The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Formula One Season

Where can I watch the season?

avery1204
post 9.Mar.2010, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Hello everyone,

As I do not have cable TV, I was wondering if anyone knows a good venue to watch the F1 races starting this month?

I have the internet, but I like the BBC coverage in particular, and it is not available (legally) to watch online.

Thanks for any help.

Scott
Go to the top of the page
+
teslar
post 9.Mar.2010, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Your local sports bar if you have one. O'Leary's or Harry's should have it on for instance, assuming there is no football at the same time.
+
Rick Methven
post 9.Mar.2010, 01:02 PM
Post #3

If you have boxer you can subscribe to Viasat Motor Sport channel or watch it afterwards for free on TV6
+
Jasoncarter
post 9.Mar.2010, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Is Viasat Motor on Boxer?

Either way, the Swedish coverage is appalling with two of the worst commentators I've ever had the misfortune to have to listen to. They are utterly utterly obssessed with pit stops and don't really seem to have a clue what's going on, nor any real insight into the sport. Most of the video packages are team supplied and are pretty hideous PR puff and there's precious little insight or informed discussion. The British GP coverage from 2008 was presented from the car park at Silverstone, ffs.

Treat yourself to a VPN connection and watch it live over the internet on the BBC to see how sports coverage should be done - their coverage last year was in a class of its own. Google vpnuk as they have a very good service and only cost about 70kr per month. Which is cheaper than Viasat motors, btw. Send me a personal message if you want any more info.
+
Micardo
post 9.Mar.2010, 11:07 PM
Post #5

I have FILM ON on my PC and despite what others say its still working for free and prety good to apart from the occasional freeze. If you can get German TV its on RTL2 or if you have sky its on the red button on BBC news. Is RTL2 available online ?? Good luck, it looks like an unpredictable season to come.
+
*Guest*
post 10.Mar.2010, 10:01 AM
Post #6

what is Moto gp like here? i know eurosport do it back home an hour after the race.
+
byke
post 10.Mar.2010, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Just get a UK IP from a company like UKVPN.INFO
+
avery1204
post 10.Mar.2010, 12:14 PM
Post #8

Thanks for all your replies, that gives me a few options to look into. And I did find the comments about the Swedish coverage from the Silverstone carpark funny. I think the BBC coverage is spot on, I like the technical build up as much as the race, and it looks to be a good season with some outstanding teams and drivers.

Anyone gonna make an early assumption on a winner? Alonso (Boo!), Hamilton/Button (Hooray!), Vettel (he seems like a nice chap), Schumi (very possible...), Massa (I don't reckon), Webber (unlikely but possible), its just to close to call!!!!
+
Micardo
post 10.Mar.2010, 12:44 PM
Post #9

You are right, the BBC coverage is great and the tech stuff is an important part of it. The team they have are so good, they been there, done it, know what they are talking about. I think the season is open, the best prediction is that it will be one of the big four that takes the championships, beyond that who knows ?? Try to get sky and watch it on BBC red button, you get four days of coverage plus all the build up and analasis afterwards, plus re runs if you miss it. Nothing better. TV6 coverage is pant.
+
Jasoncarter
post 10.Mar.2010, 12:55 PM
Post #10

I'd be surprised if McLaren didn't take it this year, with Hamilton doing the honours. Red Bull might not be as strong as some people think because of the effort they threw into the car at the end of last season (to the detriment of the '10 car). Sauber might be a dark horse but have two pretty meh drivers. I think the big drama this season is going to be predicting at exactly which race Alonso starts throwing his toys out of his pram. I reckon he'll have started making snarky comments about Massa's comeback by the time we reach Silverstone...
+
jack sprat
post 10.Mar.2010, 01:09 PM
Post #11

There are four or fiive drivers in there with the class and skill to pull it off,but as is often the case, it will ;likely be down to which team has adapted best to the new regulations and has the fastest and most reliable motor.
No doubt we'll have a better idea of that after the first couple of races.
Be nice to see it stay wide open till late in the season, with honours being spread around,...apart from Alonso of course,...with a bit luck his wheels might drop of,...again. laugh.gif
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 10.Mar.2010, 06:07 PM
Post #12

I miss Murray
+
jack sprat
post 11.Mar.2010, 02:07 AM
Post #13

Got to agree with you there, presuming of course you mean Murray Walker.
Remember him from many moons ago commentating on what is now called motocross,...was scrambling back then,...a pretty fair description.
James Hunt was also a great guy as a commentatator as well as a driver,...never pulled any punches on or of the track, he would tell it like it was,...its all just a bit too pc for me now,..big shame,..I mean cant even tell any jokes about spank my ass Mosley and his dodgy cronies without getting into bother. laugh.gif
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 11.Mar.2010, 07:56 AM
Post #14

There is only one Murray in F1 that matters. Who cares about Gordon.. he was just a name whilst Murray was a face and THE voice (including on my PS3 F1 game)

Luckily in Aus, the F1 broadcast commentary was taken from the British so we got Murray and James Hunt and it was good. In the Aus studio we had Alan Jones hosting the program.

Here we get nobodies commentating an in the pit we get some bit who's only value real value is that you spent the time wanting to shove something else in her mouth to shut her up laugh.gif

MotoGP will be just as boring now that Eurosport (2) has been ousted form the broadcast. Toby Moody and Julian Ryder were a couple of gits but entertaining, but with Randy Mamola adding the expert commentary it was great. It feel like that away from the racing they had good rapport with the riders and the team. The Swedes feel like they are outsiders, probably getting drunk in the corner on free booze at the MotoGP functions whilst the Brits mingle.
+
jack sprat
post 12.Mar.2010, 10:04 AM
Post #15

Very early days yet after the first practice session,but looks like the Ferraris could be a major threat.
Be interesting to see how things pan out between Massa and Alonso.
Be surprised if there isn't more than just a touch of friction between them, both on and off the track.
Incidently Sutil in Force India was fastest first session,..could be the dak horse.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: