The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

SA's child rape shame

*Littlefair*
post 3.Apr.2006, 07:20 PM
Post #16

I was about to post something similiar it seems the phrase even roaches have kids applies here 2. Some people should not be allowed to breed. The mother of this child should have kept it safe from harm not deserted it she deserves the same fate as the abusers. I cannot abide people who would leave a defenceless child alone.
Go to the top of the page
+
Julie Ryman
post 3.Apr.2006, 07:25 PM
Post #17

Yes, the same punishment for her! This is terrible.
+
FR
post 3.Apr.2006, 09:09 PM
Post #18

Raping babies is commonplace in South Africa. It doesn't matter if the mother was watching the child or not. The standard of living for people there is horrendous. Unless you've seen it, you wouldn't believe it. Running water and electricity... forget it.

The president of SA has some blame too. He will not allow western AIDS medicines into the country, so the only alternative is this rape thing, which they believe will cure them.

60+ children raped per day. Something to think about.
+
Julie Ryman
post 3.Apr.2006, 09:13 PM
Post #19

So, this sort of thing happens in front of the mother/parents? I didn't realize it to be this bad, and I haven't been there(and don't think I desire to)!WOW!
+
FR
post 3.Apr.2006, 09:19 PM
Post #20

Very often, the baby is stolen or the parents are held by the rest of the group. It is usually gang rape. Unlike other rapes, the men holding the would-be-helpers of the child, feel that they're helping their buddy. Again, having sex with a virgin is considered a cure for AIDS.

One 9-year-old who was raped took her rapist to court. The man was let go because the 9-year-old was not a virgin. She was not a virgin because she had been raped before.

I notice that the mother you condemn for not protecting her child was only about 16 herself. It is quite likely that the baby was a result of rape too, given the high rape rate. I don't know in this specific instance, but I wouldn't be too quick to judge anyone other than the rapist.
+
Julie Ryman
post 3.Apr.2006, 09:29 PM
Post #21

This is very depressing, and it only makes me thankful for what I have. I can't imagine being held and watching MY child go through this, or having my child stolen from me. I am not trying to judge anyone, it's just that, sadly, we don't know what happens in EVERY case, and even more sadly, people sell their children out every day, especially in desperate places/times. I'm curious as to know what they think, when, after they have committed this terrible thing, they are not cured?
+
Julie Ryman
post 3.Apr.2006, 09:32 PM
Post #22

By the way, the article says the girl(mother) left the child with a friend. So, who knows if the mother has any fault at all.
+
FR
post 3.Apr.2006, 09:35 PM
Post #23

I looked it up. The mother left the child with her friend. The friend's boyfriend raped the baby.

Although the indicence of this is high in SA, it is not limited to there. Check out these two characters who raped a 12-week old baby.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bu...rts/4848802.stm
+
Julie Ryman
post 3.Apr.2006, 09:45 PM
Post #24

Sick! Yes, it happens everywhere, I just never realized it to be so bad in SA. I've heard of such things from time to time. And though I don't know how it usually is in SA(although it sounds to be the opposite), the stories I usually hear involve the mother and/or father being extremely irresponsible,leaving the child with people I wouldn't leave my dog with, selling their child out...
+
Julie Ryman
post 3.Apr.2006, 10:08 PM
Post #25

I did some reading on this, and found an interesting article. It appears a Dr. Rachel Jewkes believes that this whole thing about the child raping being motivated by a belief that it will cure HIV is a total myth. She claims that only one case was found for this to be true, in which a mother allowed an HIV positive man to rape her 4 year old IN EXCHANGE FOR CASH. And it doesn't really add up, why aren't all these people realizing that they STILL have HIV??????????? From what I understand, a sixteen yr. old mom(I believe the one from above) left her child unattended(or maybe the friend did), and in another case, a 1 month old was left with her uncles who raped her. 83% of perpetrators are known to their victims.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 4.Apr.2006, 02:23 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (Julie Ryman)
I did some reading on this, and found an interesting article. It appears a Dr. Rachel Jewkes believes that this whole thing about the child raping being motivated by a belief that it will cure HIV is a total myth.

Out of curiousity, what is her explanation for it?
+
Julie Ryman
post 4.Apr.2006, 12:51 PM
Post #27

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/april/rape.htm

Here is the link, check it out if you get the chance://http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/20...get the chance.
+
Julie Ryman
post 4.Apr.2006, 12:52 PM
Post #28

www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/april/rape.htm
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: