The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

My first "But this is Sweden" moment

You have to be told or else you wouldn't know ...

mikewhite
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Recently I felt a runny cold coming on, it's a real pain trying to get to sleep at night with one of those, so I checked my medical supplies for decongestant - none.

Went to a local pharmacy shop and looked aound the shelves for some Sudafed or similar - nothing.

I asked the staff person behind the counter,"Sudafed ?" - a blank look.

"Decongestant ?" - nope, nothing.

"Phenylephrine ?" - "Ah, you require a doctor's prescription."

"But in the UK you can just buy it in the supermarket !" - "Yes, but this is Sweden !"

"Er, OK ...
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:21 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (mikewhite @ 27.Oct.2010, 10:13 PM) *
Recently I felt a runny cold coming on, it's a real pain trying to get to sleep at night with one of those, so I checked my medical supplies for decongestant - none.Went t ... (show full quote)

If you want simple nasal decongestant you can buy Nezeril or similar which contains oximetazolin (one of the ingredients in Sudafed).
+
Tusker
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:23 PM
Post #3

I know this will sound goofy...but here goes. In my my area the better over the counter selections are at the Q8 petrol station and in the locked cabinet in my local ICA...apparently the Apotek is still refusing to drag itself into the customer orientated arena...Yes, but this is Sweden

Still love it more than anywhere else
+
kaze
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Can you get paracetamol at ica yet?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:27 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (kaze @ 27.Oct.2010, 10:25 PM) *
Can you get paracetamol at ica yet?

yes
+
Tusker
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:37 PM
Post #6

@kaze

Not sure about paracetamol at ICA, if they do I am sure it will only be in small amounts, as paracetamol is even quantity restricted in the UK...but my Q8 has range of sniffles type stuff, like cough medicine, cold tablets(contain some paracetamol?) etc

Not in Sweden again till Christmas, so can't get you a quick answer
+
richardbw
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:46 PM
Post #7

I brought back a supply of pseudoethedrine from the UK, but I have used one of the nasal sprays from Apotek and it worked surprisingly well...

...Still it is a bit patronising to be told you need a prescription for something so mundane.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:49 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Tusker @ 27.Oct.2010, 10:37 PM) *
@kazeNot sure about paracetamol at ICA, if they do I am sure it will only be in small amounts, as paracetamol is even quantity restricted in the UK...but my Q8 has range of sn ... (show full quote)

They sell paracetamol in the form of Alvedon (with paracetamol being the only ingredient) etc.
Anyway, brands like Panodil, Ibumetin, etc, is a better choice since they contain ibuprofen which is less harmful than paracetamol and is anti-inflammatory (NSAID).
+
AmericanGuest
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:52 PM
Post #9

I fondly remember my first "but this is Sweden" moment. I was trying to buy alcohol from system and I used my drivers license from the U.S for ID. The woman looked at it, and was like this is not acceptable Swedish identification. I told her that's because I'm not Swedish and she gave me the "but this is Sweden." I'm sure she meant that it was not an approved way to identify myself, but still, it provided a slightly humorous anecdote.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:52 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (richardbw @ 27.Oct.2010, 10:46 PM) *
I brought back a supply of pseudoethedrine from the UK, but I have used one of the nasal sprays from Apotek and it worked surprisingly well......Still it is a bit patronising ... (show full quote)

Medical regulation is quite random. Things that are mundane in Sweden may not be it in the UK and vice versa.
Try getting contact lenses in the US and you quickly realize how crazy local regulation can be...
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:54 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (AmericanGuest @ 27.Oct.2010, 10:52 PM) *
I fondly remember my first "but this is Sweden" moment. I was trying to buy alcohol from system and I used my drivers license from the U.S for ID. The women looked a ... (show full quote)

A Swedish driver's license is not a valid ID to buy tobacco and alcohol in many states in the US either, which I was politely reminded several times. Only passport will do. However, renting a car only required my Swedish license.
+
AmericanGuest
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:58 PM
Post #12

My old NJ Driver's license wasnt valid ID for me in MA several years ago. It was back when the NJ license could easily be faked. Some places in Boston would demand a passport for out-of-staters. I just didnt like having to bring my passport with me to get booze, but I understood Sweden not accepting the DL.

However, i think i was more annoyed that I couldnt get a Swedish ID because my American Passport was not as valid as a European Passport at the Tax office, despite the fact my passport was good enough to get me a PN.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:59 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (AmericanGuest @ 27.Oct.2010, 10:58 PM) *
However, i think i was more annoyed that I couldnt get a Swedish ID because my American Passport was not as valid as a European Passport at the Tax office, despite the fact my ... (show full quote)

Yes, that is clearly insane.
+
AussieSweden
post 27.Oct.2010, 10:59 PM
Post #14

Just as a side note when I tried to fill my ventolin prescription from Australia, they said that they didnt accept Australian prescriptions as being acceptable so I had to ration my puffer...which tends not to be great. You don't even need a prescription in Australia for ventolin as it is considered life saving... *sigh* but I dont want to think of what could have happened if I had had a serious asthma attack.
+
mjennin2
post 27.Oct.2010, 11:06 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 27.Oct.2010, 09:52 PM) *
Medical regulation is quite random. Things that are mundane in Sweden may not be it in the UK and vice versa.Try getting contact lenses in the US and you quickly realize how c ... (show full quote)

??? You need a prescription for them in the states...what, you can by them on the street in Europe? UUUUUGH that would make my life so much more convenient! *Jealous*

However...I don't see how people could obtain contacts without seeing a doctor annually to know what their prescription is. After all, getting contacts that are too strong or too weak are bad for your eyesight, no? How is it in the UK/EU?
+

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: