The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Texas Morality Police Arresting Last Call Customers

*Cyberfluff*
post 18.Apr.2006, 04:23 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (FR)
"Normal murderers" come in a few different forms, one of which is "manslaughter" which carries no intent requirement with it, just negligence. Driving drunk is negligent.

CF, reliable transportation? Taxis will give free rides to drunk drivers and that doesn't seem to have helped.

And drunk drivers are sometimes convicted of manslaughter.

That's up to the taxi company, btw. As far as I know there is no legislation in place forcing taxi companies to convey drunks for free. While some may choose to, just as some colleges may provide a bus from the campus to a downtown area and back as an effort to reduce drunk driving, it's in no way mandated and is left to the discretion of the private company or institution.
Go to the top of the page
+
FR
post 18.Apr.2006, 04:35 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Cyberfluff)
And drunk drivers are sometimes convicted of manslaughter.

That's up to the taxi company, btw. As far as I know there is no legislation in place forcing taxi companies to convey drunks for free. While some may choose to, just as some colleges may provide a bus from the campus to a downtown area and back as an effort to reduce drunk driving, it's in no way mandated and is left to the discretion of the private company or institution.

There's a drunk driver here who is being tried for having killed someone. The local bishop also killed someone while likely driving drunk, but he hid for a number of days and never had to pay with jail time. He left the scene, leaving the man to die in the street. Nice christian.

I think the taxi thing should not be mandated. There are plenty of options for people who want to go out to drink. Most people choose not to exercise those options for some reason. If we could pinpoint why they do not take the bus, taxi, etc, maybe we could find a solution. I don't think it is bus schedules and such because even in areas where there is plenty of reliable public transportation, there is still a dui problem.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 18.Apr.2006, 04:53 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (FR)
If we could pinpoint why they do not take the bus, taxi, etc, maybe we could find a solution. I don't think it is bus schedules and such because even in areas where there is plenty of reliable public transportation, there is still a dui problem.

The reason they don't make alternate transportation arrangements or else simply not imbibe if they know they will need to drive is quite simply being irresponsible. Until you figure out how to create a responsibility serum, nothing is going to eliminate the problem completely. Not public transportation, not lack of parking, not stiffer penalties.
+
FR
post 18.Apr.2006, 04:59 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Cyberfluff)
The reason they don't make alternate transportation arrangements or else simply not imbibe if they know they will need to drive is quite simply being irresponsible. Until you figure out how to create a responsibility serum, nothing is going to eliminate the problem completely. Not public transportation, not lack of parking, not stiffer penalties.

Hmm... I sense notes of other threads... responsibility being abdicated once again.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 18.Apr.2006, 06:34 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (FR)
Hmm... I sense notes of other threads... responsibility being abdicated once again.

There isn't anything to encourage people to take responsibility. In this instance, the police are being made responsible for curbing drunk driving. The message here is that it's their job to stop it, not our job to drink responsibly. Is that the message they intend to convey? No. But that's the one they are sending, regardless. As Faithless pointed out, he'd be livid at the presumption, the intrusion, etc. The presumed right to intrude and arbitrarily enforce rules as you think best isn't the action of someone that has set the expectation that people will behave responsibly. It's exactly the opposite. And people do have a tendancy to live up or down to expectations.
+
Beth
post 18.Apr.2006, 06:41 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Faithless)
Mrs. Beck said most of those arrested in the sting operations were "dangerously drunk" and might have tried to drive had they not be apprehended.

did they cross reference the existence of a gun permit/license? after all, they might have tried to use the gun in a violent act too. the possibilities are endless to what they might have tried to do had then not been apprehended...have unprotected sex with a teenager, then kill her for not wanting the abortion, or worse...forcing her to have the abortion because they wouldn't want to pay child support :shock:

drunk as a skunk with a car parked outside in no way proves intent to commit a crime...if so, i should have been arrested numerous times (when either i returned the next day to collect the car or had another designated driver to drive MY car home.)
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: