The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Bringing a UK car to Sweden

Hjälp mig...

post 18.Jun.2015, 09:45 AM
Post #16
Joined: 13.Mar.2015

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 17.Jun.2015, 07:53 PM) *
If you have a PN, even if your RHD is UK insured, it is not valid in Sweden. If you have an accident you are not insured and it will be your fault even if the other car drove ... (show full quote)

How does that work? Is it some special rule by the UK insurances? (I.e."if you have a Swedish PN, we won't pay for damages in Sweden.") If so, why would they do that? It seems peculiar to me. I have dual nationalities (Swedish and German), and have had a PN (or equivalent) in both countries all my life. Such a rule would basically mean I could not use a car to travel between my two home countries. But fortunately my German car insurance was valid in Sweden, and my current Swedish insurance is valid in Germany. (And yes, I have "tested" it... sad.gif wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page
Rick Methven
post 20.Jun.2015, 09:32 AM
Post #17
Location: Linköping
Joined: 30.Nov.2005

The law is down to where you are registered as resident. Both Germany and Sweden require you to register your place of residence. In Sweden when you register with your local Skatteverket, you are liable for tax on your worldwide income in Sweden and as far as EU law is concerned any car that you own must be registered, taxed and insured in the country that you are officially resident irrespective of your nationality.
Go to the top of the page
post 20.Jun.2015, 12:21 PM
Post #18
Joined: 13.Mar.2015

True, the car must (actually, "should") be registered in the country of residence, but it can be insured anywhere in the EU; the insurance just has to be valid where you are using the car:

When I was about to move to Sweden, I told my German car insurance company that I would be living in Sweden for a few months ("provanst?llning"), and I asked them about the insurance status for that time. And they told me in writing that my car insurance would remain valid for up to 12 months of living in Sweden. When later I was offered permanent employment and I decided to stay, I registered and insured the car in Sweden. So I don't think I was effectively uninsured during the months inbetween, and indeed the German company paid when I had a minor accident during that time.

Maybe though I did run afoul of some registration/taxation regulations by not changing my car registration right away, but I think this is getting into a grey area. Just being registered with the Skatteverket does not automatically mean Sweden is the permanent country of residence. I have relatives with both nationalities, who own properties in both countries and are registered in both, too. Then regarding taxation it becomes a matter of where you spend the majority of your time. I don't think anyone expects them to reregister their car when they go to their sommarstuga for two months a year. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
post 20.Jun.2015, 07:19 PM
Post #19
Joined: 5.Jul.2012

I was lucky when I moved to Sweden. They still drove on the left - and my RHD English car fitted the bill. I went back to the UK in '67 - a month before they changed sides so to speak, and then when I returned, I sold my UK car in England and bought new over here, thus slipping nicely into a LHD.
I doubt if there are many on this forum who have even driven on the right over here, other than by accident that is. Back then cars were often fitted with headlights that were suited to both sides of the road, and you simply took the bulb out, gave it a little twist and put it back into the new position and all was well. But even then, insurance was the bugbear, and green cards had to be carried as well as the logbook and your driving licence. And there was no EUSSR, just EFTA. Much simpler.
Go to the top of the page

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: