The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Purchasing an apartment

For a non-eu national

kempyyyy
post 16.Oct.2019, 07:47 AM
Post #1

I'm currently on a work permit and I have read that Migrationsverket might reject your extension for some reason, mainly due to employer's mistake.

Now I'm thinking of buying an apartment, but I'm also wondering if say for example, I was able to buy an apartment and then MV rejects my extension in the future.

What happens to your apartment then? Since in that scenario, I need to leave Sweden.

Tack!
Go to the top of the page
+
champaignepapi
post 16.Oct.2019, 09:06 AM
Post #2

You'd need to sell the apartment and move away.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 16.Oct.2019, 09:36 PM
Post #3

Unless you pay in full with money that has gone through the Swedish system in some way, so it is screened, I doubt you could get a place with a temporary work permit.

I don’t know. Try it out and see what happens
+
Essingen55
post 17.Oct.2019, 07:42 AM
Post #4

There is nothing to prevent a non-EU citizen from owning an apartment in Sweden. However, it won't be much use to you if you don't have a work permit here. You can't rent out the property without permission from the Housing Association, for which you need a valid reason. Such valid reasons do not - as far as I know - include the sort of circumstance that you might end up in.
+
champaignepapi
post 17.Oct.2019, 08:06 AM
Post #5

Yeah. Just google "Migrationsverket; Utvisning" and you'll find plenty of articles to read about families who köpte en lägenhet, har integrerat sig, herregud, blivit riktiga svenskar and then faced deportation. I would never buy an apartment here, but if you think it's a smart investment, wait until you get PUT.
+
kempyyyy
post 17.Oct.2019, 11:32 AM
Post #6

Thanks for the answers. Initally, my thoughts about this is just for investment purposes so I'm flirting with the idea.
+
gsurya
post 17.Oct.2019, 01:25 PM
Post #7

I am still waiting for my first visa extension, and already bought an apartment blink.gif

Yes, that was a risk, but I got tempted into it by the bank loan & I fell in love with the place. Fingers crossed.
+
kempyyyy
post 17.Oct.2019, 01:41 PM
Post #8

It's really strange that they allow non permanent residents to buy properties with the risk of being deported.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 17.Oct.2019, 06:21 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (kempyyyy @ 17.Oct.2019, 12:32 PM) *
Thanks for the answers. Initally, my thoughts about this is just for investment purposes so I'm flirting with the idea.

Not sure how much of an investment it will be when you have to pay between 4000kr to 8000kr avgift (service charge) each month which you'll never get back. I also think the housing market has just about topped out and won't be climbing much so you'll be losing thousands each month.
+
gsurya
post 18.Oct.2019, 03:27 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (kempyyyy @ 17.Oct.2019, 01:41 PM) *
It's really strange that they allow non permanent residents to buy properties with the risk of being deported.

What? Many countries even allow non-residents to buy property, and you dont want legal immigrants on a valid work and residence permit to be allowed to?
+
champaignepapi
post 18.Oct.2019, 07:32 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (gsurya @ 18.Oct.2019, 04:27 AM) *
What? Many countries even allow non-residents to buy property, and you dont want legal immigrants on a valid work and residence permit to be allowed to?

But in other countries people don't tend to get deported due to a lack of insurance, four years after the work permit in question was granted. laugh.gif Ofc that work (and residence) permit holders should be allowed to buy a property, but I guess it's at their own risk when it comes to Swedish immigration procedures.

It sounds like you really enjoy living in Sweden, in that case why not? Congrats! biggrin.gif
+
kempyyyy
post 18.Oct.2019, 09:33 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (champaignepapi @ 18.Oct.2019, 02:32 PM) *
But in other countries people don't tend to get deported due to a lack of insurance, four years after the work permit in question was granted. Ofc that work (and residenc ... (show full quote)

This is exactly my point, that's why I said there's a risk of being deported, then the ownership would be not so useful in that sense.
+
champaignepapi
post 18.Oct.2019, 09:49 AM
Post #13

I don't think it'd be useful even if you don't get deported lol. Unless you really want to spend your life here...errrm. It's hard (and not so flexible) to rent out the bostadsrätt.

An acquaintance of mine, from China, is buying an apartment atm for the sole reason of wanting to feel socially accepted at workplace, so that he can also talk about köksrenovering during fika. So if you have a lack of self-esteem...or brain cells, buying an apartment in this craphole can come off handy too.
+
bonviveur
post 18.Oct.2019, 03:35 PM
Post #14

anybody can buy real estate in sweden, no restrictions for where you come from
+
Saywhatwhat
post 18.Oct.2019, 06:28 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 18.Oct.2019, 04:35 PM) *
anybody can buy real estate in sweden, no restrictions for where you come from

The question isn’t about where you come from. Although I’m sure that does make a difference in Sweden.

Regardless, knowing how anal Sweden is in many aspects, they will probably care to know where the money comes from so as to not contribute to money laundering.

Has anyone ever bought property in Sweden with money from a foreign account? Doubt it.

And I echo what others have said... investment buying property in Sweden, ha. There was maybe a small window of opportunity a few years ago but not anymore.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: