The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Non-residents marriage. Time crunch!

Hindersprovning, any suggestions?

blueberry.pancake
post 10.Mar.2013, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Hi all smile.gif

My fiance and I are planning to get married in June. And for a lot of reasons- in Sweden smile.gif
Neither of us is a Swedish citizen/resident.

My question is: is it absolutely necessary to apply for hindersprovning IN PERSON? that would require us to travel to Sweden twice .. We are on a huge time crunch. Thing is, we will be in Sweden for 9 days only, so it probably wouldn't be enough time to get all the documents together..

Can we give someone a power of attorney to have it done for us?
Can we have it done at swedish embassy?

I will be very grateful for any suggestions! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Mo
post 10.Mar.2013, 11:55 AM
Post #2

Hindersprovning - proof that you are eligible to get married
As you are not registered in Sweden you won't be able to get this anyway - it is basically an extract from the population register which says that you are not currently married.
I don't know many countries that have this concept - as they don't have a population register - certainly not available in the UK, many years ago I think I got some sort of letter stating that I wasn't married.
Good luck - bureaucracy in Sweden is not known for it's flexibility or understanding that the whole world is not run along Swedish lines.
If you get stuck it is often best to just re-apply and hope to get another more understanding person. Anyway pretty sure that all of this can be done by correspondence from wherever you are in the world.
+
blueberry.pancake
post 10.Mar.2013, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Thank you! We will give it a try! smile.gif

Ugh, sooo stressed!
+
Hisingen
post 10.Mar.2013, 01:44 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Mo @ 10.Mar.2013, 11:55 AM) *
- - - As you are not registered in Sweden you won't be able to get this anyway - it is basically an extract from the population register which says that you are not curren ... (show full quote)

Agreed, but the point is that he wants to get married in Sweden, and therefore he must do it under Swedish bureaucracy, no matter what. Yes, they are pretty inflexible, but that is the Swede, and you either accept it or go elsewhere. There is little choice.
+
Yorkshireman
post 10.Mar.2013, 01:49 PM
Post #5

You have to provide official documentation that you are able to marry. Sweden recognises that not every country has such records easily available, so what is accepted is an offical document from where you live that states that there is no record of you being married. They may also want proof that you can legally marry, ie. if you are not legally resident in the countries that you are from, you cannot legally marry in Sweden, because you cannot legally marry where you live. It is simple and straight forward, but it takes time to process by Skatteverket.
+
blueberry.pancake
post 10.Mar.2013, 02:06 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 10.Mar.2013, 01:44 PM) *
Agreed, but the point is that he wants to get married in Sweden, and therefore he must do it under Swedish bureaucracy, no matter what. Yes, they are pretty inflexible, but th ... (show full quote)

It is not a matter of not accepting the Swedish laws. I am fine with them investigating whether we are free to marry or not (I am, and so is my fiance wink.gif ). BUT we are trying to find out if there is ANY way of applying for this hindersprovning by mail, e-mail, someone who we give a power of attorney etc.

We have a whole spousal immigration process ahead of us.. (to the U.S. CR1 visa. A complete nightmare!) This is why we are on a time crunch. We want to finally BE TOGETHER.

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 10.Mar.2013, 01:49 PM) *
You have to provide official documentation that you are able to marry. Sweden recognises that not every country has such records easily available, so what is accepted is an of ... (show full quote)

Ok, makes sense. Do you know if we need to file all those IN PERSON?

Also, another question, if I may? After getting this hindersprovning, do we then need to get a marriage license too?

I am completely lost and confused.. I really appreciate your help!!
+
Yorkshireman
post 10.Mar.2013, 02:36 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (blueberry.pancake @ 10.Mar.2013, 02:06 PM) *
Ok, makes sense. Do you know if we need to file all those IN PERSON?. Also, another question, if I may? After getting this hindersprovning, do we then need to get a marriage license too?

The answer tot eh first part, as far as I am aware you both must turn up in person at Skatteverket office.

As for the marriage license, part of the evidence that you must provide is either a license to marry from the country you both live in, or are citizens of ...or... the official document from the authorities of where you live or are citizens of, that gives details of the rules in that country for marriage and the documentation that shows you are both single.

The hindersprov once complete, if ok, you will then get an additional document that gives you permission to marry in Sweden, which must be presented to whomever is doing the ceremony.
+
blueberry.pancake
post 10.Mar.2013, 02:48 PM
Post #8

Ugh, that "must in person" part I really don't like...
Ok, if so, is there a way to have it expedited?! Maybe.. ? smile.gif

Thanks!
+
Yorkshireman
post 10.Mar.2013, 03:41 PM
Post #9

The quick answer is No. Since both of you must turn up to the tax office and provide id, normally passport but if from EU then National ID cards is OK also. That is not something someone else can do for you! They want to make sure You are You wink.gif

Whilst not only having to prove that you are single, if either of you have been married previously or had a registered partnership ...you must also provide official documentation that that has been officially terminated. eg. If previously married, official documentation the the divorce has been finalised.

What you could do is contact the tax office, and ask them ...Assuming the documentation is all good, and everything required is presented, how long does it take for them to give the OK. ie. How long before the ceremony is required by Skatteverket to give the OK, since neither are registered as living in Sweden. You never know, maybe they can expidite quicker smile.gif
+
blueberry.pancake
post 10.Mar.2013, 05:27 PM
Post #10

Thank you!!! smile.gif
+
blueberry.pancake
post 15.Mar.2013, 09:03 AM
Post #11

Hi again smile.gif

Quick question, if I may?

My fiance went to the Swedish Embassy in the U.S. yesterday and was told that we have a bigger chance to get this hindersprov from the TAx Office in Umea.
Can we marry in Stockholm then??

Also, I can't find a phone numer for the Umea Tax Office, only the general skatterverket number. How do we contact them?

Thanks! smile.gif
+
Johno
post 15.Mar.2013, 11:23 AM
Post #12

http://www.skatteverket.se/omskatteverket/...d800029915.html

http://www.skatteverket.se/foretagorganisa...bc80001516.html

http://www.121.nu/onetoone/foretag/skattev...kontoret-i-umea

Google is your friend tongue.gif
+
blueberry.pancake
post 15.Mar.2013, 01:13 PM
Post #13

Thank you smile.gif

Yes, we are good buddies (Google and I ), just not communicating well today, ha! smile.gif
+
blueberry.pancake
post 18.Mar.2013, 12:02 PM
Post #14

Ok, so the problem with the hindersprovning is pretty much solved smile.gif

Now, we came across yet another problem.. According to the City Hall's website, both intygs must be filed 9 days prior to the ceremony. I have already contacted them and they said they need this time to process our documents and deliver them to a registrar, by mail- since registrars don't have their offices there.
I asked wheter there was anything else that could be done, or whether we could deliver the documents to the registrar ourselves. Waiting for a reply now.

They also said it is possible that other municipalities may need less time for this process. I have already sent Järfälla an email with questions regarding this issue.
What other kommunes could I contact? which are the closest to Stockholm?

Would any of you have any suggestions for us??
Please help me out! smile.gif
+
*Briony111*
post 13.Apr.2014, 07:02 AM
Post #15

Hi Blueberry
Did you end up resolving this issue? I have exactly the same issue ahead of me, as Im getting married as a non-resident in late August in the town hall and don't know what to do about the limited timeframe between fronting at the Tax Department in person and finalising documents at the City Hall. Any advice on how you went about it would be great, because at this stage I'm almost tempted to opt out and do the official paperwork in our own country.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: