The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Texas Morality Police Arresting Last Call Customers

Faithless
post 16.Apr.2006, 02:06 PM
Post #1

DALLAS -- The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has temporarily suspended a program used to haul suspected drunks from bars to jail cells after an outcry from politicians, business owners and patrons.
The commission said its crackdown on public intoxication, known as "Operation Last Call," had been halted -- at least until after a public meeting tomorrow with state legislators in Austin.
"We understand that everything has room for improvement, this included," TABC spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said.
The complaints began last month when the TABC began entering restaurants and bars and arresting customers whom agents deemed to be intoxicated. The commission said its goal was to cut down on the burgeoning death rate from drunken drivers.
Several politicians said they received complaints, not only from those who had been arrested, but from bar owners and tourism promoters who claimed the "raids" had begun to hurt their businesses.
The largest "Operation Last Call" raid was in suburban Irving in late March, when about 30 people were arrested in 36 bars.
Mrs. Beck said most of those arrested in the sting operations were "dangerously drunk" and might have tried to drive had they not be apprehended.
"Going to a bar is not an opportunity to go get drunk," TABC Capt. David Alexander said.
At least two of those arrested in Irving complained that they were not intoxicated and that they had no access to vehicles. Both were guests at a motel, several yards from the bar.
Despite the complaints, Mrs. Beck maintained that the commission had opted to put the program on hold "just to give us time to sift through all the information we've received and put together this information and determine the best way to proceed."
TABC officials informed state Rep. Kino Flores, chairman of the House Licensing and Administrative Procedures Committee, last week that the agency would be reviewing its procedures and would appear before Mr. Flores' committee this week.
The Austin hearing also will include members of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee, Mrs. Beck said

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20060415-105438-9747r.htm
-----------------------------------------------
Go to the top of the page
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 16.Apr.2006, 03:38 PM
Post #2

It's been longstanding tradition to just wait in the parking lot and arrest them as they get into their cars (at least in college towns in NY). At least then you get the ones that are actually planning on driving. Talk about just wasting tax dollars...
+
Edwardsson
post 16.Apr.2006, 10:23 PM
Post #3

When convicted they should lose the car they were driving. The car should be sold at public auction. I could not care less what financial hardships that would cause for any potential drunk killer.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 16.Apr.2006, 10:45 PM
Post #4

The point is, they were arresting people who were still in the bar, not even in the parking lot, much less a car.
+
Faithless
post 17.Apr.2006, 01:05 AM
Post #5

Indeed.
Having owned or run several different clubs in Sthlm through the years, I would be incensed if the police made a habit of visiting the bar to look for people to arrest.
Livid at the arrogance, livid at the intrusion and livid at the damage to my business that would carry very serious potential to scare would be customers off from my business, something that in particular Texans claim to be the most noble endeavour there is.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 17.Apr.2006, 03:17 AM
Post #6

Faithless, that's probably what will make the difference. The best way to put a lid on the morally overzealous is to hit someone in the bottom line.
+
FR
post 17.Apr.2006, 04:24 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Edwardsson)
When convicted they should lose the car they were driving. The car should be sold at public auction. I could not care less what financial hardships that would cause for any potential drunk killer.

Seizure laws in the US (vary by state) allow for the govt to take the property and sell it prior to conviction... the property is confiscated at the time of the arrest. This is done most often in drug cases.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 17.Apr.2006, 10:44 PM
Post #8

I always love the idea of someone being "Designated Decoy"

Someone walks out of the bar about 15 minutes before everyone...stumbling...singing...dropping their keys on the ground...then they wave good bye to everyone..get in the car and start to drive away. Cops stop them...and the person is sober as can be. Blows a 0.00 on the BA - because he has not been drinking - he is the designated decoy wink.gif
+
Edwardsson
post 18.Apr.2006, 07:24 AM
Post #9

Yeah real funny. Do you also find it funny when a drunk driver/murderer kills a child when they crash into her mother's car? I have absolutely no pity for drunk drivers and if a drunk driver ran over one of my kids his lifespan would drop real fast.
+
Eciym
post 18.Apr.2006, 12:02 PM
Post #10

errr, how about not having a parking lot? then you can't drive there. or is that too simple?
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 18.Apr.2006, 12:10 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Edwardsson)
Yeah real funny. Do you also find it funny when a drunk driver/murderer kills a child when they crash into her mother's car? I have absolutely no pity for drunk drivers and if a drunk driver ran over one of my kids his lifespan would drop real fast.

Actually I find it quite hilarious - Darwin at its finest! Why is that mother putting their child at risk by putting them into a car in the first place? Doesnt she know that cars are dangerous? ESPECIALLY with all the drunks on the road! Children should be kept at home in steel cages until they can fend for themselves...

:roll:

No...it is not funny. The designated decoy thing cracks me up because I have been stopped countless times leaving a bar completely sober...and its annoying. I did not make any mistakes in driving...perfectly under control. They stopped me because I was leaving a bar. Thats like stopping a guy leaving a store for shoplifting just because he did not buy anything.

I think drunk drivers who kill someone should be subject to the death penalty - just as a "normal" murderer should.
+
Edwardsson
post 18.Apr.2006, 02:48 PM
Post #12

I think drunk drivers who kill someone should be subject to the death penalty - just as a "normal" murderer should.

Okay, I see your point. Very good. I also agree 100% with the above quote from your post.
+
Beth
post 18.Apr.2006, 02:53 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Jason aka Bladerunner)

"normal murderers" must have premeditated intent to commit murder. sorry, i think people who kill while driving drunk should be tortured for life...but in legalize...it's not comparable.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 18.Apr.2006, 03:15 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Eciym)
errr, how about not having a parking lot? then you can't drive there. or is that too simple?

I think reliable, convenient public transportation would make a much bigger difference, especially in more populated areas. (Bars are often located places where people park on the street or in public lots anyway, or else are attached to restaurants, hotels, etc.)
+
FR
post 18.Apr.2006, 04:14 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Beth)
"normal murderers" must have premeditated intent to commit murder. sorry, i think people who kill while driving drunk should be tortured for life...but in legalize...it's not comparable.

"Normal murderers" come in a few different forms, one of which is "manslaughter" which carries no intent requirement with it, just negligence. Driving drunk is negligent.

CF, reliable transportation? Taxis will give free rides to drunk drivers and that doesn't seem to have helped.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: