The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Boys blocked from bearing 'girls only' Lucia crown

Miss Kitten
post 12.Dec.2008, 04:29 PM
Post #1

I actually find it quite amusing and surprising that in hyper politically-correct Sweden, boys are denied the opportunity to be Lucia. Yes, the real St. Lucia was a woman and it's tradition that a girl is chosen to play her, but still.

In Shakespeare's Hamlet, the main character is a young man, but several women actors have played him over the years.

http://www.thelocal.se/16308/20081212/
Go to the top of the page
+
Fjällräv
post 12.Dec.2008, 04:55 PM
Post #2

If it was the opposite situation ie. the tradition being for the guy to wear the candles and not the girl - there'd be a st!tstorm!!

/HRF *not into wearing candles but maybe playing with the hot wax* :wink:

Paulo - you behave yourself now, you hear?
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 12.Dec.2008, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Us boys have a lot more common up there than to parade around with lighted candles in our hair. The day will come...hopefully when they are standing there when their hair catches fire like a common criminal getting the electric chair. Holecutter keeping his fingers crossed that there is a blond bimbo fire storm in the "main event" in Stockholm this Xmas.

:twisted:
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 12.Dec.2008, 05:34 PM
Post #4

I knew somebody would post this. This news is golden, like a US senate seat. You just don't give away a Lucia crown for free.

I just love how people want to keep revising and changing things in the name of "equality." If this is the thing that gets people's goat in Sweden, that's pretty sad.

personally I don't know why we celebrate a Catholic saint to begin with. Aren't we suppose to be Lutherans? The Frozen Chosen?

I fondly remember being a young boy and having total crushes on the Lucia girls. I was the best star boy ever, but I never got my candle waxed sad.gif
+
Fjällräv
post 12.Dec.2008, 05:44 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Shark99 - Förlorare)
I was the best star boy ever, but I never got my candle waxed sad.gif

Not to worry Sharkey =) I'm sure Paulo will have some advice for you... where is he anyway? :wink:
+
Paulo +fab muscular than ...
post 12.Dec.2008, 05:59 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Fjällräv)
Not to worry Sharkey =) I'm sure Paulo will have some advice for you... where is he anyway? :wink:

Ya will never get your candle waxed if ya ain't a bad boy! :twisted:
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 12.Dec.2008, 06:16 PM
Post #7

LOL, I just melted my wax.
+
Fjällräv
post 12.Dec.2008, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Yay! Paulo's here! knew the Dawg wouldn't disappoint! laugh.gif
+
Bra_billie_boy
post 12.Dec.2008, 08:29 PM
Post #9

wow wow, things are really getting Lucia-tic over here. Some one is getting their candle waxed and some one else has melted their wax. I wonder what comes next wink.gif
+
Fjällräv
post 12.Dec.2008, 08:31 PM
Post #10

Over to you Paulo!... laugh.gif
+
SEK
post 12.Dec.2008, 08:34 PM
Post #11

I've often wondered how many families have sacrificed their daughters hair to this tradition. Surely, someone has caught their hair on fire. It seems so dangerous, seriously, and I'm not one of these over-protective, keep people safe from themselves, type person. I mean aren't we supposed to NOT let our kids play with fire?

SEK
+
post 13.Dec.2008, 01:12 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (SEK)
It seems so dangerous, seriously, and I'm not one of these over-protective, keep people safe from themselves, type person. I mean aren't we supposed to NOT let our kids play with fire?

kids wear ones with light bulbs for that reason
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 13.Dec.2008, 01:25 AM
Post #13

"“It’s a disgrace that some schools don’t let guys be Lucia. Why couldn’t Lucia be a guy?” he said."

I once knew a kid who wanted to be Dale Evans (Roy Rogers wife) his Mother told him to shut up!

Is there anymore to say?????????
+
Marmi
post 13.Dec.2008, 01:41 AM
Post #14

the Equality nazis in Sweden are just taking it too far now (actually, they've been doing it for a while now). Boys aren't supposed to be Lucias and that's that. Why the H-ll does EVERYTHING have to be equal?? It's just too much. My son is gonna be raised as a boy, and he's not gonna wear pink tutus, and my girls are gonna be raised as girls.

I am so glad that I don't live in Sweden anymore, but I am worried about my nephews and nieces though - I hope their gender identities doesn't get totally screwed up.

:evil:
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 13.Dec.2008, 02:25 AM
Post #15

I think we will be just fine without you...
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: