The Local _ Feedback _ Offensive language

Posted by: Streja 2.Feb.2006, 08:56 PM

Is there any way that we can block insulting words in Swedish, as they are censored in English? I don't understand why it is ok in one language and not in another?
There are two choices:

1. Get rid of the censorship totally by allowing certain words to be used.
2. Allow every word in the English language, as well as Swedish.

Posted by: Littlefair 2.Feb.2006, 08:57 PM

This is so potty mouths like me and streja cant swear in any language
:twisted:

Posted by: Streja 2.Feb.2006, 08:58 PM

LOL

Shhh if you keep quiet you will be able to get deal number 2!

Posted by: Beth 2.Feb.2006, 09:30 PM

isn't it easier to do what was done earlier?

step one: ask author of offensive post to edit
step two: report abuse

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 2.Feb.2006, 11:19 PM

I am not the kid of guy who runs to mommy...
I'll only report threats... Call me what ever you want. It won't bite anyway.. biggrin.gif
I don't think words like pu..y, fuc... are any offensive... And Dick is a name..

Posted by: Rich 2.Feb.2006, 11:22 PM

bunch of tw*ts...

... the missing letter was 'i' of course...

or was it?

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 2.Feb.2006, 11:32 PM

I guess Twåts...

Posted by: Jules 2.Feb.2006, 11:38 PM

People who are offended by use of language, are more than a little out of touch with todays world where expletives are common currency. I' am not in the least offended by words, but rather the sentiment behind them, that said I do try and moderate my language to fit the occasion, especially when I have tea with the F***king Queen laugh.gif

Posted by: Rich 2.Feb.2006, 11:43 PM

an 'infix' is required to agree with you here...

abso-f**king-lutely

Posted by: FR 2.Feb.2006, 11:45 PM

QUOTE (Jules)

Maybe in your world. In my set, they are not used at all.

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 2.Feb.2006, 11:47 PM

QUOTE (FR)
Maybe in your world. In my set, they are not used at all.

I love it when the girls talk dirty... biggrin.gif
Don't you??

Posted by: Jules 2.Feb.2006, 11:50 PM

You must live in pretty rarified company FR, I thought as much chatting with you on other threads, but if you would care to step down to the real world with the majority of Western folk you will find its there everytime you turn on your TV, step out of your door or engage with the masses in whichever way you please. Personally I would prefer a little more Gentility in this world but I deal with facts not illusions.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 3.Feb.2006, 12:17 AM

I don't know. I have honestly found our discussion of Swedish obscenities rather enlightening. Especially since it made me really evaluate my perception of similar words in English. There's a certain eloquence in blunt, visceral language, too. I've always had an appreciation for a well-placed choice use of profanity. (And I'd rather read profanity in any language than fjordman excerpts any day.)

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 12:18 AM

QUOTE (FR)
Maybe in your world. In my set, they are not used at all.

I always said you lived in your own little world

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Jules)

It is quite easy to live without profanity and having to reduce yourself to the level of the lowest common denominator. My circle is filled with well-educated and successful people who don't need to resort to the use of expletives.

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 3.Feb.2006, 12:36 AM

QUOTE (FR)

But some people swear in every sentence they make. Why should they not be allowed to use their native language!?? smile.gif

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 12:37 AM

well FCUK you then F.R some of us like a good ole gosh darn every now and then. :twisted:

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 12:38 AM

QUOTE (Espen)

Yes, and they can feel free to appear on Jerry Springer too. Isn't my language of choice.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 3.Feb.2006, 12:39 AM

QUOTE (FR)

Interesting. I've met some successful, well-educated people that could (verbally) make a sailor blush. There's a difference between knowing when and how to use language and being phobic or irrationally puritan about it.

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 12:43 AM

QUOTE (Melanie)

It's not a matter of being phobic or puritan. It's a matter of having a lexicon large enough to cover all necessities without having to resort to street slang.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 12:45 AM

You will find actually that the higher classes actually swear more than middle and lower class. :twisted:

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 12:48 AM

Now the English royal family... high income, low class. :twisted: :twisted: Of course your perception would be skewed.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 12:52 AM

I dont know we get rid of all our prudes pack them off to America and what do they do try and sensor our bloody swearing.

Oh and look at your own countries leaders b4 you slate my queen.

FR does not approve of... fill in blank with about bloody everything. Now where have I heard that b4. :twisted:

Posted by: Cyberfluff 3.Feb.2006, 01:02 AM

QUOTE (FR)

So what is your opinion on Shakespeare, then? (To use an author whose work pretty much everyone here should be at least peripherally aware of.)

Posted by: Jules 3.Feb.2006, 01:10 AM

Are you implying that I'm neither succesful nor well educated FR? If so on what exactly do you base your suppositions?

As it happens I was brought up in a fairly well to do, though rather nouvaux riche family, by English standards anyway (We can't trace our gentility back further than the domesday book, poor us.), and in my experience it has always been those that are born to it, i.e. the upper classes and the working class who use profanity. It seems that only one section of humanity, namely the now ubiquitous middle class, who strive as much to deny their roots, as try to emulate their peers, that force their bourgouise and irrelevant manners on the rest of us. Whenever I've been at a shoot or, on a hunt the Lords have sworn like troopers, and the beaters have replied in kind. Perhaps its time you shed the mantle of Victoriana and embrace some good old fashioned Angl-Saxon vernacular, or French as we like to call it. Or if that is too much to ask maybe just lighten up and as Melanie proposed, use the right words at the right time.

Posted by: Julie Ryman 3.Feb.2006, 01:11 AM

Oh boy. :evil:

Posted by: Julie Ryman 3.Feb.2006, 01:13 AM

That was not directed at you, Jules.

Posted by: Jules 3.Feb.2006, 01:16 AM

PS FR Its very easy to take the high moral ground, much less so to stick to it. Very easy on a forum where no one can take you to task over your past or future conduct, but I'll bet a shilling that you have a few skeletons in your closet, and I'll bet a Sovereign that you will in future stray from your haughty line. Just wish we could all be there to witness it.

Posted by: Jules 3.Feb.2006, 01:19 AM

Thanks Julie smile.gif

Posted by: Julie Ryman 3.Feb.2006, 01:22 AM

Yes, on a forum everything can be thought out first. I'm curious what one who does not curse says when they drop something on their foot?

Posted by: Jules 3.Feb.2006, 01:30 AM

"ooohhhps, my golly gosh, I seem to have done myself an inadvertant injury, silly me, I really must take more care with these infernal items in future!"

Posted by: Julie Ryman 3.Feb.2006, 01:53 AM

Oh, yeah, that's what I say! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Posted by: Jules 3.Feb.2006, 01:57 AM

:shock: :roll: laugh.gif

Posted by: Jen6 3.Feb.2006, 03:14 AM

QUOTE (FR)

I totally agree, FR. We may be in the minority, but we exist.

Posted by: Julie Ryman 3.Feb.2006, 03:16 AM

I just have to say that cursing or not does not have anything to do with your education, or your financial status, at least from what I've observed.

Posted by: Alice Is Back 3.Feb.2006, 04:07 AM

this is so anglo-saxon with swear words. In Germany people use these words when necessary but people do not get into a tizzy like they do in USA/UK. This is a non-issue like sex in TV which some people can never stop complaining about.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 3.Feb.2006, 04:58 AM

pssst... Aaron... aren't you Anglo-Saxon too?

Seriously, though, the sex on TV thing is weird. I dated a guy who had a kid once, and I was watching something on the DIscovery channel at his house and there were these 2 hedgehogs getting it on, and his 10 year old walked into the room. He grabbed the remote and switched the channel to one of theose TNT/TBS/USA type cable stations where the show in progress involved fishing a murdered person's body out of a river. His explanation? "But those hedgehogs were having sex." Chuck Norris and Steven Segal were like daily viewing fare there too...

Posted by: Markbase With An Invisible Silen 3.Feb.2006, 08:04 AM

May I take this opportunity to say "fuck" here? I mean, if I learn to say it in Italian?

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

Posted by: Markbase With An Invisible Silen 3.Feb.2006, 08:05 AM

Nope, I guess that word is automatically censored. Oh well, it was worth a go...

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

Posted by: Diana E 3.Feb.2006, 08:24 AM

May I make an observation, please? The purpose of this board is-- I think-- for English-speaking adults who live in, or who have ties to, Sweden, to post opinions and observations about current events. As such, by definition we will be exposed to a wide range of opinions and a wiiiiiiide range of vocabularies (and spellling skills, I might add.) Is it possible that we could recognize that there are a number of posters here who exist only to create minicontroversies, that others post only to share sexual innuendos with their favorites, and that any post inevitably ends up with some comparison to how they do it over there (wherever over there is, US, UK, Australia being the favorites.) I really fear that if we start demanding censorship from TL, that we are entering into a realm where most of us would stop posting. That would create a far less enjoyable forum for all of us. While I am sorry that such words hurt some of you when the list was posted, I really think we need to look at the larger picture. I am willing to trade some of my comfort level, that is, I am willing to read your opinions, even if I totally disagree with them, in exchange for the same freedom to post my own. While self-policing doesn't always result in a completly offense-free forum, I would respectfully suggest that it is far better than having an anonymous webmaster at TL pick and choose what we can read here.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 09:39 AM

Yes what she said laugh.gif I agree with that

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 10:08 AM

The idea that people only swear because they lack other words in which to express themselves is both wholly wrong and intellectually lazy. You might as well say that people only eat cheese because they don't have any bread. I personally have a stonking great vocbabulary and yet swear routinely because I like a lot of the words we consider profane in English. Fair enough if people find it offensive, I just think they should toughen up a bit and realise that letters and words don't hurt you.

I find it much more offensive when native English speakers have no comprehension of spelling and grammar, but I can live with it.

Posted by: Rachel F 3.Feb.2006, 10:19 AM

Sometimes the use of profanities can be downright boring and a sorry excuse for a lack of vocabulary.

However, at other times, a fruity expletive can just what's called for.

I really like the Australian term of 'F#ckwit' to describe a person who is, well, exactly that. The perfect word in short, completely lacking flabby verbosity for flabby verbosity's sake.

Posted by: Markbase With An Invisible Silen 3.Feb.2006, 11:49 AM

I'm with Humper on this one.
Used effecteively, swearing can be very...ummm...effective.
(I do have a good vocabulary, honest!)
I like "mild" swearing as well, like "p!ss off"...The hissiness works really well. It's a term that really suits the purpose for which its intended, or so I've found.

Mark Base
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

Posted by: Streja 3.Feb.2006, 12:14 PM

You still don´t get it people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Local censors words in English that are offensive but NOT the same ones in Swedish!
So you can say whatever you want about swearwords and all that, but the thing is there is such a thing as the watershed in the UK, when they don´t allow swearwords beore 6pm or something...in Sweden we don´t have that at all! There is no need, maybe in the old days of television here would you get an outcry if someone swore on television, but not now.

My point is that if the words are censored in English, they should be in Swedish too.

By the way, on this matter I agree with FR. In my world we don´t use swearwords in every sentence. Maybe if we drop something on our foot we will shout aouch or sometimes even helvete, but never fitta. The only ones who use those words are immature teens or plain rude morons. I´m a teacher so I should know.

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Streja)

Total bo11ocks. smile.gif

Posted by: David OL 3.Feb.2006, 01:22 PM

Quite funny Streja. You used those exact words yesterday! So, what category does that put you into: immature teen, or plain rude moron?
laugh.gif

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 3.Feb.2006, 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Streja)
You still don´t get it people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But swedes are allowed to use swearwords... That's why they are called Svear!?? :wink:

Posted by: Beth 3.Feb.2006, 01:27 PM

people, it's important to conider that it's the content/message of the language that is or isn't vulgar or profane, not the words you choose to express it.

would you prefer i insult or offend you with delicate. multi-syllabic vocabulary

or complement you with profanity?

i'll take the fcking complement any old day.

streja...what about swedish skit? ok or not to say?

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 3.Feb.2006, 01:36 PM

Skit is a nice describing word...
For all people who wants to learn swedsih, the dirty words are the easiest... ;-)
Words Like: Skithög, ärthjärna, pisshög,fittsvett, skithål, rövsvett and norrbagge I hear everyday., and I don't mind they call me with all these names.
Swedes love me... biggrin.gif

Posted by: Nuname 3.Feb.2006, 03:21 PM

Can I write, "Fu(k off you fu(king pu$$y (unts"? or is that just swearing for swearings sake?

How about, balls, bollocks, twat, bugger, bloody, hell?

What about "go to hell you Devil". Aren't words funny?

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Streja)
You still don´t get it people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from for the last 2 days eh streja? :twisted:

I noticed you have not deleted your offensive post streja so I will take this to mean that you are a tad hypocritical all the time. :twisted:

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Littlefair)

Oh and look at your own countries leaders b4 you slate my queen.

I have no objection to others swearing and am certainly not a fan of censorship. I simply don't associate with people who swear, however. For some reason, it never comes up. I also have never been asked to be a guest on Jerry Springer.

Btw, while I currently live in the USA, I am not American.

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Jules)

I'm implying that the people you associate with are neither successful nor well-educated. I base that on the fact that they have to resort to swearing.

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 04:11 PM

QUOTE (FR)

That's fair enough. I try not to associate with people who'll believe any old crap as long it makes Muslims look bad, so I guess we're quits now.

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Julie Ryman)

Ouch or maybe oof.

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Jen6)
I totally agree, FR. We may be in the minority, but we exist.

I'm glad to know there are others out there and it isn't limited to the people I associate with.

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 04:16 PM

QUOTE (KatieA)

However, at other times, a fruity expletive can just what's called for.

Can you not describe the person without using the swear and only using one word, sans profanity? Challenge for the day.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 04:30 PM

ooooo arent we being condescending and self righteous today :twisted: :twisted:

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 04:35 PM

There's a theory among linguists (no I can't reference it, it's been 10 years since I took the course) that swear words are actually particularly enjoyable to say. Bo11ocks is tremendously satisfying, and highly expressive in a way that "nonsense" or "rubbish" are not. I think Katie hit it on the head - a knuckle-dragging chav who seems to use the F word as a pause for breath tends to sound less intelligent for it, but an eloquent speaker who inserts a well-timed and well-chosen swear word can be very funny and certainly won't come across as badly educated.

Posted by: David OL 3.Feb.2006, 04:37 PM

I like a cunning linguist... :shock: :oops: tongue.gif 8)

Posted by: Markbase With An Invisible Silen 3.Feb.2006, 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Julie Ryman)

It depends on how heavy it is. But I can assure you it's nothing they would allow here.

Mark Base
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

Posted by: Markbase With An Invisible Silen 3.Feb.2006, 04:43 PM

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)

I'm with you, Humpers. Totally agree. Another example, sometimes it works better to say something's "sh1te" rather than "sh1t"...There are certain different nuances, and there are certain situations/circumstances in which having a well-stocked arsenal of apt profanities is simply the bo11ocks.

I think we have a similar way of thinking in many respects (on certain topics anyway).

Mark Base
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 3.Feb.2006, 04:44 PM

In norway a guy can say to a friend:
"Din jævla kødd" = "Your fu(king pri(k"
or
"Forbanna tullkuk"
or
"Møkka mann"
And still they won't be offended...
These words are almost like "I Really Love You"!!!

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 04:50 PM

The Theory of cursing embraces three important aspects of our behaviour. Namely, that we normally operate under three interlocking systems: neurological control, psychological restrains and socio-cultural restrictions.

At the neurological level, cursing can be non-propositional or propositional. The former is an automatic response to pain, surprise, happiness, frustration or some other emotion, coming from the right hemisphere of the brain. The latter is, however, done creatively and often for highly strategic purposes such as dirty joke telling or steamy pillow-talk.
this is because the neurological control, our brain, functions as two interlocking neural systems of control processes: the cerebral cortex regulates both speech production and comprehension, whereas the subcortical system is responsible for the control of emotional reactions.
This is confirmed by the fact that people suffering from neurological disorders, such as the Tourette Syndrome or aphasia, cannot speak but can swear articulately and will do so to express emotions. So although brain-damaged people may lose their ability to construct creative, syntactically governed propositional statements such as swearing in the witness box, they can swear profusely nonetheless when driven by a strong emotion.

This phenomenon is due to the lateralization of the brain, i.e. to the division of labour between the left and right cerebral hemisphere. As we know, verbal reasoning?along with calculation and analytical thinking?reside in the left, while spatial reasoning, musical abilities and visualization in the right hemisphere. Consequently, syntactic and semantic functions, including swearing as in giving oath in the witness box, are rooted in the left, but emotional language, including automatic cursing (e.g. when hitting your head) from the right hemisphere. Hence in case of left-hemisphere brain damage, speakers can swear but only automatically as an emotional reaction coming from the right hemisphere?but they would not be able to repeat the very same swearing if required.

After the neurological factors, such as emotional speech, verbal aggression etc,are the psychological aspects of cursing, dealing with personality, religiosity, sexual anxiety, the sexual lexicon and so on. The social and cultural factors, including speaker power, gender identity, joke telling, verbal duelling, slang, magic, etiquette and law.

Of course, cursing is not necessarily abusive or aggressive. It can be humourous, playful, and creative.People do not use curse words because their mental lexicon is impoverished, but because neurological, psychological and socio-cultural forces compel them to curse.

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 04:54 PM

Good explanation. It also explains why the Jerry Springer crowd not only swears but has a fondness for hitting others and exposing themselves.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 04:56 PM

was it really necessary to quote the whole text to make that point FR?

Posted by: Tuaman 3.Feb.2006, 04:57 PM

FR, you say you simply don't associate with people who swear? Is it because you're a narrow-minded twat!?

Read some Chaucer, learn to swear, then call me something fun... failing that, plug your ears, cover your eyes and go live with obnoxious Americans... oh hang on - you're doing that already :wink:

Posted by: Tuaman 3.Feb.2006, 04:58 PM

that was meant to say narrow-minded tw*t...

Who is taking away my right to swear!!!???

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 04:59 PM

QUOTE (Littlefair)
was it really necessary to quote the whole text to make that point FR?

On threads that move quickly, sometimes it's best to quote. I was too lazy to cut it down.

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Paul S)
FR, you say you simply don't associate with people who swear? Is it because you're a narrow-minded -!?

According to Littlefair's text, it is likely because I associate mostly with left-brain dominant people. There are not a lot of Americans in my circle, however. It has nothing to do with being narrowminded, but simply that none of us are so frustrated with life that we have to swear. Life is good, no swearing necessary.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 05:03 PM

You need to look into some of the things people that use all there brains get up to FR maybe then you wouldnt be so uptight. 8)

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 05:03 PM

QUOTE (FR)

Could you explain that one to me, I fail to see where in the article it discusses the neurologial similarities between swearing and exposing yourself/violence.

People who never swear must be thrilling in bed. Clinical words for copulation are sooooo much more erotic than swear words.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 05:04 PM

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)

Damn VHW I am supposed to be trolling you stop making me agree with you all the bloody time. laugh.gif

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 05:05 PM

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)

"After the neurological factors, such as emotional speech, verbal aggression etc,are the psychological aspects of cursing, dealing with personality, religiosity, sexual anxiety, the sexual lexicon and so on."

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 05:08 PM

So in your world the sexually ANXIOUS take off all there clothes and run around on tv how bizzarre. 8)

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 05:09 PM

Given what they look like, they should be anxious. Logical conclusion.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 05:13 PM

Anxiety is a complex combination of negative emotion that includes fear, apprehension and worry, and is often accompanied by physical sensations such as palpitations, chest pain and/or shortness of breath.

How logically would someone suffering this want to strip naked and run around on tv?

Posted by: The Teenage Diplomat 3.Feb.2006, 05:14 PM

heavy meds?

Posted by: FR 3.Feb.2006, 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Littlefair)

How logically would anyone want to strip naked and run around on tv Jerry-Springer-style, cursing all the way?

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 05:19 PM

Err... I have heard of Backpeddling. If you were wrong then say it damn you VHW was right nothing of the sort was said, dont change the subject say I WAS WRONG or I MISSREAD dont just think you can ignore it and everyone will forget.

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 05:22 PM

Mmmm nope still not with you. Noting that there are psychological aspects to swearing including the possibility of sexual anxiety does not mean that people who swear also have a propensity for violence and self-exposure. You might want to read it again, slowly.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 05:24 PM

You really are going to make it difficult right thats it I am trolling you no more.

:twisted:

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 05:26 PM

Humph, my cyber-stalker lasted less than 2 days. Weak dude!

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 05:30 PM

Well its easier if you dont
A. Agree almost entirely with everything the person says
B.You arent stalking some foxy vampire looking chic.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 3.Feb.2006, 06:16 PM

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Humph, my cyber-stalker lasted less than 2 days. Weak dude!

Oh do tell.

I'm starting to get jealous... am I the only one that posts here and doesn't get stalker?

Posted by: VikingHumpingWitch 3.Feb.2006, 06:54 PM

You got FR, don't be greedy woman!

I go to pub now for beer and smoking and swearing and illicit sex (well ok not that last one). Have a nice weekend everybody.

Posted by: Streja 3.Feb.2006, 08:10 PM

Really Espen...those words are common in your circles? I've been to Norway quite a lot and have never heard those words...same goes with those Swedish words you quoted. Maybe I should ask my brother-in-law, who is Norwegian if he uses those words and his friends and we will see?

People still don't get it...I'm surprised...my topic was abou CENSORSHIP on The Local!!!!
You are saying swearwords are great and you use them all the time, yet you cannot actually express them on this forum. Stop telling me off for just doing what you want us all to do...which is swear and curse and use genitalia synonyms when we have a disagreement.

Posted by: Littlefair 3.Feb.2006, 08:12 PM

Still no apology I see :twisted:

Posted by: Streja 3.Feb.2006, 08:14 PM

So sorry Littlefair.

Posted by: Streja 3.Feb.2006, 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Beth)

or complement you with profanity?

i'll take the fcking complement any old day.

streja...what about swedish skit? ok or not to say?

skit is fine to use, and my English boyfriend is quite shocked to hear it can be used...but then he uses the F word sometimes...so I don't get his problem?

Posted by: Streja 3.Feb.2006, 09:04 PM

oh and humpingwitch...it is not b.o.ollocks at all...I know a lot cos I meet lots of teenagers in Sweden as well as older people...plus I grew up here you see? Older people don't really shout fitta when they are angry, they shout helvete, satan, faaan...etc.

Genitalia words are just used by younger people, and there is a big debate in Swedish schools and in the media about how this has increased and how worrying everyone thinks it is that young girls are being called whores and fitta everyday.

One of my relatives uses helevetsjävlafanskap as one word.

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 3.Feb.2006, 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Streja)

I guess you have been visiting your brother in law outside of Oslo!??
Then you have not been in Norway yet..
Those words are used. I speak norwegian and live in Norway like all of my ancestors did.
Better ask your brother in law then, but he is a "Sivil økonom" and words like that doesn't fly around in his environment. Emil doesn't use words like this in his occupation... He might have heard this on a boys-trip "Guttetur".

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 3.Feb.2006, 10:49 PM

Five years with high education gave me language like this:
"Egil! Ta den feite rævva di over hit så vi kan byne å drekke" I say when I am thisty for a beer with Egil...

And lets say a friend calls and say that he won lots of money on horserace I say:
"Du kødder, ditt fittetryne!"

Posted by: Beth 3.Feb.2006, 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Streja)

the reason i asked was that the subject matter that profanity or swear words stem fromwithin a language stem from what is taboo in that culture.

what is profane in one language may not be in another. skit på svenska is about as "offensive" as damn is in english...while sh!t in english is stronger language.

i might guess that your boyfriend is surprised about the circumstances where skit is acceptable, not that it gets used in general.

also, one reason why the english vulgarity is more "censored" than swedish is because this is an english forum. espen is babbling in norwegian and since we all know what espen is capable of it likely contains right foul stuff...but who cares?

it's not a norwegian forum (and please espen...that's neither encouragement nor acceptance of norwegian profanity.) :twisted:

Posted by: Beth 3.Feb.2006, 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Melanie)
Oh do tell.

how can anyone reasonably stalk you melanie..when you are the super stalker with spy credentials and gadgets galore :wink:

Posted by: Streja 3.Feb.2006, 11:31 PM

He is not from Oslo dear...Espen, just because you hang out with slobs doesn't mean every Norwegian does.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 3.Feb.2006, 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Streja)

My bad, I thought that was that other topic.

Well, my opinion is pull the content filter off all words and if someone decides to call someone f-tta or c-nt in any language, we can make use of the report abuse button. I don't have an issue with the language itself, as Beth mentioned elsewhere. If it's used to call someone names of belittle them, that's where I begin to have a problem. To me the exclamation "Son of a whore!" and the directed remark "you are a dirty whore" are two entirely different things. And really, it's possible to be exceptionally rude, uncivilized, and inappropriate without venturing into profanity.

Am I back on topic, Streja?

Posted by: Beth 3.Feb.2006, 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Melanie)

fcuk yeah sistah!

Posted by: Ezpen The Caveman 4.Feb.2006, 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Streja)

Better to be slobs than snobs... :twisted:
I'm not sayin all norwegians do these things, and if they would probably not use this type of language to a foreigner (if they really don't mean it)...

Posted by: Streja 4.Feb.2006, 03:41 PM

Yes Melanie you are. smile.gif

I agree with you completely...every word hehe smile.gif

Posted by: Eyallow 4.Feb.2006, 03:47 PM

Hey guys if you need a place to dump all your obscene words and curse till you drop dead...aim at me, paster me with all the nasty words you can ever imagine...all the C and F words in all languages, i am the chasm that swallows everything without flinging :shock:

Posted by: Julie Ryman 4.Feb.2006, 03:48 PM

It's also possible to harrass, abuse, and belittle people without using profanity. And then these people get upon their high horse and brag because they never use profanity(???????????????????????).

Posted by: Streja 4.Feb.2006, 03:49 PM

Now I suddenly feel like throwing lots of nice words at you...strange that...you now come across as a sort of Jesus figure...I will glady let you bear our burdens...

Posted by: Jen6 4.Feb.2006, 05:22 PM

Did anyone in the US get a change to see 20/20 last night? The general topic was manners, but obscene language was covered quite extensively.

Posted by: Roowhip 4.Feb.2006, 06:54 PM

Julie Ryman wrote:

FR-Ouch or maybe oof.

Perhaps FR has never been in sudden physical pain because this image is just too funny..one drops brick on foot or even better accidentally cuts their leg off---
"oh oopsy daisy, ouch ouch ouch...ooohh Oh my goodness gracious me.."

I am not one to swear often but like it has been mentioned, on the right occasion and for the right effect I see no problem with it..however one time that I was in sudden immense physical pain was when I fell over a cement pile and did damage to my knee..it was quite therapeutic to scream out sh.. sh..fck.

Couldn't agree more Julie!

Posted by: Jen6 4.Feb.2006, 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Julie Ryman)

Agreed.

It wasn't my intention to talk down to anyone or brag - simply to state that one can exist without. Some of my dearest friends have extremely colorful volcabularies. Must be my wiring. When I speak, I don't conciously decide not to cuss, lol. I guess it just comes down to the fact that it's not important to me.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 4.Feb.2006, 08:16 PM

QUOTE (Jen6)
It wasn't my intention to talk down to anyone or brag - simply to state that one can exist without. Some of my dearest friends have extremenly colorful volcabularies. Must be my wiring. When I speak, I don't conciously decide not to cuss, lol. I guess it just comes down to the fact that it's not important to me.

I didn't think you were talking down or bragging at all.
[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/873.gif[/img]
I agree with the not making a conscious decision not to, though for me it depends on the people I'm around. I do tend to use profanity for deliberate effect, so I can't say I never use it. I also use it in moments of surprise (the brick on the foot example) and sometimes it's the patois of the group.

As a point of interest, some books that have been banned or censored with the cited reasons including profanity or offensive language:

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
My Friend Flicka by Mary O?Hara
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Posted by: Julie Ryman 4.Feb.2006, 08:43 PM

Jen, you're cool. That was not slanted at you, just some people in general. I didn't view you that way. smile.gif I do respect the choice not to curse, I just don't think it means your poor, unsuccessful, uneducated, unhappy...if you do, like some imply. I do try not to use curse words too much, as I have 3 kids, and I don't think it's cool coming out of the mouth of a 3 year old! So, when in their presence (which is most of the time) I don't.

Posted by: Julie Ryman 5.Feb.2006, 02:52 AM

I just happened to be looking at the "What Isn't Sexy" topic,and hells bells if there isn't a post from you-know-who(FR) where she says DAMN! OOOOPPPSSSS!!!! :oops: Guess she does let them rip sometimes. :twisted: I'm proud of you,FR!

Posted by: Cyberfluff 5.Feb.2006, 03:09 AM

You'd better QFT it before she goes and uses the edit button to do away with the evidence.! [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/859.gif[/img]

Posted by: Julie Ryman 5.Feb.2006, 03:14 AM

I don't care. I saw it, that's all that matters. She probably should edit it so here cover isn't blown.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 5.Feb.2006, 03:20 AM

I moved it to the thread where it originated with a link back here.

Posted by: Julie Ryman 5.Feb.2006, 03:24 AM

Melanie, when I came across that, I just couldn't resist, I really tried. I'll not say anymore now, no need to rub it in.

Posted by: Julie Ryman 5.Feb.2006, 03:32 AM

QUOTE (FR)

Posted by: Julie Ryman 5.Feb.2006, 03:34 AM

QUOTE (FR)
Ouch or maybe oof.

-Or maybe DAMN!!!!

I'm done now.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 5.Feb.2006, 03:35 AM

Ok. No rubbing. I moved my QFT to the not sexy thread, even. Want to talk about book banning in schools because of language?

Two books that are frequently on the banned list are To Kill a Mocking Bird and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn due to the use or words considered racial slurs. I find this interesting because both books actually have a fairly strong stance in favor of acceptance/tolerance.

Posted by: Cyberfluff 5.Feb.2006, 03:37 AM

QUOTE (Julie Ryman)

I thought you were serious. I even felt bad for a minute there. Man, I'm sooooo gullible. :shock: :oops: [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/859.gif[/img]