... the antidepressants work well rolleyes.gif
QUOTE (yurodivy @ 24.Apr.2017, 07:49 PM) *
I've been in Sweden for about six months now and have hated almost every day here, and am seriously regretting coming here. Does it really get better?

OP, where was the last place that you were actually happy with your life, and why leave it, what were you really seeking?
+
Cheeseroller
post 1.May.2017, 10:00 AM
Post #33

Other countries in Europe have higher suicide rates than Sweden, including Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belgium, Hungary, Poland. Sweden's rate is marginally higher that the USA rate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...by_suicide_rate

Data on antidepressant use by country:
http://www.businessinsider.com/countries-l...ers-2016-2?IR=T

It was a UN report that ranked Sweden as 10th on the Happiness list, so nothing we can blame Swedish media for:

"The U.N.'s happiness rankings use one data point from a massive survey known as the Gallup World Poll. That data point comes from a question that asks people in more than 150 countries to rate their lives on a scale of zero to 10 -- with zero being the worst possible life and 10 being the best possible life. The latest rankings show Syrians, Burundians and Central Africans rating their lives the worst (about a 3.0) and people in the Nordic countries rating their lives the best (7.5 on average).

While the metric is known as "life satisfaction," there is some disagreement as to whether it should actually be labeled as "happiness." Regardless of what we call the metric, it's important to watch."

The data comes from only 3000 respondents in each of more than 150 countries - so less than 20 samples per country...
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 16.May.2017, 12:37 PM
Post #34

Whoa this thread was dark. Seems to me like the majority of people who move here and end up in Stockholm hates their lives. I live out in the middle of nowhere and it's great. Relaxed atmosphere, close to nature. If you hate your job, why not consider something else, somewhere else? I came here from New Zealand, which in retrospect is a better country in general, but I have very few complaints about Sweden. I've spoken to another New Zealander who has very negative views of Sweden, and he lives in Stockholm.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.May.2017, 01:18 PM
Post #35

The truth of the matter is, happy people rarely post here!!!

That's all it is and all it will be...
+
Bsmith
post 16.May.2017, 03:04 PM
Post #36

I wasn't sad about living in Öland, either. It's absolutely beautiful on that little island. Unfortunately, the job situation isn't so good there.
+
mjennin2
post 17.May.2017, 06:45 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (Mistress_Of_Doom @ 16.May.2017, 12:37 PM) *
I live out in the middle of nowhere and it's great. Relaxed atmosphere, close to nature.

I'm with you on this one smile.gif So much nature and always things to do! Hiking/fishing/swimming/horseback riding/gallivanting/canoeing/biking/gardening/running during the warm months, cross country skiing/snowshoeing/building snow forts and pummeling my sambo as he arrives home from work in the cold months... I don't have a driver's license and essentially live 30 minutes from the train so I don't go anywhere, and I am hardly ever bored! I feel like living outside of the city comes with a fantastic benefit of being able to get close to your neighbors. Country folk are a different breed. My neighbors come over all the time and have fika or we have BBQs or whatnot. Most of them are a million years old and have lived here their whole lives, but my god do they have stories to tell! One of them let me help him deliver a cow calf this year wub.gif

But then again, I suppose it depends on what kind of life / lifestyle one wants to have. I find these things all immensely exciting and fulfilling. I came from Los Angeles so I definitely appreciate the open nature and space to frollick around naked if I so choose ;D
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 17.May.2017, 11:46 AM
Post #38

I'm a simple girl too, and having lived in the city in the past I wouldn't say that there are more things to do there. Maybe just more shops, but who is really that materialistic anyway. Mostly old people live around here too, and I'm quite surprised that everyone can speak English! I don't have a driver's license either and public transport doesn't run very often, but I like that time almost goes a bit slower around here.

I came here with an open mind and found the small towns charming, but maybe others came here expecting to get more out of a fast-paced lifestyle or party-style nightlife. Also another thing that drags people back is when people who are under-qualified but come here seeking better job opportunities, but in reality if you can't find anything good in your own hometown what makes you think Swedes want you to work for them? Especially if your skills aren't in high demand, or your skill level/passion isn't above the rest.

I don't mean to sound like I have a perfect life, but it has been easy for me to live in Sweden happily. The only thing I really miss is authentic Chinese food, and it's not so easy to find in Värmland tongue.gif
+
Bsmith
post 17.May.2017, 11:32 PM
Post #39

Don't be talking it up too much, girls. We don't need a rush of people moving out to the country and spoiling everything!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 18.May.2017, 12:26 AM
Post #40

What is needed here is that some people move out of Sweden...
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 18.May.2017, 01:14 PM
Post #41

Haha oh I see where the hostility comes from then. But really it's not for everyone here. Not everyone likes a quiet lifestyle if they are used to the city.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 18.May.2017, 08:37 PM
Post #42

It's the Swedish way...
+
rajarana
post 9.Aug.2017, 06:32 PM
Post #43

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles OP. Were you able to get help?

Hope you're doing better now.
+
axiom
post 9.Aug.2017, 06:38 PM
Post #44

One would think most people who write here were forced to move to Sweden, or are being kept as slaves or some indentured servants. If it is really that bad, there is always the option to leave and try for somewhere that works better for you or your wife. What quality of life can t ever be fixing your problems with antidepressants etc.
+
choiminzi
post 18.Oct.2017, 09:59 AM
Post #45

QUOTE (yurodivy @ 24.Apr.2017, 08:49 PM) *
Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place, but I'm sure I'm not the first to write something like this... so where could I post this info?:I've been ... (show full quote)

I don't like my job, my home or my neighborhood. And no matter what I do, I'm stuck here for the time being. And I see no other place to go. So these "victories" actually make me even more depressed...
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: