The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

baby stroller deals?

Swindu
post 20.Mar.2007, 07:41 AM
Post #1

is there such a thing?

we are in the market for a new baby stroller (soon) and find that all the prices of new are about 7000SEK (ouch!) and were wondering if anyone knew of any type of factory wearhouse or the like that might sell last years models for cheaper or 'bad colors' for cheaper? we looked on tradera and found some 'unknown' brands and weren't too excited.

thanks for any help in this world of expensive baby stuff!
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 20.Mar.2007, 07:58 AM
Post #2

It is worth shopping around as it can vary quite a bit in prices.

How do you feel about second hand? Some people sell off all their stuff after just a few month's use? (check out local/national papers and blocket etc)
+
post 20.Mar.2007, 08:07 AM
Post #3

swindu, a few questions:
are you in stockholm?
how important is "new"?

even the two big brands have simpler/smaller models that cost from 3-4 thousand which i've found both great quality and perfectly comfortable...more convenient if nothing else.

the big baby chains are such crap when offering alternatives. their attitude is "we'll sell you one for 7000+, wheels are extra and you ought to thank us for it."

personally, i've been very happy with the used market and now almost 3 years down the line i'm very happy i didn't splash out 6-10 thousand on a baby buggy.
+
Swindu
post 20.Mar.2007, 08:11 AM
Post #4

i guess this being our first baby we're a bit wary on 2nd hand...but of course sometimes i know people sell of ones they just don't like and maybe (luckily) got as gifts. if i were back home in the states i'd be having a baby shower where i'd get all this crap..but sadly no one is willing to send us a stroller...plus we'd like to see the stroller first hand before buying.

i agree that the chains are just yanking at the 'unknown shoppers' pocket with all their bells and whistles...just thought that maybe 2006 models that didnt sell would have some sort of final resting place we could benefit from.

i'll check out blocket...i forgot abt that site. thanks!!!!

till then i guess i need to be happy that all our medical care is free and that there is a balance somewhere. smile.gif
+
Puffin
post 20.Mar.2007, 08:23 AM
Post #5

One other thing is to consider what your lifestyle is and how much you are likely to use all the components of the stroller.

Some people buy Liggvagn (traditional lying down pram) and then a sittvavagn (sitting pram although can also be put down flat for sleeping). But often the only people who got their money's worth from the liggvagn were those who walked everywhere as they a hell to get in the car.

These days most people opt for combivagn where you get a chassis and then a lying down part for the first months, then a sitting down attachment (like a sittvagn) and sometimes a clip on carseat - but again you need to consider how much you are going to use each part.

I saved a lot of money by skipping the ligg/combivagn altogether and buying a sittvagn - the baby shop had some soft lift-out carrycots that fitted exactly inside and the whole thing worked out at half the price of a combivagn. My daughter slept hapily in the carrycot for 4-5 months until she out grew it and after than I got a themoinsulated sleeping bag (åkpåse) that fitted inside the pram and she slept in this till the age of 3. Some friends who bought the whole combivagn thing found that the very heavy lying down carrycot attachment was only used for a couple of months.

Depending on where you live consider wheel size! 8-10 inches to manage winter snow without getting stuck.

If you intend to do a lot of travelling (especially by air) you may need also need a lightweight folding stroller at some stage as the heavier Swedish sort - although necessary for Swedish lifestyle and winters - are hard to fit in the car/cope with on holidays.
+
post 20.Mar.2007, 08:25 AM
Post #6

there are some other brands, finnish or german. one place called Baby Center at hornstull sells a finish brand.

a place on norrtullsgatan sells a german brand.

names are escaping me at the moment, but quality wise on par.

emmaljunga and brio don't have stock, so they don't bother to sell at reduced prices. that's why they make you pay 50% up front and tell you it'll take them 12 weeks to get you your order.

i have seen the simpler versions i'm talking about on sale occasionally, but as spring/summer is baby-production peak times, you won't find anything on sale until late fall.

the strollers in the US wouldn't cut it for winter needs here. the sturdier kinds cost a bundle there too--though some of the other brands, chariot and the austrailian one are somewhat cheaper.

you could consider buying a used "liggvagn" here for the first 3-5 months and when you're back in the US buy one there and bring it back.

mumsinsweden.com are a great resource for additional thoughts and suggestions
+
Swindu
post 20.Mar.2007, 12:19 PM
Post #7

muchos gracias fellow local-ers for the great input!!!!!

ligg..sitt..dance.. biggrin.gif
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 20.Mar.2007, 12:29 PM
Post #8

Could Í beg that when you do get one, you (almost uniquely, it would seem) retain some vestiges of consideration for the rest of the population and refrain from parking it in front of doorways or using it as a weapon to clear a path around you? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
+
*TomP*
post 20.Mar.2007, 12:31 PM
Post #9

We found a great shop just north of Stockholm and picked up a perfectly good stroller for much less than the big fashionable brands go for.

It does all the stuff described above and has kept the little fella warm and comfy throughout the winter. Now he's sitting up and soon we'll be able to flip it round so he can see where he's going.

Their web site is here:

http://eurobabywebshop.e-butiken.se/

I would caution against paying extra for inflatable tyres. At least two of our friends have had punctures on long walks - and then it doesn't seem like such a good idea.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 20.Mar.2007, 12:31 PM
Post #10

Any takers?...Mary?!

[img]http://photo.ringo.com/193/193263539RL795367462.jpg[/img]
+
Swindu
post 20.Mar.2007, 02:56 PM
Post #11

thanks TomP.

and i will not park it in front of doorways as requested by someone who is admittedly annoyed with the whole stroller deal-io.
+
*Mary, With The Shaved Hea*
post 21.Mar.2007, 07:35 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Mutley @ A Happy Hellbound Hound)
Any takers?...Mary?!

[img]http://photo.ringo.com/193/193263539RL795367462.jpg[/img]

I have actually considered this BUT Joakim was so against it when I suggested it.

He rushed out and bought our car instead!

'Bastard'

:wink:
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 21.Mar.2007, 09:35 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Starlight Princess)
I have actually considered this BUT Joakim was so against it when I suggested it.

He rushed out and bought our car instead!

'Bastard'

:wink:

In these troubled times can you do enough to ensure the safety of your animals? :wink:
+
*Paulo's Hilton Not Blond*
post 21.Mar.2007, 10:01 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Mutley @ A Happy Hellbound Hound)
In these troubled times can you do enough to ensure the safety of your animals? :wink:

Pets are humans' best friends --- just be careful with your best friends [humans]. :wink:

This dog looks soooo gayish, doesnt it? well, a friend of mine used to have one like him, not a poodle, but a poor hound, so everytime the other "boys" came up he instinctively asked for a "dogback" riding.

The vet said he got this behavior from the environment, a kind of choosing to turn into it.
+
Puffin
post 21.Mar.2007, 10:28 AM
Post #15

Reminds me of when my daughter used to dress that cat up in a baby bonnet and take her for walks in the dolly pram/ dolly car seat - funny though the cat never ran away laugh.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: