The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Educated Australian - Where are the jobs?

Is there anything out there?

mc87
post 13.Jan.2010, 12:51 PM
Post #1

I have recently moved to (Malmo) Sweden from Australia. I am in my early 20s and looking for advice/suggestions on entering the employment market. For the past couple of months I have been applying for an array of jobs from retail and factory to administrative and professional. So far I have not had a single interview.

I have recently completed two bachelors degrees from an Australia University: one is Law (hons). I do not speak or understand Swedish beyond the basics (although I am currently on the waiting list for the Swedish course, which is approximately 3 to 4 months).

Does anyone have any suggestions on entering the (professional) job market? Should I attempt to find internships? If so, can someone tell me how they work.
Go to the top of the page
+
kaze
post 13.Jan.2010, 01:36 PM
Post #2

- Copenhagen.

You're lucky being in Malmo, you have a country with a saner unemployment rate (half that of Sweden) and a city with a more international disposition right on your doorstep.
+
Gwrhyr
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:19 PM
Post #3

There are no jobs in Sweden. But there are plenty in Denmark. Check out Copenhagen.
+
just a question
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Check in Denmark. Forget about Sweden. It's a country in decadence.
+
Puffin
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:24 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (just a question @ 13.Jan.2010, 02:22 PM) *
Forget about Sweden. It's a country in decadence.

Really? Where is all this 'decadence' you speak of? - sounds fun biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
+
Puffin
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:27 PM
Post #6

However if you search for a job in Denmark as a non-EU citizen you will need to obtain a Danish work permit - Denmark is VERY restrictive about giving work permits to non residents - especially non EU

I know someone who was stripped of her Danish workpermit after 8 years after she and her Danish husband moved to Sweden
+
just a question
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:28 PM
Post #7

economic decadence. Time will tell. As always do.
+
Mox Mox The Manburner
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:29 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Puffin @ 13.Jan.2010, 02:24 PM) *
Really? Where is all this 'decadence' you speak of? - sounds fun biggrin.gif

Indeed, I wish there was more decadence where I live. Alas, it´s a rather dull place smile.gif .
+
Gwrhyr
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:32 PM
Post #9

Yeah... I don't really see the decadence... unless we're comparing Sweden to Haiti.
+
Puffin
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:33 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (just a question @ 13.Jan.2010, 02:28 PM) *
economic decadence. Time will tell. As always do.

What so you mean by economic decadence?
+
just a question
post 13.Jan.2010, 02:35 PM
Post #11

Time will tell. You'll see.
First, Estonia needs to crash. Then, Sweden.
+
mc87
post 13.Jan.2010, 04:03 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Puffin @ 13.Jan.2010, 02:27 PM) *
However if you search for a job in Denmark as a non-EU citizen you will need to obtain a Danish work permit - Denmark is VERY restrictive about giving work permits to non residents - especially non EU

Yeah I thought I might have 'visa' problems if I want to work in Denmark. Any idea on how can I obtain a Danish working permit? Is it any easier since I have Swedish Residency?
+
Furu
post 13.Jan.2010, 05:00 PM
Post #13

After residing in EU country for 5 years you are allowed for an EC Long Term Resident status which gives you equal rights in other EU countries as citizens.

Unfortunately, Denmark & UK (one more country I do not remember) do not grant these permits.

This may be of help

https://www.workindenmark.dk/

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-US/
+
mc87
post 13.Jan.2010, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Thanks Furu. I guess that leaves me in a fairly bad position: no jobs in Sweden, no visa for Denmark.

I will wait the 3 months to get into the Swedish course and see if that improves my prospects of employment.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 13.Jan.2010, 06:38 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Furu @ 13.Jan.2010, 05:00 PM) *
After residing in EU country for 5 years you are allowed for an EC Long Term Resident status which gives you equal rights in other EU countries as citizens.

If you are here for a shag, a love refugee, sambo with a Swede, then you can get citizenship after 3 years. Only need to be sambo for 2 of those years.

London is the other option. Even with the UK economy is up the creek without a paddle it is probably easier to get a job there than a non-Swede without special and rare skills in Sweden during a boom.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: