The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Help me find a magazine internship

I need help finding an internship at a magazine

Xann
post 13.Mar.2010, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Hello!

I'm a third year journalism student who needs to do an internship next year (April 2010). I would really like to do this in Sweden, but since my school doesn't have any contacts there I have to arrange it myself.

Anyway, I would like to ask you if you have some suggestions to me. The thing I'm looking for is a magazine with a music and/or fashion interest. Also, I do not speak Swedish.

I really hope you can help me smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
kaze
post 13.Mar.2010, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Magazines work in language...you really need the language
+
deepblues
post 13.Mar.2010, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Thats very well said by Kaze.
Here's list of Swedish Magazines, you can contact them and see if there would be any possibility..

Good luck.
+
Willy
post 13.Mar.2010, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Hmm... The Local?
+
dobermann
post 14.Mar.2010, 06:34 PM
Post #5

It would be easier and more profitable for you to start your own blog if you have good writing skills and have some interesting ideas to write about.
Personally I don't think that it will be very easy to find intership without swedish language... Just think about one thing: there are a lot of english language magazines/newspapers published in Sweden, but how you are going to make a story about something in Sweden without Swedish language?smile.gif As a journalist you need to talk with native people and it is a huge difference betwen what story you can get from Swede in English language and in Swedish language... Think about it.
+
Xann
post 14.Mar.2010, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Yeah, I figured it would be a huge problem so I'm trying to find a solution for that. Can you give me the names of some of the Swedish magazines which are published in English?
Oh, and I already have my own blog but not a lot of readers unfortunately.
+
dobermann
post 14.Mar.2010, 06:49 PM
Post #7

It would be interesting to know what are you writing about?
Because there are a huge difference betwen writing about your own everyday experience in street and having a blog about IT or fashion news. There are a lot of information about how to improve your blog ratings and monetize it in the internet. I am not a swede, so I don't know as much as some guys from this discussion board. In your place first i would contact library in order to get a full list of english magazines/newspapers printed in Sweden, because if I'm not wrong, Sweden has the same law as Finland, that any printed book/magazine/newspaper or other similar stuff must have a copy in national library.
+
Xann
post 14.Mar.2010, 06:51 PM
Post #8

It's a combination actually. Some post are about my daily life and some about fashion and or music news smile.gif
+
dobermann
post 14.Mar.2010, 06:53 PM
Post #9

One advice from me: consentrate on one thing instead of writing about everything and in the same time about nothing.

Post a link to your blog
+
Xann
post 14.Mar.2010, 06:55 PM
Post #10

That's good advice, but my problem with that is that it bores me. I get tired of stuff quite fast. The link to my blog is http://contagious.onsugar.com/
+
dobermann
post 14.Mar.2010, 07:20 PM
Post #11

If it bores you, then quit it. But think about how you are going to work as a journalist if it's not interesting for you.

It seems like a clear and simple blog(it's good), you could add some ads later, when it will be more popular. So here's what i think:

1.Don't write about your self in your blog unless you are famous. Who cares about some girl in Sweden?? you can write about your daily activity and experience in separated blog or in facebook.
2. Keep the content updated every day. It's important. It doesn't take so much time to add a few posts about fashion industry avery single day.
3. Express your opinion in a proper way. There are a lot of things you like or dislike, but don't express it too deep in your blog. If you have had posted some photos of a new handbag, just write about it, but not your personal opinion.Be proffesional.
4. Get some profesional help from other people. If you know a lot of about journalism, it doesn't mean that you know anything about what is the best way to pick the right font for your blog or put ads to right places.
5. If you don't like, then quit it, because if you don't do thi with a passion and love, people will understand it soon.
+
Xann
post 14.Mar.2010, 07:23 PM
Post #12

I didn't mean that the blog bored me, I meant that writing about one subject bores me. But thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely keep that in mind!
+
dobermann
post 14.Mar.2010, 07:29 PM
Post #13

You can make a few different parts in your blog, so you coould write about different things. For example there are a few great blogs about design and because it's a very wide topic to write about, blogs has a few separated parts such as :
Fashion, interior, furniture, architecture and etc.
+
Streja
post 14.Mar.2010, 07:34 PM
Post #14

are there any magazines in Sweden in English apart from monthly mag in Göteborg and that one you pick up in top shop drottninggatan? What's it called again?
+
dobermann
post 14.Mar.2010, 07:45 PM
Post #15

Visit local library and Pressbyrån and you will see.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: