The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

im wanna be student again

post 29.Apr.2006, 04:01 AM
Post #1
Joined: 23.Apr.2006


I will be moving to Stockholm Sweden in Sep06. I am from Ireland and as such a Eu citizen.

I have BA in Humanities( History and geography) and a Masters degree( European History) and would like to obtain my teaching license. Since i will be coming with very limited Swedish, although i am eager to learn, is there a college in Sweden i can obtain my teaching license in English.

Any help you could offer would be most appreciated. Any direction or feedback. i would like to know deadlines fees etc.

If this is not the correct point of reference please refer me to the appropriate source.

Thanking you in advance. I look forward to hearing from anybody with any knowledge or help

Go to the top of the page
post 29.Apr.2006, 06:45 AM
Post #2

Without being a hundred procent certain, No. You can't study for a Swedish educational qualification in anything other then the language of the land. Makes sense.

You have made an effort with the language and that will pay dividends. Once you come here, jump through all the hurdles and do all the language courses. A graduate, like yourself, should have no problem. The language level required for university studies isn't really that difficult to reach. More a question of time, then anything else.

So you can study to be a teacher here, it just might take a while first.

Is mise,
Go to the top of the page
post 12.May.2006, 02:03 PM
Post #3
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

You have several problems here

You have to have general eligibility for University entrance in Sweden to take a Teacher exam - you need to have the core curiculum subjects at A-level (Gymnasiet) which are Swedish, Maths and English - you can satisfy the Maths and English by having your Irish qualifications translated often they will accepts good passes at GCSE - (you will need to send your schools certificates to VHS and the Uni ones to HSV) however you will still need Svenska B or the Test in Swedish for University Studies (TISUS) to be accepted onto a course. The teaching part of the course is 1½ years if you have a BA or MA

Having Swedish is really essential - how are you going to understand the Teacher training lectures and textbooks if you can't speak Swedish - and there is no real demand for separate English training as most schools require spoken and written Swedish - how would you participate in staff meetings, parent's evening etc. without Swedish? I have even been asked for proof of being able to speak and write Swedish when enployed as a mother tongue English teacher to English speaking kids - very poor hourly pay - and to teach English as evening class - application forms are always in Swedish

Secondly you do not say that you have English as part of your degree from Ireland - usually they require University level studies in the subject you want to teach to get onto a teaching qualification as teaching is a graduate profession - you may be able to request a special testing to demonstrate that your grammar, spelling, use of English, knowledge of English literature etc are equal to an English graduate. or you could take a University course in English and the liklihood is that you could get dispensations from the Swedish language requirement as all teching on English courses is usually in English

I couldn't find out specifically information relating to Ireland - do you have GCSE/GCE/A-levels? If so this link shows the minimum grades

When you arrive you can learn Swedish for free - but realistically you are looking at studying Swedish for between 1 and 3 (many people study for 4 -6 years to get the basic SFI course)years to get into University. Some local authorities have special courses for graduates - you may also during that time be able to pick up temporary work doing evening classes etc. If you are moving to a major city your could approach som International schools - however they usually only Employ fully qualified teachers with experience - but that might have a job as a teaching assistant or temporary teacher for History.

This was probably not what you wanted to hear - but it would be a good idea to start learning Swedish as soon as possible.
Go to the top of the page
post 12.May.2006, 02:34 PM
Post #4
Joined: 25.Apr.2006

Hope you have found your answer, but if not, you should not have a ny problme getting to the University here. BUT As said before many of them require you to reach a ertain level of Swedish to study.
There are course though which are entirely in English.
For some reason though to become a teacher in here you need to learn Swedish as well.
Best advice is to write to the or get in touch with the Swedish embassy in Ireland.
You can also contact some universitities direct like Lund university.
But I would stick to your Irish qualifications they are far better than anything you get here.
BUTcome and study for fun by no menas, many people seem o srudy here for years changing courses all the time as they appear to be very flexible and you can change every half a year.!
Go to the top of the page
post 14.May.2006, 08:00 AM
Post #5
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

Courses in Sweden are modular so they are a bit confusing for someone brought up on the single degree type principle that exists in the UK etc. They often give broad degree titles that involve a lot of choice on specialist subjects - so for example if you are accepted onto a degree in social science you will usually do an introduction term and then you may never see the rest of your "class" again as everyone chooses their specialisms - economics, politics. sociology, economic history etc.

There is also a general tradition of joint degrees with a minimum of 2 subjects so some people study the A (beginner) level in several subjects in order to decide which will be the major/minor subjects. You can also take a degree without ever being accepted onto a degree programme by studying "firstående" - free -standing courses - although it means you have to apply for your place every term - but some people do this in order to decide what subjects they like best. So if you are taking - for example a politics class you will have in the class students from the - Pol Mag degree (a degree in politics economics statistics and law), social science degree, teaching degree, people taking politics as their minor subjects in humanities/law degrees etc and free standing courses

Of course it also helps that in Sweden the courses are free but the government pays study support (grants and loans) for up to 6 years - tight for medicine but gives a lot of scope for Arts and Social science students to take other classes befor applying for a Specific degree - I know someone who studied Gernman up to BA level - then applied to the social science degree and took courses in politics and economics - but then he decided that really he wanted to go into teaching so transfered his previous credits so he only had to take the final 1½ years of teacher training.

There are free standing courses that you can take in English - but it is s requirement for teachers wishing to qualify in Sweden that they maust have Svenska B at A level or similar.

There is also the issue that not all Universities and colleges are the same - although this is officially denied - it can often be easy to get onto a course at some of the smaller colleges "Högskola" but their qualifications are not always highly regarded - som accept "all qualified apllicants" - ie people with even the lowests grade school passes can get in - but their courses are not always so rigourous - whereas the more established Universities are often harder to get into but often have better courses which are held in higher regard by employers.
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: