The Local _ International affairs _ United States politics

Posted by: Gjeebes 11.Jan.2019, 06:21 PM

Is this really the POS of the USA? Ooops, POTUS...

And "this"?

Your thoughts?

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 11.Jan.2019, 06:55 PM

He is an embarrassment and takes credit for Obama’s administration getting the economy back in order.

It really sucks that it is president and the figurehead for America.

Posted by: Bsmith 12.Jan.2019, 12:14 PM

He is an embarrassment, that I will grant you. But Obama was a do-nothing president who only divided the country with his socialist rhetoric. I blame him for the knee jerk reaction which led to Trump's election.

Hopefully a candidate will emerge and win the next election. But, judging from the current crop of people who are positioning themselves to run, I am not very hopeful.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 12.Jan.2019, 12:46 PM

He is delivering on his campaign promises, which most "swamp" politicians never do...

He has the guts to do the right thing for America...

And yes he will get a second term...

Like "Big Brother" you will learn to love him... rolleyes.gif

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 13.Jan.2019, 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 12.Jan.2019, 12:14 PM) *

You blame Obama for how other people react?

No president is perfect, nor was Obama the best in history... time will tell and best will always be debatable. I think Obama turned around the economy dropped into recession after the Bush jr admin.

I also believe the president is a lot about the image of a country and I think Obama has a much better and more respectable international reputation. Don’t know when you were in Sweden but how often would you hear, “how could you elect that person as president”

If anything I think it brought out a lot of latent racist feelings and anger, not so much because of his politics but because of his skin color.

I’m fairly young so, historically, I just remember a large amount of political discontent with bush jr. but it was NEVER as raw as it is now... and I think it is due to what I mentioned above and trump has just built on this and flamed it up. Trump pours gasoline on a fire amongst the people he is supposed to be president of... it’s just crazy.

I love the clip of Obama grilling trump after his birth certificate was released. It’s just funny.

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 12.Jan.2019, 12:46 PM) *

He has the guts to do the right thing for America...

And yes he will get a second term...

Like "Big Brother" you will learn to love him... rolleyes.gif

Yea, he’s the record holder for longest govt shutdown in US history because he childishly can’t get what he wants which is money for a wall that he promised Mexico will be paying for.

Totally delivering.

Why not ask your sweetheart trump to buy an island that he and all his followers can have all to their own, where he will be king and you his loyal servants. That sound nice for your big brother wet dream?

You could all build a huge wall around the island... and just do whatever.

Posted by: Bsmith 13.Jan.2019, 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.Jan.2019, 09:30 AM) *
You blame Obama for how other people react?

Totally delivering.

You could all build a huge wall around the island... and just do whatever.

Obama scammed the system to get a free college education, claiming to be Kenyan. Then, when it came time to run for President, suddenly he was a natural born American. That is why he can never release his college records. Sometimes he claimed to be Christian, other times Muslim. A chameleon that changed colors to suit his current needs. That is just indicative of the type of person that he is. He also was a very divisive President who actually made race relations worse instead of unifying the country as he should have. The great hope turned out to be a disappointment.

And, yes, I believe that his divisiveness and smug elitism led people to be so disappointed in the status quo that they over-reacted and elected Trump in the misguided hope that an outsider could turn things around. Perhaps that could happen but, in my opinion, Trump is not the man to do this. He is too busy feeding his own ego.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 13.Jan.2019, 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 13.Jan.2019, 02:14 PM) *

Ehhhhh, I dunno. Obama is gone anyways. You are going off conspiracy theories... there’s also one where it says he claimed to be Indonesian to scam the system.

He did release his birth certificate... which was racist anyways... the only president to ever have that happen to them... meanwhile trump has still yet to release his tax records.

I know we are on the same page against trump. I just can’t believe all the belly aching people did over Obama and then think what trump is doing is ok? Or more when attacking the character.

You are in America now... what has trump really done other than sustain the economic progress Obama set off? Maybe you will feel his “successes” come April 15th? Don’t know for sure but I heard the middle class will be hit hard. As a teacher I assume you are middle class.

Trump is the Swamp Thing, the Creature from the Black Lagoon. How could people be so fooled by one of the people who helped create the swamp we see now.

Yea, I really wonder what kind of candidates will be moving to the top... it’ll be interesting.

Trump feeding his ego...

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 13.Jan.2019, 06:00 PM

TheDonald is doing so well that the only platform the Liberalist/Socialist/Communist Democratic Party can use to be elected is composed of hatred, lies, jealousy and ignorance, they and their supporters are not even as intelligent as Orwell's sheep!!!

America will be great again!!!

Yay!!! Yippee!!! laugh.gif

Posted by: Gjeebes 25.Jan.2019, 05:43 PM

"elected...composed of hatred, lies, jealousy and ignorance, ...his supporters are not even as intelligent as Orwell's sheep"

You're referring to Trumpsty, right?

Roger Stone arrested by the FBI and indicted today...or is that just fake news...Trump is going down, one way or another...you think his spin-doctor can't worm his way out, and put pressure on the train-wreck that is Trumpsty Dumpsty?

I can't wait to see the "billionaire" scumbag wearing the traditional orange jumpsuit (and I'm not really the lefty liberal nutter type)!

Has ever there been an ego, such as Trumpsty's, so toxic to its host?

Posted by: Bsmith 25.Jan.2019, 06:25 PM

I hear that the Trump economy is going so well, even Obama is thinking about applying for citizenship!

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 25.Jan.2019, 08:27 PM

What he said!!!

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 26.Jan.2019, 10:31 AM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 25.Jan.2019, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 25.Jan.2019, 08:27 PM) *
What he said!!!

Great example of educated Americans right here.

Patriots.

Posted by: Bsmith 26.Jan.2019, 10:35 AM

I'ts a joke. J O K E, joke.

Great example of a sense of humor, snowflake.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 26.Jan.2019, 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 25.Jan.2019, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 25.Jan.2019, 08:27 PM) *
What he said!!!

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 26.Jan.2019, 10:35 AM) *
I'ts a joke. J O K E, joke.

Great example of a sense of humor, snowflake.

Great example of some educated Americans right here. A teacher nonetheless.

Posted by: Bsmith 26.Jan.2019, 02:43 PM

Great example of a bigot who can't stand someone having an opinion that differs from "his royal highness".

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 26.Jan.2019, 02:52 PM

I think the joke is on those who said he would never be elected, that proves how out of touch with reality Liberals are...

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 26.Jan.2019, 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 26.Jan.2019, 10:35 AM) *
I'ts a joke. J O K E, joke.

Great example of a sense of humor, snowflake.

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 26.Jan.2019, 02:43 PM) *

Oh now they are your opinions... I thought it was a joke.

Figures that the ground you stand on is so shaky.

Funny when you are confronted by someone who disagrees with you that you can’t stand their opinion to the point of trying to shut them down.

I can tolerate your dumb opinion, so tolerate mine that says your opinion is bullshit...

You bigot

Posted by: Bsmith 26.Jan.2019, 05:42 PM

You littleit.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 26.Jan.2019, 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 26.Jan.2019, 05:42 PM) *
You littleit.

Wow. Graduate 2nd grade have we? Should I call you a lesson?

Did the quicksand you stand upon finally swallow you?

Posted by: Bsmith 26.Jan.2019, 07:20 PM

Should I call you a cab?

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 26.Jan.2019, 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 26.Jan.2019, 07:20 PM) *
Should I call you a cab?

?

Oh that’s right... you were swallowed by quicksand.

Are you sad that you have to fight and struggle
to bring logic to your posts? Are you sad that I challenge you? You poor conservatards are so upset when challenged.

That’s a big part of that patriotism you and trump fight for... freedom of speech. I’ll defend your right to be a dumbass, you just gotta accept my right to call you one.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 26.Jan.2019, 09:13 PM

I am absolutely enamored by the peace, amity and tranquility of TheLocal

It's good to know that mankind is peaceful and understanding...

And most of all, kind and considerate... unsure.gif

Posted by: Bsmith 26.Jan.2019, 11:31 PM

Islam is the religion of peace.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 26.Jan.2019, 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 26.Jan.2019, 11:31 PM) *
Islam is the religion of peace.

Aren’t they all?

You losers. That’s your fallback, huh? “Welp, this one got me stumped, guess I’ll just start directing the conversation towards Islam”

Pathetic old white men

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 27.Jan.2019, 12:22 AM

"Pathetic old white men"

A fine thing to say, a perfect demonstration of prejudice towards those that are enjoying their golden years and are of a certain color!!!

The words of true Liberalism at its finest...

Would he call himself a racist or a liberal patriot??? rolleyes.gif

Probably a race traitor...

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 27.Jan.2019, 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 27.Jan.2019, 12:22 AM) *
"Pathetic old white men"

The words of true Liberalism at its finest...

Would he call himself a racist or a liberal patriot??? rolleyes.gif

Probably a race traitor...

I’d have to be white to be a race traitor wouldn’t I?

Hmmm

Does it bug you to be generalized? Does it bug you to have characteristics assigned to your color? Does it bug you that white men are treated like a minority, that their opinions and struggles don’t matter as much.

Does it bug you that while you claim to live in nyc that you are a minority as a white man and that you are surrounded and have been surrounded by immigrants who speak different languages.

Habla espanol?

Posted by: Bsmith 27.Jan.2019, 12:08 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 26.Jan.2019, 11:48 PM) *
Pathetic old white men

Why is your racism better than the racism you oppose? You are a racist and a hypocrite.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 27.Jan.2019, 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 27.Jan.2019, 12:08 PM) *

Because I’m not generalizing a group. I’m basing that statement and directing it solely to you and Gamla.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 27.Jan.2019, 03:21 PM

OMG!!!

I am the victim of selective racism!!! laugh.gif

Posted by: Svedallas 28.Jan.2019, 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 11.Jan.2019, 06:21 PM) *

Is this really the POS of the USA? Ooops, POTUS...

And "this"?

Your thoughts?

I do not care about Trump and his issues.
This is a forum on Sweden.

Plenty of other forums on the internet if you want to discuss that idiot.
But here, I want to discuss Sweden and our set of clowns running the circus of our government.

Posted by: Bsmith 28.Jan.2019, 10:11 PM

Glutton for punishment, eh?

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 2.Feb.2019, 05:36 PM

Winning

Posted by: Gjeebes 2.Feb.2019, 06:26 PM

"This is a forum on Sweden."

Wow, you are most observant.

Except you didn't seem to comprehend that the section posting here is "International affairs".

Since your retarded country has little to no international presence whatsoever, I'd presumed this section was meant for posts for reference to countries, where something is actually happening.

Some of it is quite comical (no Sveddy, Meatballia is just sad), hence the focus on Trumpsty and his goons.

You do realise, don't you (?), that while all you Meatballs are too busy being all caught up with yourselves, wondering how virtuous everyone thinks you are, as you lavish yourselves in your own self-proclaimed "gloriousness", you haven't realised the rest of the world doesn't actually notice.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 2.Feb.2019, 08:00 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 2.Feb.2019, 06:26 PM) *
"This is a forum on Sweden."

Wow, you are most observant.

In case you haven’t realized, both left and right have been focused on Scandinavia for quite some time now.

In fact the world has been looking at Sweden waiting for them to sever arms deals with Saudi Arabia... good thing they still have their deals with UAB who just so happens to supply well, err...

Like many brainwashed puppets, you seem to think the us govt and trump is “important” while Europe is awash in horror

Posted by: Gjeebes 3.Feb.2019, 06:53 AM

And like most muppets, you presume to know what I think.

You have never lived in Meatballia, nor anywhere in the EU, right?

So you are just another know-nothing keyboard-warrior "expert" like Gamla, peddling your fractured, ignorant notions of reality to suit your own fancy.

Except he seems have to finally had his dosages corrected whereas you don't even quite seem to know yet what pills you require.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 3.Feb.2019, 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 3.Feb.2019, 06:53 AM) *
And like most muppets, you presume to know what I think.

You have never lived in Meatballia, nor anywhere in the EU, right?

Hasn’t all that academia taught you that presumptions are based on probability. You were looking for “assume” since that has no basis on probability, rather a wild guess.

Are the notions of reality that there is more going on than Trump in the world troublesome? International affairs would be the international affairs Sweden is involved with. For example their arms dealings that is a hot topic, and will hopefully be ceased come later this month when they meet on it.

Do I or have I ever lived in Europe. Hahahahahahaha. I’ll let you keep guessing on that. The truth would surprise you.

Do you strain as much on the toilet as you do with your words??? Jeez... “don't even quite seem to know yet“

Yet another prime example of a conservatard that doesn’t like peoples opinions, statements, presence, that doesn’t go along with their, obvious, supreme knowledge.

You gathered that from, what, working in 6 countries or something? Can’t you hold a job?

Posted by: Gjeebes 3.Feb.2019, 10:09 AM

"Hasn’t all that academia taught you that presumptions are based on probability."

Presumption has absolutely nothing to do with probability. And probability has absolutely nothing to do with presumption.

You are like a colourblind child, trying to explain the difference between red and blue even though you are incapable of maintaining any understanding of either.

You must find living challenging, frightening, and very confusing.

I'm guessing you have one of those vac lines sitting in the side of your mouth, to catch all the slobber before it starts dripping off your chin?

It was probably your best decision, to remain living with mommy.

Posted by: Bsmith 3.Feb.2019, 11:59 AM

Mommy could use a break.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 3.Feb.2019, 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 3.Feb.2019, 10:09 AM) *

You must find living challenging, frightening, and very confusing.

It was probably your best decision, to remain living with mommy.

Ugh. You are boring. At least with the others we argue about religious tolerance, immigration, racial tolerance, nationalism, politics... all sorts of interesting things. Sure they are inflamed pointless internet arguments but at least they are about something. You have a one track mind, blinders of your own fashioning, and get all pissy when called out on your ignorance.

The difference between assumption and presumption is that one of the suppositions is based on evidence of probability. You figure out which is which.

I’d like to see anyone describe color without using a comparison or subjective emotional attachment. Even one who is color blind could describe it using CMYK but that is technical and wouldn’t be understood clearly. One could say light or dark, describing shade or hue, but that could also be done by one who is colorblind because of their ability to at least recognize the grey scale.

The last three things you say... assumption, assumption, assumption. Quite lame. I expected more from your assumed intellectual, logical, argumentative superiority. It is, however, only an assumption.

Posted by: Gjeebes 3.Feb.2019, 05:49 PM

I'd have to agree, "it" is very, extremely, hopelessly, CHUMBAWAMBA.,

"The voices in my head, gonna get me in the end".

Sound familiar, Say-what-in-the-face? (again, rhetorical, no need to answer)

I knew there were people out there like that, and now I get a sense of how they "function", for lack of a better word.

He does have a boy-band kind of style, if you can call that style.

Don't fret though, Say-what-in-the-face, I'm confident one day you'll find your station.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 3.Feb.2019, 07:01 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 3.Feb.2019, 05:49 PM) *
I'd have to agree, "it" is very, extremely, hopelessly, CHUMBAWAMBA.,

"The voices in my head, gonna get me in the end".

Sound familiar, Say-what-in-the-face? (again, rhetorical, no need to answer)

He does have a boy-band kind of style, if you can call that style.

What a sensitive little boy you are.

Your “moral superiority” is comical

If you don’t like what I say then don’t engage me. You seem to love defending your boyfriends but can never defend the point they are attempting to make. And then you go after my online characters character rather than the point.

Let’s go back to this... you get all hell bent when someone calls you out saying this forum is for Sweden... you complain about Sweden not having news worthy of recognition, but trump you drool over.

I inform you international affairs means Sweden’s international affairs, and that you, like many, focus so intently on trump rather than the slew of issues facing other countries. I also inform you that Scandinavia has been “hot” in the international eye, so your comment on no one cares about Sweden is untrue.

You in childish fashion get upset that someone called out your statements, put some reality into your one gear brain, and you thusly attack... not an issue, but a presumed person.

No wonder you bounce around nations and universities... I presume you get upset when proven wrong and then build it up in your head that it’s “them and their system” that is flawed. Running away from your own ignorance... by all means.

P.s.

If you don’t like it, leave.

Posted by: Bsmith 3.Feb.2019, 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 3.Feb.2019, 06:01 PM) *
If you don’t like it, leave.

I suggest that to all the whiners who constantly complain about Sweden.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 3.Feb.2019, 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 3.Feb.2019, 09:18 PM) *
I suggest that to all the whiners who constantly complain about Sweden.

You are free to do so. I was merely suggesting the thread or engagement with myself.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 3.Feb.2019, 09:53 PM

Amen...

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 3.Feb.2019, 10:27 PM

But speaking of trump...

This will blow your panties off...

I appreciate him recently saying the the us going into Iraq was the biggest mistake we ever made.

Don’t understand how that idiot thinks military involvement in South America, again, won’t be another mistake.

Posted by: Bsmith 4.Feb.2019, 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 3.Feb.2019, 10:27 PM) *

Second biggest. Afghanistan is number 1.

Posted by: Gjeebes 4.Feb.2019, 04:43 AM

Third biggest. Vietnam is number 1.

At least Iraq had oil, and Saddam wriggled off his American leash...Afghanistan, the back-door to China...but Vietnam...stayed commie despite your best efforts.

But probably the biggest mistake in the USA is the utter lack of common, basic education.

I can remember a similar video (see link below) asking Amarycuhns if they supported the war in Iraq (which they did), and when asked to point out Iraq on the world map, no one knew where it was, and one dude even pointed to Australia!

I reckon he'd have been front-line infantry!

Couldn't find that video, but seems like things haven't changed much since the time of DubYah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugJZhL-cbc

Love how cute they are when they point to N.A.

"I think it's up top...I don't know...I can't remember" Bahaha! Noice!

Say-what-in-the-face, yes, I have lived in 6 countries, and travelled to more than 40 others. You would be amazed what's out there. I would encourage you to leave mommy's basement and go check it out.

You might just learn something.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 4.Feb.2019, 04:43 AM) *
Third biggest. Vietnam is number 1.

I reckon he'd have been front-line infantry!

Love how cute they are when they point to N.A.

"I think it's up top...I don't know...I can't remember" Bahaha! Noice!

You might just learn something.

Ha, shows what you know... there aren’t even 40 countries in the world.

I remember the where is Iraq video, maybe done by jimmy Kimmel as well, or another late night host. I vaguely remember it.

“The scariest thing about North Korea is it can be anywhere” hahaha.

It’d be fun to see the same test done to Europeans. And then I’d like to see Europeans point out different states in America. That’d be equally comical.

Vietnam was horrible and we should have just let the French get run out without intervening ourselves. Ken Burns has a great, epic, documentary on Vietnam war... it COULD have been prevented if Truman received ho chi minhs letter asking for support to get the French colonizers to leave and allow them to be free.

In a way the vietnam war set a precedent of disgraceful unnecessary us military intervention. It could be number one mistake in that sense.

I still think Iraq war, gulf war, is biggest mistake because it created a stateless enemy that has spread and spread and we idiotically keep chasing it.

True there are stakes in the middle ease so one could argue there is a purpose. 9/11 is also a good reason for invasion... what a tragedy.
Vietnam’s was a pointless, and unsuccessful attempt to keep communism at bay?

Regardless, it’s respectful of trump to denounce our Iraqi occupation. But let’s see if he invades Venezuela now.

Posted by: Bsmith 4.Feb.2019, 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 4.Feb.2019, 03:43 AM) *
Third biggest. Vietnam is number 1.

I reckon he'd have been front-line infantry!

Love how cute they are when they point to N.A.

"I think it's up top...I don't know...I can't remember" Bahaha! Noice!

You might just learn something.

Yes, how could I forget VietNam? What a waste.

And I also agree that the education system has been dumbed down to the point of nearly being useless. Sooo much time is spent on social issues and discipline problems that very little actual teaching takes place.

Posted by: Gjeebes 4.Feb.2019, 04:18 PM

Ya, I think parenting took a hit with extreme-lefty nutter ideologies, and that has crept into society en masse in the past 20 years or so. Snowflakes anyone?

Being brought up in the world where everyone wins gold, regardless of how they run the race, is a disaster beyond words. It just leads to people who are incapable of accomplishing pretty much anything, yet whom feel entitled, to have everything.

And then it all falls apart in adulthood.

It seems to me that there is a massive failure in preparing certain generations for their lives as "adults", in the name of rainbows and unicorns.

And once everything goes milk and cookies, there's no going back. A slippery slope.

Sweden is probably a world leader in such futility.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 05:57 PM

Snowflakes and helicopter parenting is not a phenomenon isolated to liberals or due to liberals.

There are many reasons... general heightened state of fear in the past 20 years... terror threat color codes, for one example. The speed and access to information... parents are bombarded with “the right way to parent” rather than just figuring it out as it goes along. I would even say as briefly mentioned in this article...

That with costs of childcare being upwards to 1k per month per child, it will get parents involved in a helicopter way... imagine buying an expensive tv, one would be much more sensitive to its potential damage than if it were cheap.

This theory doesn’t hold up when applying it to Sweden. I will give you that liberal ideologies has created many problems with and plain created entitled children in Sweden... but as stated above, I don’t believe snowflakes and helicopter parenting in America has been caused by liberal ideology. I would personally blame conservatives, george w especially, for creating an environment of ominous threats and fear.

A lot about snowflakes is their sensitivity to open dialogue... I find this to be a characteristic of many conservatards as well. Yes, that Uber left sucks, the anarcho communists, but I think other liberals see them the same way.

Bsmith... if you are a teacher, don’t you have a state mandated curriculum to follow, to a point? Is half the year blocked out for talking about feelings? Aren’t there school guidance counselors anymore? Aren’t there detentions, suspensions, expulsions? I don’t know what level you teach/ taught. Can you describe how you think the American school system has run astray... not talking about university level. What have you done as a teacher to correct what you see wrong? There is still the encouragement to never settle for mediocrity, right? I do personally know that probably the biggest problem with elementary schools and jr high is parental interference/ meddling... what are your thoughts.

Posted by: Bsmith 4.Feb.2019, 06:33 PM

I was a middle school and occasionally high school wood shop teacher (slöjd lärare) so, as such, I did not have any state guidelines to follow. I was free to create my own curriculum, design and implement my own projects, maintain my shop as I saw fit, etc. Although much more work, this suited me fine. Also, being the shop teacher, I had a bit of a more free hand with discipline as it directly impacted the students' safety. That being said, I worked in a university town where many of the parents were liberal, democratic, whacko snowflake parents who never taught their children the meaning of the word "no". I also had my share of single moms who basically let their sons dictate to them. Nevertheless, I was very rigid in the areas I felt most important, i.e. safe work habits, pride in workmanship, maintaining a clean work area, etc.

My colleagues were not so lucky and had to teach a set curriculum where they had little input. This is actually a nationwide trend. It has severely degraded the teaching profession in my opinion.

In my 35 year career I found that my better students (behavior wise and academically) almost always came from a set of parents who either ran a farm or a business and taught their children a work ethic or they transferred over from one of the two religious schools in town. Some of my worst students, it pains me to say, came from parents (usually single moms) who were teachers.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Feb.2019, 06:33 PM) *

Thanks for sharing.

It seems to be much more a matter of work ethic being taught, rather than political ideology of a family. I don’t get how liberal whackos don’t teach their kid “no”... a whacko in general, but not necessarily liberal... maybe you can explain your thinking. I understand single mothers and having a difficult time disciplining or cultivating respectful young adults... without a doubt a disadvantage for parent and kid.

I still fail to see how this is a liberal manifestation... snowflakes and helicopter parents.

And maybe not intended but how this is your observation of middle school/ high school students... I wonder what it is with gen x that created these kids...

Snowflakes, to me, are too sensitive to participate in a conversation with someone who holds different political beliefs. They demand their rights, real or not, be upheld before all others. They try to shut down rather than challenge views...

I see this on both sides of the political spectrum.

Posted by: Bsmith 4.Feb.2019, 08:16 PM

That just happened to be the demographics of the school district that I taught in. I have friends who teach in inner city, urban schools and they have an entirely different set of problems. I also have a friend who taught for the DOD at a military facility. She that there were very few discipline problems during her tenure there.

Posted by: Gjeebes 4.Feb.2019, 08:27 PM

"It seems to be much more a matter of work ethic being taught, rather than political ideology of a family"

Are you daft? What do you think is behind the work ethic being taught?

Why do you continue babbling on about concepts you clearly cannot grasp?

Actual work ethic is a "hate-crime". You want to get ahead, by working harder than someone else? Can't have that. Equality of outcome, right? Or should I say, left?

Everyone wins gold (lefty-nutter ideology).

It's not about merits, it's about "equality". If you have merits I don't have, it's inequality, right? And especially if you are "white" and "male"; inequality manifest (you know, so say the gsurya types).

Why have a work ethic when you are being trained to think that working towards something is just feeding the tyrannical patriarchy?

and skipping ahead...[sayblahblah] I know you are, but what am I...blah blah blah, shit pants...

And now the adults talk again...

You will no doubt have a mental breakdown trying to understand what I am talking about, so go look up "equality of opportunity" and "equality of outcome".

It is pretty much the root cause of many of today's nonsensical "progressiveness" (courtesy of leftist ideology).

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:16 PM) *

In your experience would you say that over your 35 years more expectations/ requirements/ pressure has been put on parents, by the schools, to be involved with the kids education?

Of course they should be involved... but to what extent?

My point being that I think more pressure has been put on parents to over manage their kids, over supervise. “Don’t talk to strangers” isn’t a good enough lesson to let kids explore the world freely anymore... within a reasonable age.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:27 PM) *

Are you daft? What do you think is behind the work ethic being taught?

Why do you continue babbling on about concepts you clearly cannot grasp?

Everyone wins gold (lefty-nutter ideology).

And now the adults talk again...

Lol. A true snowflake.

Hjeebes looks up Jordan Peterson once and the above quote ensues.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 4.Feb.2019, 08:53 PM

"the demographics of the school district"

Here in the "Big Apple" I have had conversations with a few teachers, aside from large class sizes there is a language problem, one teacher said she had classes were there were six languages other than English that were spoken as a main language...

Naturally the class slows down to accommodate them at the detriment of those born here and are fluent in English, also a student cannot be left back for poor performance unless the "failure quota" allows, otherwise they just push the kid along to a higher class...

Unofficially there were rumours of test rigging to lower the failure rate and I will deny saying that...

When I was a kid you had to pass all your subjects to be promoted..."No ifs ands or buts"!!! Some were even expelled!!!

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:53 PM) *
"the demographics of the school district"

Is there no such thing as kids repeating a grade anymore?

Is there still the “ps” and “ms” classification of schools in nyc? Point being... those who do achieve more, or test higher than others are placed in better schools... or have the opportunity to. Aren’t there many public schools in nyc where enrollment is based on merit... high school and below? Other point being... regardless of language, those who strive to be at the top and work hard will get recognized for that.

And no doubt it is ridiculous to have any class go at the pace of the slowest. Weakest link breaks the chain. Do high schools not offer honor or ap/ college credit courses anymore?

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:53 PM) *
"the demographics of the school district"

I never heard of schools operating with a failure quota and, AHA, I did look it up Gamla... all I could find were two stories from 2015 in New York... maybe it was an isolated proposal...

Do you have any other information on that?

Posted by: Bsmith 4.Feb.2019, 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 4.Feb.2019, 08:22 PM) *
Is there no such thing as kids repeating a grade anymore?

Very, very rare. Not good for the little slacker's self esteem, ya know.

Posted by: Bsmith 4.Feb.2019, 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 4.Feb.2019, 07:30 PM) *

Of course they should be involved... but to what extent?

Some parents are involved and set high expectations for their children. If there are any problems, these parents are supportive of you as a teacher and want to work with you to make sure the student is achieving to their potential. These are the children who usually succeed in school.

However, more and more you encounter parents who are too busy to be involved. Some are single parents trying to eek out a living or are so immature as to put their kids in the middle of a post divorce hissy-fit war. Many are actually adversarial and blame you, the teacher, for any difficulties the student is having. Many request an Individual Educational Program with modified lessons. These modifications usually involve less homework, less rigorous testing and other preferential treatment. Now, any good teacher will bend over backwards to help a student, but these modifications are mandated by the employer and are part of a teacher's performance review. So, instead of relying on the teacher's good judgement to teach as he or she feels is best for the student, a committee meets and dictates the modifications that you must make for the child. These modifications are, in many cases, detrimental to the student as they allow the student to do less rigorous coursework and still "earn" high marks. These IEPs can follow a student through grade school, high school and even college.

Now imagine for a moment that your work place allows you, because you have "disability", or you are a "minority" or any number of reasons, to work less hours, produce less of whatever your company produces and still earn the same pay that others who are working at full potential (sometimes doing the job of two people). How do you imagine that would affect your desire to overcome any other difficulties in life? How do you think that makes the hard working employees feel?

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 4.Feb.2019, 10:37 PM

An addition to my previous post...One teacher mentioned that the "benchmarks" that was applied to their performance was taken from the Japanese education system... a system that was/is 99.99% composed of native born Japanese children and showed high levels of educational standards across the board...

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 4.Feb.2019, 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Feb.2019, 10:23 PM) *

I asked you to describe how you think the school system has run astray... thank you. Since you are just a wood shop teacher, not demeaning, I don’t expect you to know... but what are examples of what is mandated for the individuals? In what way does that hold back others who aren’t assessed on a rigged curve? If there is a committee that enforces these IEP’s they must be able to tell when a kid is just a slacker...

There were a couple of kids who had developmental disabilities at my old high school who must have had something like this IEP. There were others kids with dev dis. But these kids were in normal and advanced classes, with aides, and they were all valedictorian’s during graduation. No one gave a shit because everyone knows they have a disadvantage. Not to say people with developmental disabilities can’t be successful.

As for dumbasses in school, everyone knows who they are and as entitled as they might be blown up to be, it will bite them in the end.

I completely agree that this can be an incredible detriment to the individual but I can’t believe you think society is trying to go at the pace of the dumbest, to drop to the lowest common denominator, or that this is the plot of democrats and all liberals... I’m sure there are plenty as there are idiot conservatives.

With the work thing, I tend to not think of other peoples salaries and just worry about my own shit. There are slackers everywhere and their demise is typically brought upon themselves. As for the disability hires, how do you feel about veterans or disabled former police officers trying to re enter the work force? Liberalism counts there for conservatives.

If there was some shit like you describe, I would be pissed at the union or employer, not the individual. I would bring my concerns to my employer, ask for a raise... if I deserved it, and quietly look for work elsewhere. I’ve heard of diversity hires but getting paid the same for less work... I’ve never seen that as a law. As I said before there are plenty of healthy able bodied slackers as well.

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 4.Feb.2019, 10:37 PM) *

I say it has more to do with a consistent education model/ system than nationality. The Finnish also have a high ranking system, I believe, and they too have had a consistent approach to education for decades.

This still has nothing to do with nationality or native rate... America changes its system too often.

There are plenty of homogenous countries with shitty schools.

Japan also has a culture of public discipline and shame.

Posted by: Bsmith 5.Feb.2019, 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 4.Feb.2019, 11:37 PM) *

I can tell you that I accomplished more educationally than many of the core teachers I worked with. Kids who couldn't understand math who, once they saw the practical application, learned. Kids who did not see how a good vocabulary and proper grammar could help until they filled out job applications in my class. Kids who never realized the impact of history until we studied the Industrial Revolution and how it impacted society and the environment. Kids who began to understand science and physics as they applied them to the designs of the CO2 cars that they built in my class. And so on.

Because I had no state mandates to follow, because I was not a slave to Common Core Curriculum, I actually got to teach.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 5.Feb.2019, 12:45 AM

You are 100% right!!!

I was lousy in math until I wanted to know what the cubic inch displacement on a Chevy 283 block would be if I increased the bore and stroke, etc...

I learned pretty quick!!!

There are far too many people with degrees and poor job prospects because everybody has a degree...

Vocational education has suffered because these people with degrees look down upon those that work with their hands and are not afraid to get their hands dirty..

If you can plumb, cut wood with expertise,lay bricks and wire a house you have a guarantee of work anywhere and any time, and then you can go in business for yourself...

The future lies in the hands of the Executive Plumber, etc...

Posted by: Gjeebes 5.Feb.2019, 05:20 AM

You say it isn't cultural, then you immediately give examples from totally different cultures! lol!

I've never quite encountered anyone who contradicts himself multiple times, in the same sentence! lol

You do this type of thing consistently in every post! lol Like you are just trying to convince yourself, what side you are really on! So scattered, you are.

It's totally cultural, to the core.

In Finland, teachers are pillars of society. Well-respected. Changes to curriculum take years after careful consideration. Finnish culture, Finnish values drive it.

In Sweden (a vastly different "culture" than Finland), teachers are not respected, hence poorly paid and have become mired down with paperwork administrators used to do and endless meetings meetings and more meetings. Changes to the Swedish curriculum are done quickly, without any research. Let's not forget, the major changes to Swedish schools occurred in the 90's, when those in charge noted that the best performing schools were too focused on "facts" and "knowledge". That's the Swedes. The Swedish culture drives the choices made.

American culture? Money (let's not discuss how it was made) celebrities and war, are the stars of your universe. Education? Not a priority. In the 90's, the last time I looked, the average reading level in the USA: grade 4. What is the reading comprehension level of a grade 4 student? Reader's Digest. I doubt this level has risen since 2000.

Suits USA fine, but wouldn't fly in Japan, or Finland. Yet, you think it has nothing to do with culture. Isn't that a bit arrogant of you? Can't a culture achieve something that another culture can't/hasn't? Are you the open-borders, everyone is the same type of champion? Are we really all the same...oh, please do enlighten us, oh mighty scatterbrain! lol!

It's interesting how you sayblahblahblah defend all things liberal, constantly trying to dust it off at all costs, yet you somehow have realised Sweden's ridiculousness, but fail to connect it to the leftist hell it is.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 5.Feb.2019, 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 5.Feb.2019, 12:14 AM) *

Oh come on. Quit being a snowflake. I said “not demeaning” trying to prevent your interpretation that I was demeaning you. Since y’all are obviously so sensitive. Since you have been so willing before, why not continue the conversation and go back to what we were discussing.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 5.Feb.2019, 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 5.Feb.2019, 05:20 AM) *

It's totally cultural, to the core.

Still all upset that I called bullshit on your claim that liberals created snowflakes and helicopter parenting? It’s ok to be wrong you know.

Such a snowflake you are.

Sushi is part of the Japanese culture... maybe that is what has them high ranking.

Maybe you should check your reading comprehension since the rebuttal had everything to do with “natives” and the amount in a ... not culture.

Cultural homogeneity has nothing to do with success. Nationality has nothing to do with success.
As you also repeat what I put forth, that a consistent system is key. And yes, I believe cultures are not better than one another, rather different.

Does it frighten you when you aren’t able to label and pigeon hole people? You’ve never encountered non partisan independent thought? Go figure, you’ve just been stuck in academia.

You exemplify a great problem in modern politics. The avoidance of bi partisan thinking and/or discussion. “What you can have liberal AND conservative views, you can be liberal and speak against liberal ideology, well I never”

Like trump and his wall. He is so fixed on maintaining a partisan divide that he fails to realize the common ground of flippin border security. But the headline to his bill was a wall so...

I put out some more food for you. I need to go to work now. Don’t piss on the floor!

Posted by: Bsmith 5.Feb.2019, 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 5.Feb.2019, 07:56 AM) *

I couldn't care less about what you think about me. I offered up those examples not to toot my own horn but to illustrate how more effective teaching can be when the teachers are allowed to actually practice their craft and teach...instead of following a script. Also, as GH points out, how valuable a vocational education is. Thanks for raising some great points, GH.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 5.Feb.2019, 05:58 PM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 5.Feb.2019, 01:17 PM) *

Don’t expect you to care, didn’t think you were rooting own horn. But since you admitted not having dealt with IEP’s that is why I prefaced my questions with the “since you are just a wood shop teacher”

So what are examples of what is mandated for the individuals? In what way does that hold back others who aren’t assessed on a rigged curve? If there is a committee that enforces these IEP’s they must be able to tell when a kid is just a slacker and when it is unnecessary? How can a changing curriculum keep a math teacher from teaching math, a history teacher from teaching history? Shouldn’t a good teacher be able to teach regardless of restrictions or mandated parameters? Or is it more test prep that is what holds people back?

I also agree vocational education is great and there is too little exposure/ funding/ respect in public school, most. Especially, as Gamla points out, since there are different types of learners... this is where an IEP could be useful...

Posted by: Gjeebes 5.Feb.2019, 06:16 PM

"And yes, I believe cultures are not better than one another, rather different."

No one gives a flying fuck what you think. No one gives a fuck if you agree with them.

And as you have proven yourself over and over again, to be mentally disabled, as guided by your "extreme presumptive" approach, and a needy, incoherent, scatter-brained energy-vampire, who requires so much help connecting the dots, but whom still can't, you can just fuck off back to sniffing your mommy's dirty undies, and disappear into the ether from whence yee came.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 5.Feb.2019, 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 5.Feb.2019, 06:16 PM) *

Awwww...

Snowflake

U mad?

Posted by: Bsmith 5.Feb.2019, 11:38 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 5.Feb.2019, 05:58 PM) *

Didn't say that I never dealt with IEPs.

Posted by: Saywhatwhat 6.Feb.2019, 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 5.Feb.2019, 11:38 PM) *
Didn't say that I never dealt with IEPs.

Oh ok, you said you didn’t deal with state mandated curriculum... so then how about this... for the sake of dialogue since you have been avoiding these questions...

Posted by: Bsmith 6.Feb.2019, 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 6.Feb.2019, 04:51 AM) *

1. having assignments read to him/her, less homework or different homework, more time to finish homework, class work or tests, less test questions or, in the case of a multiple choice test, less foils, preferential seating, sending him/her to the counselor or nurse if they become agitated or stressed, more bathroom breaks, a classroom aid (who can be wonderful or terrible depending upon the aid), sometimes there are several aids in the class and they sit in the back of the room and gossip...very distracting
2. less focus on the higher achievers, curriculum dumbed down, more classroom interruptions, standards lowered
3. you are required to follow the IEP or you can lose your job
4. you are teaching from a canned program, there is little flexibility to personalize the lesson and make it more interesting. There is little job satisfaction as you don't have any input
5. There is much more emphasis and time taken up testing. Instead of one state test, there are now several. Again, your job performance is evaluated by how well the student's test.